Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Ironman (and women)

MikeMancil
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ironman (and women)

I'm not a sports shooter but attended an Ironman to catch meat-head-son-in-law (actually a good guy) in action along with some other grab shots... Mike

#1 - Movin' On

NIKON D700    86mm    f/8.0    1/60s    1000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

#2 - Colorful Guy

NIKON D700    135mm    f/3.5    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

#3 - Manic

NIKON D700    86mm    f/4.5    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

#4 - Perfect Form

NIKON D750    125mm    f/4.8    1/2500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

#5 - Victory or Peace?

NIKON D750    112mm    f/4.8    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

#6 - Funny Girl

NIKON D700    200mm    f/4.5    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

#7 - Determined

NIKON D700    200mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

#8 - Inspirational, the lady in back is blind and finished the race

NIKON D750    185mm    f/5.3    1/4000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 17, 2017 at 09:55 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Jamse

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ironman (and women)

Very nice but personally I miss some information about shutter speed, aperture, gear and panning technic.

Jun 17, 2017 at 08:59 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ironman (and women)

Jamse wrote:
Very nice but personally I miss some information about shutter speed, aperture, gear and panning technic.

Thanks for the comment. Sorry, I usually check the Exif box (see above for data). Taken with two different cameras: D700 with 80-200mm, f/2.8 and D750 with the newer 80-400mm. Technique? I'm not a sports shooter so the shutter speeds were experimental and I froze some on purpose. Panning, since I don't do this often, was based on wing shooting (hunting) of which I do know about. Seems to have worked ... Mike

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:01 PM
Jamse

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ironman (and women)

Jun 18, 2017 at 02:03 PM
bboyd1943
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ironman (and women)

Mike...some very nice shots and very fancy bikes. Not what I rode as a kid in the 1950's....BR, Bill

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:56 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ironman (and women)

$3-10k!! Think of all the camera gear you could buy for that and not have to even train 😉. Thanks... Mike

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ironman (and women)

My son also does Triathlon 's and I try to go to any meet my ex-wife doesn't go to! I have enjoyed watching his progress. He is really into it to the point he is working out before and after work. He lives in Denver so he does his bike rides in Boulder on the same course the IRONMAN uses. He thinks nothing on going 100 mile rides....you have some nice shots!

By the way, I am flying out to Omaha to meet him. He is competing in the Age Group National Championships. He runs a sprint triathlon on Saturday and an Olympic triathlon on Sunday. I hope to get some great shots!

Aug 08, 2017 at 01:06 AM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ironman (and women)

Herb wrote:
My son also does Triathlon 's and I try to go to any meet my ex-wife doesn't go to! I have enjoyed watching his progress. He is really into it to the point he is working out before and after work. He lives in Denver so he does his bike rides in Boulder on the same course the IRONMAN uses. He thinks nothing on going 100 mile rides....you have some nice shots!

By the way, I am flying out to Omaha to meet him. He is competing in the Age Group National Championships. He runs a sprint triathlon on Saturday and
...Show more

Herb: Thanks and good luck with the weekend shoot. My usual plan, since I'm not a seasoned sport shooter, is to practice shoot many of the race leaders to establish my settings and then catch son-in-law when he passes; then run to the next event path and repeat. Shooting a race wears me out, I can't emagine actually participating 😉... Mike

Aug 09, 2017 at 02:49 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ironman (and women)

Mike, we do the same thing. Get my settings established so for the 5 seconds I have him in my sight I can shoot.....it's easier when my wife is there because we split up and shoot from different areas on the course.

MikeMancil wrote:
Herb: Thanks and good luck with the weekend shoot. My usual plan, since I'm not a seasoned sport shooter, is to practice shoot many of the race leaders to establish my settings and then catch son-in-law when he passes; then run to the next event path and repeat. Shooting a race wears me out, I can't emagine actually participating 😉... Mike

Aug 09, 2017 at 12:37 PM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ironman (and women)

I photograph several Ironman events a year and near the end I usually swear that it would be much easier to actually compete in them

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ironman (and women)

Get the swimmers entering and exiting the water. If your lens is long enough, shoot the swimmers bunched up or being hit by waves. Photograph in or as close to the transition area as possible. Also, some of the expressions on the runners' faces are amazing.

Aug 09, 2017 at 09:16 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ironman (and women)

great images; i don't detect any hints of pains on the faces of these bike riders... :')

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:31 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ironman (and women)

lol... your iron-steel '50 schwinn would make a nice training bike... ;')

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:33 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ironman (and women)

rsartin wrote:
I photograph several Ironman events a year and near the end I usually swear that it would be much easier to actually compete in them

Yeah, but I honestly wouldn't make it past the swim 😉. I may have been with you, most of these were taken in Chattanooga, but the best part was after the race when we went to Sugar's BBQ 👍🏻
---------------------------------------------

MikalWGrass wrote:
Get the swimmers entering and exiting the water. If your lens is long enough, shoot the swimmers bunched up or being hit by waves. Photograph in or as close to the transition area as possible. Also, some of the expressions on the runners' faces are amazing.

I do have some swimming shots but usually take just a few for race context. My problem is finding my subject, all the swimmers look alike in the water! 🙄
---------------------------------------------

tntcorp wrote:
great images; i don't detect any hints of pains on the faces of these bike riders... :')

tntcorp wrote:
lol... your iron-steel '50 schwinn would make a nice training bike... ;')

#4, #5 and #8 were taken within sight of the bike finish. Funny thing is they look just as relaxed as the others that were taken within a half mile of the start. It's scary how fit all these participants are!

Thanks to you all for the visit and comments... Mike

Aug 10, 2017 at 03:21 AM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ironman (and women)

Mike, I hear you. Still, I rather go to Sugar's bbq.

Aug 10, 2017 at 06:18 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ironman (and women)

MikalWGrass wrote:
Mike, I hear you. Still, I rather go to Sugar's bbq.

It's a great place. Have a great weekend... Mike

Aug 11, 2017 at 03:49 AM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ironman (and women)

I know the rider number 56. Her name is Caroline Gaynor.

Nov 26, 2017 at 05:08 AM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ironman (and women)

TooManyShots wrote:
I know the rider number 56. Her name is Caroline Gaynor.

I watched this pair during each race event and was so impressed. If you have contact with either of them and they would like a copy of this shot, send me an email and Iíll forward the full size file.

[email protected]

Nov 26, 2017 at 08:25 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ironman (and women)

MikeMancil wrote:
I watched this pair during each race event and was so impressed. If you have contact with either of them and they would like a copy of this shot, send me an email and Iíll forward the full size file.

[email protected]

Do you have a FB page and post your photos there? I could tag her...

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:22 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ironman (and women)

TooManyShots wrote:
Do you have a FB page and post your photos there? I could tag her...

No, no FB. Iíd be happy to send it to you and you could tag and forward it to her... Mike

Nov 27, 2017 at 01:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password