New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

iPad Pro for photo editing?

nandadevieast
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Any further feedback from members on a RAW workflow and affinity?
Has someone figured it out?

Aug 07, 2017 at 06:20 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

This may be a RTFM question, but I need a bit of help with Affinity on the iPad as well. Once I am done editing a RAW image, is there a way to export a JPEG of a particular pixel dimension to the camera roll on the iPad? So far I've only found a way to export to the cloud, which I don't use.

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:18 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I haven't bought Affinity yet. From what I have gathered so far, it's just not up to the task for any more than very casual single-image editing. It's so inefficient you're probably better off just waiting until you get home in most cases. I'm still debating using it for culling photos - Adobe just released a big update for LR for the iPad which is free, so I'm going to check that out first.

Aug 08, 2017 at 03:27 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

uscmatt99 wrote:
This may be a RTFM question, but I need a bit of help with Affinity on the iPad as well. Once I am done editing a RAW image, is there a way to export a JPEG of a particular pixel dimension to the camera roll on the iPad? So far I've only found a way to export to the cloud, which I don't use.

Yes, you can resize the image on the export page. To save it to the camera roll on the iPad, use the "share" button on the bottom left and "save image" and it will save it to the camera roll, not the OK button, which goes to cloud services.

I bought the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter for my iPad Pro. Neither of my XQD card readers would work without plugging in the charger cable to the adapter, but I don't really see that as a problem since I'll have that along when traveling. I uploaded about 1,000 raw files from my D500 to the camera roll, and it took about the same time it does to my computer. Looking at the files in Photos it's very quick to double finger gesture zoom in to see it it's sharp enough to keep. Unfortunately there's no doing that directly from the card, nor any other way to import photos using a different iPad program. Apple has the card access locked down. I'm still finding my way around Affinity, but it does everything I need from an editor on the go. Major work would wait until I'm back home with full Lightroom 6 and PS6. Still, this is plenty fast and powerful enough to leave my laptop at home for my next vacation trip and save a lot of weight.

Erich

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:37 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Thanks Erich! Just did my first test project with an export to the camera roll.

For my personal workflow, this is great for an option to do high quality edits on a limited number of photos on the road. Snapseed is quicker, but Affinity is much more powerful. I have no experience with Photoshop as I use LR at home for most of my processing.

The biggest roadblock for me is that my smaller iPad Pro only imports at USB 2.0 speeds. This is exceedingly painful when there is a card with several hundred RAW images, as every time you try to import, it starts from the first file on the card, and it takes several minutes to get a preview of files at the end of the card. Realistically you can import all files in the time it takes to view thumbnails. But then you need to find the keepers, move them, then delete the rest, every single time. I understand that this is an Apple issue and not an Affinity issue though.

Hopefully this is all mitigated with iOS 11 and the file app. We shall see.

ELinder wrote:
Yes, you can resize the image on the export page. To save it to the camera roll on the iPad, use the "share" button on the bottom left and "save image" and it will save it to the camera roll, not the OK button, which goes to cloud services.

I bought the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter for my iPad Pro. Neither of my XQD card readers would work without plugging in the charger cable to the adapter, but I don't really see that as a problem since I'll have that along when traveling. I uploaded about 1,000 raw
...Show more

Aug 10, 2017 at 01:16 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I don't think iOS11 will changes things as much as people hope. Access to the memory cards will still be locked to only Apple's Photos import. The Files app will basically be a one stop place to see the various places files are kept on the iPad and various cloud services, but it won't be a full featured file system access such as Finder as on the Mac.

Erich

Aug 10, 2017 at 02:21 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

If i understand correctly:
1. I can import files via L to SD card reader.
2. Photos go to Photos app
3. Affinity and LR can import a raw file from photos app. You no longer need a twisted workflow where you imported raw's from cloud even if the images were already on your device locally.
4. Once done, you can export files to cloud and can't transfer them to hard discs via IO ports.
5. You can use flash drives like sandisc's to export files to them via IO??

Aug 10, 2017 at 03:45 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

1: Yes, Apple also has a Lightining SD card reader cable, but I have't used that one. The Lightning to USB3 camera adapter is more versatile since it has a USB plug so you can use card readers you already have.
2: Yes
3: Affinity and Snapspeed yes, don't know about LR mobile but I heard only jpg unless you are a CC user, then yes to raw.
4: Export to any cloud or save to the camera roll. Export from camera roll thru iTunes or other transfer mode once connected to a computer via cable.
5: I have no experience with the new flash drive/Lightning/iPad connectors that work like extra storage or do file transfers.

