Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Old Lenses -- Faster Camera. A Problem for Anyone?

PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Lenses -- Faster Camera. A Problem for Anyone?

I was watching video recently extolling the virtues of Nikon's Electromagnetic Diaphragm Control (ED) system. In the video that they noted that this system is superior to the mechanical open/close lens system used in earlier Nikon lenses (no surprise).

They went on to say that the mechanical system can not keep up with the faster frame rates of the modern cameras: I'm assuming that would mean their 10fps+ cameras. They essentially said pairing a new/fast camera with a non-ED lens would result in in "inconsistent exposures."

Just curious... Has anyone with a flagship Nikon or Cannon camera and a non-electro lens experienced this? Also it does speak to the issue of buying older non-ED lenses hoping they will work well in the coming decade -- presuming cameras continue to improve,

Jun 11, 2017 at 08:54 AM
FaulknersFoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Lenses -- Faster Camera. A Problem for Anyone?

Just a point of clarification here. Canon hasn't had truly mechanical apertures since the 80's so this is more unique to older Minolta/Sony and Nikon gear. Also, I think this is more of a "just so you know" thing and less of an actual problem. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about focus inconsistencies. In theory, the mechanism is actually closing the aperture each shot, but is an old spring good or fast enough to open wide to let the AF detect the actual focal plane? Sorry I couldn't be more help though! I'd be curious to know as well.

Jun 11, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Lenses -- Faster Camera. A Problem for Anyone?

Another point of clarification here. In standard Nikon abbreviation rules (which I think suck bad btw), ED lenses have Extra-Low Dispersion glass. The electro diaphragms are abbreviated with just E, which is not to be confused with Series E........

I also don't think this would be an actual problem for me. My eyes cause more exposure inconsistencies than any diaphragm I've used. So far, the G lenses and all the D lenses I've used work fine for me on a D3s and on the D4 that I used briefly a while ago. I've heard that you would notice the difference on the electro diaphragms better if you were doing time lapse. The AF question bugs me too.

I think Steve Perry had something to say a while back about this kind of thing. I'm going to look for it and amend as necessary...

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:08 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.