New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

iPad Pro for photo editing?

riotshield
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

So reading the early reviews of the new iPad Pro (10.5"), it looks pretty impressive. The benchmarks rate it with more processing power than the 12" Macbooks and even the base 13" Macbook Pros, and it has 4GB of RAM and a calibrated screen, so on paper it looks like it should be good enough for photo editing on the go. However, I'm not sure on the software side if there are any photo editing apps that can replace a laptop (I heard Lightroom Mobile was still a work in progress). Thoughts?

Jun 12, 2017 at 03:40 PM
mullysr
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Take a look on the App store at Afinity. I am trying it on my Air 2 and it works fine. There are a lot of videos on the Serif (Developer) site. I am considering the 10.5" Pro also. App is $20.00.

Jun 12, 2017 at 04:19 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

None of the apps even come close to full blown photoshop with plugins on a workstation, but Affinity is the best iPad solution to my knowledge. Lightroom's app is pretty weak.

One thing I cannot find out is how well Affinity deals with huge RAW files - so few people seem to use the iPad for that though I have yet to find a single reliable source who can tell me how it deals with 36-50MP RAWs.

I am considering getting one to cull photos, but only if it's snappy with huge RAWs, and has an easy way to get RAWs from both CF and SD onto the device.

Jun 12, 2017 at 05:32 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I sometimes use my iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro 12.9" for location work. I don't use Lightroom Mobile at all. Huge waste of time in my estimation ... but that's another story.

I have been using Filterstorm/Filterstorm Pro on the iPads ever since the original iPad I bought back in late 2010. I have upgraded iPads, but keep with the app as it does what I need to ship images with proper EXIF and IPTC metadata, captions and keywords to the publications I serve via FTP from right in the app. I use it with mainly 20-24MP RAW files and it handles those quite well when I need to prep 6-12 images for deadline.

I too, am taking a close look at the Affinity Photo app for iPad ... I just wish they would get off their butts and offer a competing option to Lightroom ... something from a volume workflow standpoint.

Jun 12, 2017 at 06:25 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I got PS CC and was very disappointed with its use on my Ipad Pro (12.9"). I was pretty disappointed as it doesnt work like on a desktop even remotely. I then bought a Surface Pro 4 and it is everything I would want to have in a tablet/laptop type of device. I bought the fully loaded version.

Last fall I bought the Surface Studio and havent been disappointed with my purchase here either. A bit pricey....but I have no regrets. Again, I bought the loaded version.

Questions?

Jun 12, 2017 at 09:52 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I have the iPad Pro 9.7 and Microsoft Surface Pro 4. SP4 is running Lightroom and PS CC and is a solid solution. The nice thing about the SP4 is that you can use a mobile mouse with LR and PS and everything just works great. I will be picking up the iPad 10.5 in the next week or so and will be able to give you give you some feedback on Affinity. The newly released version of the Surface Pro has driven SP4 prices down closer to iPad Pro 10.5 prices. Not everyone has an Adobe CC subscription, but if you do you can run two devices and the Surface Pro is probably the better solution. Also, I wouldn't rely on the iPad screen as being fully color calibrated or the iPad apps supporting color calibrated work.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:47 PM
RyanFlynn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I've been using LR Mobile, with D750 and GFX files, on the first gen 12.9" iPad Pro. It's plenty snappy, working off Smart Previews. That said, the process of getting them onto the iPad isn't exactly the smoothest.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:59 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

I've also been eyeing the new 10.5"PRO as a potential to replace my laptop on trips. I would be intending to use it to store the images and use LR Mobile to cull images and maybe edit a few of them and export to post online while travelling.

I think that IOS 11's file management system may end up being the key to making something like this work but I still need to read more and see if it will be workable. I'd want to transfer RAWs onto the iPad Pro (so would need the 256 or 512GB versions) and then cull before any type of syncing happens. In fact I'd only really want it to sync back to LR once I return home on better internet.

I'm not sure what is actually possible with LR Mobile and IOS 11 but I intend to find out. In reality the best solution for me would be just using LR Mobile to create my LR organization and cull and have that sync back to LR desktop without having to transfer RAW files through the cloud. I'd rather just have my RAW files copied over to the computer via a cable back home and then redirect LR to them....I have no idea if this can be done or not....

I admit that a better solution would likely be a Surface with full blown LR on it.....but I try to stay away from Windows if I can....