Erich

Aug 10, 2017 at 03:55 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Thanks Erich, very helpful reply.
On 4th point: A computer is still needed. I keep all my pictures in 2 hard drives and used to USB them to my computer as and when I wanted to work on any number of images.
With ipad there are no such IO port based solution available (don't know about the flash drives) unfortunately.
One of the great things about iPad though is that the screen can lie down...it doesn't have to be up like a MacBook.

ELinder wrote:
1: Yes, Apple also has a Lightining SD card reader cable, but I have't used that one. The Lightning to USB3 camera adapter is more versatile since it has a USB plug so you can use card readers you already have.
2: Yes
3: Affinity and Snapspeed yes, don't know about LR mobile but I heard only jpg unless you are a CC user, then yes to raw.
4: Export to any cloud or save to the camera roll. Export from camera roll thru iTunes or other transfer mode once connected to a computer via cable.
5: I have no experience with the new
...Show more

Aug 10, 2017 at 06:32 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I'm also starting to play with Astropad for the iPad, which basically turns it into a Wacom style tablet for use with the Apple pencil. It definitely has huge potential.

Erich

Aug 10, 2017 at 06:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

jdc562 wrote:
You got that wrong. Regarding the "handle" question, when I tried to download my raw files onto the old Ipad Pro as I described, the tablet froze. I went back to Apple and they confirmed that they had erred: the Ipad of that time could not handle raw files. No matter what your definition of "handle," if the Ipad stopped working when downloading raw files, then it couldn't handle the files--and your semantic antics fail, too. Apparently you are unaware of the truth that older Ipads were unable to handle raw files. Moreover, contrary to the next part of your
...Show more

I don't know how to put this nicely, but your post is BS. I've been uploading and using Raw files from Nikon and Panasonic cameras on one iPad or another since 2012 and now Fuji and Olympus files as well.

The connector is proprietary and very nice compared to usb connectors where you don't have to care which way it goes in, and one the latest Pro versions (I don't know about the other models because I've moved on) it transfers at usb 3.0 speeds - which is as fast as it gets in PC land. I don't hear people lamenting the woeful transfer speeds of the Surface with it's usb 3 speeds, so get a grip on a bit of reality. reality will make you a happier person - eventually.

Are you really ok with your-self spreading this level of disinformation?

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:11 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

ELinder wrote:
I don't think iOS11 will changes things as much as people hope. Access to the memory cards will still be locked to only Apple's Photos import. The Files app will basically be a one stop place to see the various places files are kept on the iPad and various cloud services, but it won't be a full featured file system access such as Finder as on the Mac.

Erich

Sadly, I believe you are right but the file system changes and the new replacement for the ancient JPG will be a worthwhile bit of progress, though I think it will have to wait a year or two for others to catch up to reap the benefits. In the meanwhile it will be a case of teething pains.

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:14 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Pavel wrote:
I don't know how to put this nicely, but your post is BS. I've been uploading and using Raw files from Nikon and Panasonic cameras on one iPad or another since 2012 and now Fuji and Olympus files as well.

The connector is proprietary and very nice compared to usb connectors where you don't have to care which way it goes in, and one the latest Pro versions (I don't know about the other models because I've moved on) it transfers at usb 3.0 speeds - which is as fast as it gets in PC land. I don't hear people
...Show more

Don't tell me I'm wrong, tell Apple. They were the ones that confirmed that the Ipad I was using in March 2013 could only work with jpg files, and they admitted they were wrong when their "genius bar" staff said the Ipad I was using then could handle RAW files. I made that very clear in my post. Read it. This was with an Ipad bought new from Apple in March 2013 and was running their latest IOS and software for that time. You claim you were using RAW files on a Ipad in 2012? According to Apple, Ipads didn't have that capability then and wouldn't have it until later than March 2013. If you want to argue more, argue with Apple. The information originated with them, not me. It looks to me like you are misreporting your dates of initial use of RAW files.

