Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Been searching the last few days for a good copy of this lens on eBay (only place they are available it seems). Quite a few sellers list the lens as "Excellent" or "EXC ++", but then state it has haze or small fungus. .

anyways, finally found one that supposedly doesn't even have dust in the lens, and accepted my offer of $400 + shipping. I feel i got a decent deal, even though it is on the high side. It was listed for $495. I am sure once i see the results, i will be stoked Here is the link to the auction..

LINK TO EBAY AUCTION

Now - i need to get an adapter. Which one is recommended? Megabones, fotodiox? I like Novoflex, but don't want to spend $200

Jun 12, 2017 at 07:44 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Pretty solid deal imo, the lens used to be had for 350 bucks before the Sony cameras jacked up the prices. Enjoy the lens!

Jun 12, 2017 at 07:46 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Not a steal but not outrageous either. It better be exactly as advertised though. That's one of those lenses you need patience on.

Kipon is pretty solid but can have a light leak if direct sun hits the release tab JUST so... don't really have experience with the others.

Jun 12, 2017 at 08:52 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

I'm sure you know this, but some buyers don't esp on eBay so just in case: particularly with a zoom, there's no such thing as "no dust;" sellers mean to say "very little, perhaps not even noticeable, and certainly not enough to cause image spots or contrast/flare issues."j

As to the adapters, every manufacturer has fairly bad sample variation. It's hard to be affordable making something like that for such a low volume market. You'll find people who've had a couple garbage adapters from X brand and people who've had a couple awesome ones. Hopefully, theoretically, your odds of having to do an exchange are lower with the higher-end brands like Novoflex and Metabones, but IMHO not enough lower to justify the price difference. I've seen ultra-cheapo adapters be cast instead of machined and just tear apart when you try to mount them, though. Best bet is probably middle ground with a good return policy: Fotodiox via Amazon Prime.

Jun 12, 2017 at 09:47 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Yeah, definitely concerned about accurate condition, but ebay probably has some knowledgeable sellers, as well.
I'd probably buy off there rather than waiting for one to pop up from a "safer" vendor. Could be a while.

I usually get the cheaper adapters off ebay. A bit of a crap shoot, but probably half are good, maybe more, and usually $10 apiece, so $20 for the adapter isn't bad. I think fotodiox is a bit better, my OM/EOS is almost the perfect thickness.

I think there are 2 main things in an adapter: enough blackening inside, and proper distance. I have been thinking I'll get some matte black model paint and paint one on the inside. It seems a bit shiny. Taping etc for spray paint sounds like a hassle.

I was testing a 20mm Nikkor with a 5D several years ago, it did improve in the corners if the adapter distance correctly adjusted. i.e. infinity at infinity on the lens. I just added some thin white stickers to an adapter held together with screws, that I could take apart.

I think this is more with uwa, not sure if it is a problem by 35mm or not.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM
WhyFi
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Not a bad deal if it's in great shape. I stumbled onto mine for $230 shipped last year, which I'm not going to complain about.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:51 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Most of the cheap adapters (and even the non-cheap ones) benefit from flocking the inside. The paint they use is just too shiny. The best flocking option comes from Edmund Scientific: flocking material for telescopes. The problem is the smallest quantity you can buy is an enormous amount relative to what you need. It's not that expensive, but you'll end up with two sheets of material that provide enough flocking for every adapter you and all your friends can buy!

AmbientMike wrote:
Yeah, definitely concerned about accurate condition, but ebay probably has some knowledgeable sellers, as well.
I'd probably buy off there rather than waiting for one to pop up from a "safer" vendor. Could be a while.

I usually get the cheaper adapters off ebay. A bit of a crap shoot, but probably half are good, maybe more, and usually $10 apiece, so $20 for the adapter isn't bad. I think fotodiox is a bit better, my OM/EOS is almost the perfect thickness.

I think there are 2 main things in an adapter: enough blackening inside, and proper distance. I have
...Show more

Jun 14, 2017 at 01:11 PM
Jmonat7
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

It's a great lens, probably one of the best in that range available to mount of a sony camera and worth around $400 nowadays as others have said. On adapters, K&F Concept makes a pretty solid one, at least there is little lens play. I used to use the K&F but upgraded to a novoflex adapter because I bought more contax yashica lenses. The novoflex adapter is far superior and I hardly notice an adapter is there most of the time. The mount is just the right amount of tight, firm but not concerning. Best of luck with your new lens!

Jun 14, 2017 at 02:33 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

I was looking through the archives here, and several years ago (before A series) people were posting what they paid for these lenses. So it seems these lenses fluctuates quite a bit. Some people were stating they paid $600 for same lens, and some people said $300.

in any case, i am stoked to get this lens. Initially after a quick look at eBay and seeing what they were listed at, i had low to mid $300s. Then when it came time to find one, i checked the conditions; and many had light haze and/or fungus. So i had to adjust my budget. The lens shipped and should be here next week!

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:27 AM
bluloo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · just bought a c/y 35-70mm 3.4 for $400. Good deal?

Not a bargain, but not a terrible price, as long as it's a good copy, and you don't try to flip it. Resale would likely lead to an appreciable loss (but it often does), IMO.

I think you'll be happy with the versatility and IQ. I rarely use mine (I think I've used it once or twice in the past year), and I'm not motivated to sell it because of the IQ and versatility - and the added odd-ball 35mm macro is a neat bonus!

Hope you get a good one, and looking forward to seeing your photos on the forum.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.