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:28 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Herb wrote:
I got PS CC and was very disappointed with its use on my Ipad Pro (12.9"). I was pretty disappointed as it doesnt work like on a desktop even remotely. I then bought a Surface Pro 4 and it is everything I would want to have in a tablet/laptop type of device. I bought the fully loaded version.

Last fall I bought the Surface Studio and havent been disappointed with my purchase here either. A bit pricey....but I have no regrets. Again, I bought the loaded version.

Questions?

Questions? Yes. Do you work for Microsoft?

Jun 16, 2017 at 04:16 AM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

gregfountain wrote:

Some of us appreciate the design aesthetics of the Surface family and are willing to pay a premium for a windows system where hardware is tightly integrated with the OS.

I have a fully spec'd out Surface Book (sans the 1Tb hard drive which is insanely expensive), and this is coming from a loaded Surface Pro. My next portable laptop will also be a Surface device.

Jun 16, 2017 at 06:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

gregfountain wrote:

Nope.....I sure don't. Prior to getting PS CC I would have told you the iPads were great, they are for most mundane activities, but I bought the first iPad Pro to specifically use PS CC with it. Very disappointing. Now you are more than welcome to go down that path, but when you are looking for something else remember I told you so.

Jun 16, 2017 at 01:50 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

LR for mobile is not very good. It's VERY basic. It's one thing that definitely works better and faster on an actual PC. Affinity is apparently better, but still, I have not been able to find reliable information on how it handles huge RAW files - nobody seems to use it for that, so maybe that's my answer...

Jun 16, 2017 at 02:36 PM
simonedf

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

@CanadaMark: Give me a couple of days and I can answer that question for you.
A7RII raws + Affinity + 2016 model of the Pro.

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:14 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

ZhanMing12 wrote:
Some of us appreciate the design aesthetics of the Surface family and are willing to pay a premium for a windows system where hardware is tightly integrated with the OS.

I have a fully spec'd out Surface Book (sans the 1Tb hard drive which is insanely expensive), and this is coming from a loaded Surface Pro. My next portable laptop will also be a Surface device.

First of all I was kidding. Use what you want as I couldn't care less. I just find it funny that every time someone posts a question about an apple product, someone comes in and tries to sell them on a MS product.

PS. Your first sentence describes what Mac users have been doing for a couple of decades.

Edited on Jun 16, 2017 at 03:25 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:17 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

simonedf wrote:
@CanadaMark@: Give me a couple of days and I can answer that question for you.
A7RII raws + Affinity + 2016 model of the Pro.

Awesome, thanks - I am very curious. Use the huge 14bit RAWs if possible, rather than the compressed 12bit ones. I bought an iPad Pro2 10.5" but I don't have it yet, and I don't want to buy Affinity unless I know it will work the way I want it to. All I care about is speed to load, zoom in to check focus, and delete if necessary - I wouldn't use it to actually edit the photos, just for culling them. I assume you can get the photos on to the device easily enough without having to use the cloud, but I am still looking into that.

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:23 PM
ShotByTom
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Herb wrote:
Nope.....I sure don't. Prior to getting PS CC I would have told you the iPads were great, they are for most mundane activities, but I bought the first iPad Pro to specifically use PS CC with it. Very disappointing. Now you are more than welcome to go down that path, but when you are looking for something else remember I told you so.

Other than not liking the way it looks, what's wrong with Photoshop on the iPad? I haven't had any problems at all. The Apple Pencil is amazing on the iPad, and makes working with photoshop so much easier.

Sounds to me like you're trying to hijack the thread and turn it into a microsoft vs apple fight...

Jun 16, 2017 at 05:14 PM
mcaswell

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

CanadaMark wrote:
LR for mobile is not very good. It's VERY basic.

Actually, I've found quite the opposite, at least in my particular workflow. I don't try to use LR Mobile in place of a computer, but rather in conjunction with, as an alternate editing platform. Weddings get loaded onto the desktop machine as usual, and then they are sync'd to the LR cloud thing, which then sends the images to the iPad. The key step, I've found, is selecting "Enable Offline Editing" on the iPad, as this downloads what I assume are smart previews, and caches them on the iPad (instead of downloading each image as needed). Speeds up the process dramatically, and also enables you to work when away from internet connectivity.