Your USB info is also screwed up. USB 3.0 is not "as fast as it gets..." It has been surpassed by 3.1 gen 2 and the announced 3.2. Thunderbolt 3 also surpasses USB 3.0. Sounds like you need to follow your own admonitions about spreading disinformation.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:13 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

jdc562 wrote:
Don't tell me I'm wrong, tell Apple. They were the ones that confirmed that the Ipad I was using in March 2013 could only work with jpg files, and they admitted they were wrong when their "genius bar" staff said the Ipad I was using then could handle RAW files. I made that very clear in my post. Read it. This was with an Ipad bought new from Apple in March 2013 and was running their latest IOS and software for that time. You claim you were using RAW files on a Ipad in 2012? According to Apple, Ipads didn't
...Show more

At the risk of using very bad grammar ... you couldn't be more wrong.

While I do not doubt that you may have had a bad experience with an Apple 'genius' ... no one is perfect, least of all Apple Store employees. Humans do make mistakes.

iPads user have been able to import RAW image files since the very first iPad was introduced in 2010. Period. All you had to do was either use the SD Camera Connection adapter or a compatible USB card reader that won't draw too much power from the buss.

If you want, I can create a video doing so to prove it. Can the original iPad process RAW photos? No. All the apps available for iOS 5 or iOS6 (the only versions of OS the original iPad can run) did not have that capability. All the photo apps available did utilize the embedded JPEG preview . ... BUT ... even the original iPad could recognize, preview and load RAW images to the iPad storage and then users could download those same RAW files to their computer later on.

I agree that in wasn't until 2012-13 that any apps for iOS actually offered true RAW processing.

When Apple changed from the 30-pin connector to the 8-pin Lightning connector, RAW images could be loaded using a lightning to USB cable from Day One ... PROVIDED ... you used a USB card reader that was compatible and didn't draw too much power from the buss.

The newest Lightning to USB3 adapter avoids this issue by also offering an extended Lightning port to allow attaching an external power source to power the USB device which will then allow the use of almost any USB card reader available.

Your USB info is also screwed up. USB 3.0 is not "as fast as it gets..." It has been surpassed by 3.1 gen 2 and the announced 3.2. Thunderbolt 3 also surpasses USB 3.0. Sounds like you need to follow your own admonitions about spreading disinformation.

What you have to ask yourself is if Pavel was intentionally trying to mislead fellow forum members that faster throughput speeds for peripherals does not exist.

Yes, USB 3.1 and 3.2 as well as three levels of Thunderbolt exist ... but how many USB 3.1, 3.2 to Thunderbolt 1. 2 or 3 card readers are in use today? He was simply sharing that most photographers seem to be content with USB 3 throughput as it is commonplace.

Aug 12, 2017 at 04:15 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

jdc562 wrote:
Don't tell me I'm wrong, tell Apple. They were the ones that confirmed that the Ipad I was using in March 2013 could only work with jpg files, and they admitted they were wrong when their "genius bar" staff said the Ipad I was using then could handle RAW files. I made that very clear in my post. Read it. This was with an Ipad bought new from Apple in March 2013 and was running their latest IOS and software for that time. You claim you were using RAW files on a Ipad in 2012? According to Apple, Ipads didn't
...Show more

First of all, sorry about the harsher than intended tone of my post.

Second of all, I thought that we all knew that there are now faster than usb3 speeds, especially with Thunderbolt which is in a league all it's own, but I said that it was "as good as it get's in PC land" quite clearly meaning not in a workstation, as that would be comparing oranges to watermelons, but instead the obvious iPad competitor, the surface 4 pro. The Surface hums along at the same usb 3.0 speeds as the iPad pro does, when sucking down images, and people seem not to be raving how horrible it is on the surface - because usb 3 is just fine on both platforms. A non issue for even those looking to find some sort of tragedy in todays wealth of choices.

While I have a few minor nits to pick with Apples offerings, the speed is marvelous in all ways, with ingests, with raw edits and in controlling my camera, on the occasions that I use the iPad or iPhone to supplement the build in screens of todays cameras.

Perhaps that could be a topic for you to lament, how far behind LCD screens are in todays camera offerings and how poor the touch interfaces are in contrast? A much more fertile field for the disaffected, you will surely enjoy yourself greatly (while waiting out the slow, slow, maddeningly slow transfer speeds of USB 3.0)

In truth, however photographic life has never been so near to heaven-sent. It's best to see the glass for what it is - 9/10 ths full.

Aug 12, 2017 at 05:28 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I FINALLY got around to getting the USB 3.0 camera connector and I thought I would share my experience. Unfortunately I am not that impressed. I uploaded a 16GB card full of D810 RAWs.

