New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Strobe Wonít Flash

Wingspar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobe Wonít Flash

The light is a White Lightning X800 that Iíve had for probably 12+ years. Canít recall ever having a problem with it. Itís used very lightly. Today was probably the first time in a month or more that Iíve used it. Got everything set up I wanted to photograph, and decided to reset the WB. No flash. If I push the ďTestĒ button on the light, it works. All settings in the camera are correct. I unplugged the camera from the light and the cord from the light, and it still does not work. Iím stumped. Electronics stumps me. I messed with it for a good 15 minutes and still the flash does not work. Any ideas as to what I should be looking at?

Jun 12, 2017 at 02:02 AM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobe Wonít Flash

If you push the test button and it works, then possibly the flash-to-camera cable is faulty. Do you have a second one to try?

You mention that you "unplugged the camera from the light and the cord from the light, and it still does not work. " Not sure what you mean; you did say that the test button worked, but unplugging the cord from the light??

If the cable is plugged into the correct socket, and you don't have a second cable, then try plugging the cable into the flash, and using a small screwdriver to short the center of the PC plug on the other end to the outer shell and see if this fires the flash. Possibly the cable is bad.

Does the camera fire other flash units using the same PC connector?

Jun 12, 2017 at 03:24 AM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobe Wonít Flash

Given the age of the flash unit, it might just be that the capacitor has (finally) given out

I have, next to my more recent Bowens Gemini's, a number of old studio units (Bowens Monolite 400, Bowens Silver, Hensel Economy 500) and speedlights (Metz 60CT and 32CT) myself. E.g. the Hensels are well over 35 years old (bought them in I think 1982), while I got the older Bowens units 2nd hand, making it very likely they are at least as old.

I noticed a couple of years ago that after not having used the Hensel units for several years (!) they, like your unit, (initially) did not 'start up'/flash after I plugged them in

Did some reading up, and found several recommendations to, even if you don't use them, nevertheless plug them in/put them under the electrical current for some time every now and then.
If this is not done regularly, the capacitor might risk to give in and break down.

So I, even if they seemed quite 'dead' (all indicator lamps burning but no flash) at that moment, plugged the Hensels into the mains for a longer (initially several hours) period and just wait for the result
To my happy surprise they, after a few hours, eventually did return to life, even if initially the recycle times were quite disappointing (10 seconds +)

Since then I have started to, as a matter of practice, plug all my flash units into the mains at least once a month to refresh/ keep the capacitors in shape
As a consequence saw their condition 'improve', e.g. the Hensels units have returned to their original 1,5 second recycle time at full power, and even the old Bowens units now recycle somewhat within the same time range at full power.

So my suggestion is to just plug the flash unit into the mains for a few hours, and then see whether the capacitor has charged up(sorry if that's not the correct English phrasing, not a native speaker)
Could be the same 'sleeper' problem due to a long period of non use I had

As far as my Metz 60 units is concerned, I also (re)charge the Dryfit batteries every month, despite the 'condition indicator' lamp on the batterypack indicating they supposedly still are charged sufficiently at that moment
Since the Metz 60 batterypacks have a built in safety against over charging, no risks in that respect

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobe Wonít Flash

It was a bad sync cord. Tried my other cord and all is good now. Did not know those things went bad. This light is always set up ready to use. The sync cord has not been unplugged from the unit for years.

Jun 12, 2017 at 06:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobe Wonít Flash

I've had a few sync cords go bad---sometimes they get kinked and inadvertently damaged. You're lucky it was something simple and inexpensive to fix!

Jun 12, 2017 at 08:33 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobe Wonít Flash

^^^^ +1

Yes, glad it was easy to solve. Always keep spares; the wire inside that thick insulation is very thin, and can break easily, although surprising if it hasn't been moved. (Possibly it might've broken at the camera end when you plugged it in!)

Thanks for letting us know the solution!

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobe Wonít Flash

PhotoTeacher wrote:
^^^^ +1

Yes, glad it was easy to solve. Always keep spares; the wire inside that thick insulation is very thin, and can break easily, although surprising if it hasn't been moved. (Possibly it might've broken at the camera end when you plugged it in!)

Thanks for letting us know the solution!

Easy fixes are always good. The end that plugs into the camera does not snap in, so it is held on with a rubber band, so the rubber band may have cause enough stress on the cord at that point over the years to where it finally failed.

I always let people know the resolution when I ask for help. Always. Itís the least I can do.

Jun 13, 2017 at 05:14 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password