I use it to edit weddings at home when I need a break from sitting at my desk, and when I'm on the go. While, of course, I can probably work faster on my computer, I'm surprised at how efficient editing on LR Mobile is, and am also impressed by how many of the desktop features are included (the main omission I've found so far is the heal/clone tool, unless I just haven't stumbled onto it yet). The sync'ing between the two means I can pick up where I left off on either device, and the color accuracy of the iPad Pro (9.7 currently) is exceptional.

In short, in the past 3-4 months, LR Mobile has gone from a curiosity/gimmick that I initially dismissed without even trying, to an essential part of my productivity. But again, while it fits perfectly in my workflow, I realize that may not be the case for everyone.

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:35 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

Apple is the bottleneck regarding RAW files. The ideal workflow would be to get the RAW files out of the camera to the iPad then cull and do basic editing. Then sync the catalog or saved Ps file with the PC/Mac over a network and avoid the Cloud step. Once everyhing is on the desktop and mobile, any addtional changes would be appear on both platforms.

The problem is the Apple Lightning commector is proprietary and Apple has locked the connector down to see only jpegs. When the new iPad Pro's were announced, the spec sheets didn't mention anything about RAW file formats. Given that there are so many RAW file formats and no universal standard, Apple will not support all of these formats.

One now defunct app did a not so bad job with this workflow but closed up shop a few years ago. Sure, get files onto the desktop and sync it with the mobile device happens now. But getting the files onto the iPad and then syncing to the desktop doesn't happen...yet.

With the development of the file management system in IOS 11, something should happen down the road. Also, home WiFi needs to be pretty robust along with a powerful router to make anything useable. All IOS operating systems prior to 11 don't do file management like laptops and operating systems from MS and Apple. File management is done on iDevices using apps.

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:58 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

mogud wrote:
Apple is the bottleneck regarding RAW files. The ideal workflow would be to get the RAW files out of the camera to the iPad then cull and do basic editing. Then sync the catalog or saved Ps file with the PC/Mac over a network and avoid the Cloud step. Once everyhing is on the desktop and mobile, any addtional changes would be appear on both platforms.

The problem is the Apple Lightning commector is proprietary and Apple has locked the connector down to see only jpegs. When the new iPad Pro's were announced, the spec sheets didn't mention anything about RAW
...Show more

Several items you shared are false. Just plain wrong. Apple supports all common RAW image formats in both macOS and iOS (do some research on Core Image). If you can't load RAW images onto your iPad, it's likely a limitation of the app you are using or the camera/card connection itself.

I load RAW files on my iPad all the time, I don't shoot jpeg at all. That includes using a USB to Lightening connector or the 30-pin Camera Connection Kit on older iPads. I have been doing so starting with the original iPad running iOS 6 using a Kodak 50-in-1 USB card reader since late 2010. I use the sane card reader now with a Lightning to USB cable and/or the Lightning to SD Card Reader.

Many image adjustment apps created for iOS in the early going (prior to iOS 9-10) actually processed the embedded jpeg found in RAW files. Now many of the better apps actually use the original RAW image data as handed off by Core Image ... but they had to write their apps to be capable of that.

As far as skipping the Cloud, when it comes to Lightroom Mobile, that is Adobe's limitation. Currently, Lr Mobile only functions for syncing to and from the desktop version using their Cloud system. This is not imposed by Apple. If Adobe chose to offer it, users could transfer the images over their local network, unfortunately Adobe can't corral users into a CC subscription if they didn't limit the function to bouncing Smart Previews off their servers. This is not a limitation imposed by Apple.

And yes, the iOS 11 file system is a step in the right direction.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:38 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · iPad Pro for photo editing?

butchM wrote:
Several items you shared are false. Just plain wrong. Apple supports all common RAW image formats in both macOS and iOS (do some research on Core Image). If you can't load RAW images onto your iPad, it's likely a limitation of the app you are using or the camera/card connection itself.

I load RAW files on my iPad all the time, I don't shoot jpeg at all. That includes using a USB to Lightening connector or the 30-pin Camera Connection Kit on older iPads. I have been doing so starting with the original iPad running iOS 6 using a Kodak 50-in-1
...Show more

I do the same regarding my RAW files on my iPad. The Lightning connector doesn't support RAW file formats nor does IOS. What we are both seeing on our iPads is the embedded jpeg preview. With all due respect, I wish the iPad did exactly what you described.

I have done my DD and IOS, unfortunately, does not support any RAW file formats because IOS is not an operating system like MacOS. The premise of my post was to make an intial comment on IOS 11 and state that future development might make the iPad more laptop like using an IOS which will have a real file management system.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password