I connected the USB 3 camera connection kit and it immediately updated it's firmware - not sure what that was for but that's good. I plugged in the charger for auxiliary power and went to offload my images from a CF card through my Sandisk Multi Card Reader. All that worked fine, other than the somewhat inconvenient mess of cords required to perform this action.

Unfortunately you cannot pick individual images to import, because the load time on the thumbnail previews when it is reading the card is so slow it's hard to describe. Completely unusable. The only option is to import all, since nobody will be able to wait for the thumbnails to load. For most people that's probably fine, but if you want to cherry pick some images from a card full of images, it's not going to happen.

The import itself was fast enough - it seemed to run at USB 3.0 speeds up to the card's maximum read speed as advertised. No complaints there.

Once imported, I found that I couldn't really do much with the photos. I tried Apple's default photo viewer as well as the Lightroom app. My goal was to just use it to cull images, and check focus, since it can't really be used for proper editing, or at least my style of editing. Unforutnately I found I couldn't even use it to check focus because I did not see a way to load multiple images at a time into Lightroom (not sure if Affinity is better at that), and the screen resolution is simply too low so every image appeared blurry when checking critical focus. Keep in mind I am extremely picky, but it did not seem to be able to display the images in such a way I could confirm critical focus. The default Apple viewer seemed to be showing me a lower resolution version of the image than Lightroom.

So, I am still going to keep the connection kit as a backup device, but for my usage, that's all it's going to be good for with regards to photo work. I also could not find a way to access my photos through the new Files app on iOS 11.

I do have one question though - what do you guys find is the best way to get the photos off the iPad when you're done using it for backup? I'm guessing you can't just plug in the iPad to a PC and drag & drop onto a storage HDD because that would be too easy

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:43 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Mark, not sure how you can do it on Windows, but in macOS there is a free app included called Image Capture.

Once lanced, this app can show all images and video files contained in any iDevice Camera Roll. Images (and/or video files) can be selected and saved to anywhere you choose on your system. There must be similar utility type apps available for Windows ... or at least there should be

Additionally, you can move photos from any device app using iTunes. Not sure if it can access the Camera Roll on Windows though.

Addendum ... If you connect the iPad via USB to your computer, you can import using Lr just like from any other camera/card.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:36 PM
jrhoffman75
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

In Lightroom mobile, if you select Add Photos and choose Camera Roll you can add as many photos. s you select into LRm.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:51 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

CanadaMark wrote:
Once imported, I found that I couldn't really do much with the photos. I tried Apple's default photo viewer as well as the Lightroom app. My goal was to just use it to cull images, and check focus, since it can't really be used for proper editing, or at least my style of editing. Unforutnately I found I couldn't even use it to check focus because I did not see a way to load multiple images at a time into Lightroom (not sure if Affinity is better at that), and the screen resolution is simply too low so every image
...Show more

You're right in that the iPad is definitely not the device to do multiple or batch edits. Loading multiple photos into LR mobile or Affinity is not the way to go. However, I don't understand your not being able to very quickly check focus using the bult-in Photos app. When I tap a thumbnail to full screen view and gesture pinch expand the image it's obvious how good the focus is. Gesture pinch it way down and it closes that image and goes back to the thumbnails. I find it quick and easy. I suspect something else is going on if you can't check focus on a display that's 2224-by-1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi).

Erich

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:02 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

ELinder wrote:
You're right in that the iPad is definitely not the device to do multiple or batch edits. Loading multiple photos into LR mobile or Affinity is not the way to go. However, I don't understand your not being able to very quickly check focus using the bult-in Photos app. When I tap a thumbnail to full screen view and gesture pinch expand the image it's obvious how good the focus is. Gesture pinch it way down and it closes that image and goes back to the thumbnails. I find it quick and easy. I suspect something else is going on
...Show more

It's possible something else is still going on, but then I guess I still have an issue. So far no matter what program I have used to view the images, they do not appear sharp. When I get them onto my PC, I can confirm that they are extremely sharp, even at 100% or more, and the prints are as expected, but if I had looked at it on my iPad I would have deleted it. Maybe there is just something weird going on with the magnification.

I'm wondering if I'm just being too picky. I can see the pixels on the iPad screen when I'm wearing my contacts or glasses even at 1 foot away or however far away I hold it. If I look closely I can see a light granular look to the screen. I'm also used to looking at 500+ PPI screens on other mobiles, so I've been conditioned to some extent to much higher resolution.

Do you know what the easiest way to get the backed up RAWs off the iPad is? I'm assuming I can't just drag and drop onto my PC.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:33 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password