FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

First Wedding

Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Wedding

I shot my first wedding last week. Originally asked to "bring a camera and take a few pictures" when I was invited. Later learned on short notice I was to be the wedding photographer. Could not back out.

So I showed up early with my gear, everything double-checked. Got the drill down from the organizer (sister of the groom). Small guest list, very informal, very short ceremony, tight space, mid-afternoon mix of strong sun and clouds. Made decisions on positions for each element: procession, vows, congratulations/hugs, toasts, cake-cutting, cocktails and party. Wrote notes on card for my pocket. Did best I could shooting two XT1's, one with a 16-55/2.8 and the other with a 90/2.

After almost 7 hours, 2 potty breaks, 10 minutes to grab some salad and grilled salmon, I learned what y'all know well: this is really hard, demanding work. I only hope the family is pleased.

Short selection:

20170603-L-021-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-L-010-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-L-007-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-L-023-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-198-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-206-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-017-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-025-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-022-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-029-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-033-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-213-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-217-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-244-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-330-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-050-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-056-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-367-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-291-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20170603-F-294-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:51 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Wedding

I know hashtags. Now THAT's a hashtag.

Jun 11, 2017 at 05:19 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Wedding

LeeSimms wrote:
I know hashtags. Now THAT's a hashtag.

Not the couple's first time, all had a sense of fun and good humor, yep

Jun 11, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Seth Lord
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Wedding

Mike (I seem to remember your name - was it on Rangefinder.com?) I think these are great shots. And I have vast experience with Weddings. I have done one. And I have never been asked to do another.

Which is probably just as well. I could get used to it, I know I could. But for now all it's done is ram home to me what bloody terrific photographers are those who consistently do weddings.

However you have helped me with a question that keeps me awake nights - whether to ditch the D810 and D600 and switch to the Fuji XT or X-Pro systems. I like what I see on the OOF transitions and the bokeh, despite the inherent extra DOF in the crop factor sensor.

Stick with it. If you can master this stuff you can do anything. And you look to be on the way.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Wedding

Seth Lord wrote:
Mike (I seem to remember your name - was it on Rangefinder.com?) I think these are great shots. And I have vast experience with Weddings. I have done one. And I have never been asked to do another.

Which is probably just as well. I could get used to it, I know I could. But for now all it's done is ram home to me what bloody terrific photographers are those who consistently do weddings.

However you have helped me with a question that keeps me awake nights - whether to ditch the D810 and D600 and switch to the
...Show more

Good recall, Seth - yes, I spend time over at RF.com. Appreciate your encouragement. We'll see ... weddings really are pressured, demanding work. Not sure if I can handle it on a regular basis.

Re your equipment thinking, and this coming from a 220 lb fellow, lighter gear does help with the fatigue factor over hours of shooting (or carrying, hiking, etc.). Size and weight savings are significant on the glass side vs full frame, less so for bodies depending on which FF body. I used my Fuji X club shooting gear due to its familiarity, keeping it simple, and let the other variables fall where they may. Never felt slighted on IQ or DOF impact, but that's just my subjective view.

Jun 19, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Wedding

Just a side note to the conversation... the reason we shooter use FF camera beside look of files is the AF
When it gets dark... stuff happens.
even with AF assist, you will take everything you can get.

as far as the wedding shoots... quick thoughts... watch out for clipping heads and hand... especially of main subject ... in ceremony moments or toast, etc. Creatively it is okay but try not to make a habit.

Image 365... I would crop in to get rid of gentleman on left bending over and the 1/2 cut of guy.
Bring more impact to main subject and you still have one on-looker.
So next time, place your subject out of the center (to the left) or basically move camera to the right.

Good wedding to start with.. bright - sun.

FYI... don't tear yourself up trying to compete with the look of a big budget wedding.
With big wedding, the wedding shooter just need to not screw it up.
As to lower end wedding in less pristine environment, you have to work to get creativity interesting angle and make the wedding look better than it was.

Which bring me to another thought..... or question for you?
The images you deliver: Do you make them photo realistic .... or add a slight adjustment to say... make them a little warmer in WB (example)...

The answer depends on the photographer. You are providing a visual reference for the entire family to remember. How you edit helps in this vision. just saying.

-Mark

Jul 06, 2017 at 03:06 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Wedding

FF vs crop, AF

Ever shot with a D500?

Jul 06, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Wedding

not to get crop vs FF ... more about good af. Sure ... the Nikon (puke ) D500 can have nice AF.
cool beans.

generally speaking ... the FF is where the newer tech will land. but NOT always. i get it.
So just relax Mr Simms.

-Mark

Jul 06, 2017 at 05:48 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Wedding

So if you get it, why did you say it in the first place? As in, you're lobbing internet [email protected] :-)

Give me the AF from a 7DmkII over a 6D anytime.

Jul 06, 2017 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Wedding

I don't lobby bs.... sorry no.
You can take the 7dii all you want. Happy birthday.

I would rather have FF goodness.

And the center point on the 6D is pretty sweet.
Not my choice. But for some one starting out or limiting the equipment budget... a great choice.

I just like having options on af and goodness on sensor.

-Mark

Jul 06, 2017 at 07:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Wedding

FF goodness, but not for AF. Two of my associates of 6D's — the keeper ratio is way lower than a 7DmkII, purely due to AF. All other FF vs crop debates aside, AF just isn't one of them Chief.

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:41 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First Wedding

Also, compare an 80D af point spread to a 6DmkII. Crop body AF points hit more of the viewfinder. Nikon D500 and Sony 6500 go waaaaaay out to the edges.

FF AF still better (categorically)?

Horse now dead.

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:44 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First Wedding

LeeSimms wrote:
Horse now dead.

I'm reporting you to the humane society!

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:29 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First Wedding

LeeSimms wrote:
FF goodness, but not for AF. Two of my associates of 6D's — the keeper ratio is way lower than a 7DmkII, purely due to AF. All other FF vs crop debates aside, AF just isn't one of them Chief.

Lets not forget user impact on camera performance.
More importantly, you will also get more apparent in focus image from a cropper do to wider depth of field at comparable focal lengths vs a FF.

Might need to get a little extra training or attention to detail for your associates. The cropper camera can cover up weakness in technical skill.

I know ... I started with croppers (20D/50D/7D)

Since both camera are rated at -3EV in the center.... it should be a wash.

-Mark

Jul 06, 2017 at 10:40 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · First Wedding

and imagine ibis

Jul 06, 2017 at 11:07 PM
TeresaPSM

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · First Wedding

Good Job. Take an advice: See the work of another wedding photographers and inspire on them!!! Te dejo mi página, pues yo hace años que hice mi primera boda, llevaré más de 250 a estas alturas, este es un ejemplo de mi trabajo como fotografo de bodas en Segovia y Madridhttp://www.mikaperdiguero.com

Suerte!!!!!

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Veedotcom
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · First Wedding

Some of the images look like the couple were posing for other cameras. Your angles were weird which would make it hard to get proper composition. Especially if those phone camera people were in the way..lol

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:32 AM
timothymaxy

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · First Wedding

Hmmm I think they are ok? My eyes couldn't took off from that amazing tattoo! Is there anything else? like cakes, bridesmaids or wedding ring? I saw many photographers or magazine could photo others stuffs,last time I saw some wedding bands shot, their details are great. I wish I could done the same with my king will ring.

Anyway, good work.

Jul 18, 2017 at 06:20 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password