FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

armor281
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

Is anyone else experiencing radio trigger interference with their OCF systems? This is happening all of a sudden (past three indoor weddings) when previously never an issue. Charged batteries (eneloop) battery packs on slaves, and consistent with all units whether in master or slave mode. Any thoughts?

Jun 12, 2017 at 09:05 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

Are you using AUTO channel select?

Jun 12, 2017 at 09:12 AM
armor281
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

No I never do that. I relied on a single channel and never had to change it before so it didn't occur to ever scan for channel strength. Yes, it was that simple...

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:07 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

Ive had interference before when there were a lot of other wireless systems in place. I've had marginal luck with trying different channels.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:09 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

Phew — glad we got that sorted.

We, too, had that problem early on. Figured our human intervention on channel selection would be better than the computer searching around and throwing the commands to the slaves. And ... we were wrong.

And so it goes.

Jun 19, 2017 at 02:15 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

Also, another RT tip — avoid GROUP A

We start off camera lights at GROUP B and go down the alphabet. Early on we had all sorts of issues with TTL exposure (and other issues) with A. Not sure why. It's even worse with third party receivers/transmitters.

If anyone knows why I'd love an education.

Jun 19, 2017 at 02:17 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 600EX-RT Radio connection issues

LeeSimms wrote:
Also, another RT tip — avoid GROUP A

We start off camera lights at GROUP B and go down the alphabet. Early on we had all sorts of issues with TTL exposure (and other issues) with A. Not sure why. It's even worse with third party receivers/transmitters.

If anyone knows why I'd love an education.

With the Canon system, if you're using a flash On-Camera it is always in GROUP A. So if you're trying to use a second flash in GROUP A as an Off-Camera flash the system has to fire both GROUP A lights at the same power which can cause problems in TTL.

If you're using TTL with OCFs, you need to reserve GROUP A for your on-camera flash and start Off-Camera lights with Group B.

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.