New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

WestFalcon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

Just got it today from my favorite store B&H and took a few shots with it. Macro shots with a 50D camera. I'm not going to make a lot of judgement on it in one afternoon but it is small and has its own light on the front which isn't real bright but helps. I should have used a tripod but was too lazy to get it out. Really focuses silently and smoothly. I think it seems like a pretty nice lens but I'm going to do a lot more testing before making a final judgement. Weird little lens hood (see picture). I use full frame a lot so I'm not sure it will get a lot of action except with my 7d2 and 50D. This is not for full frame cameras. A few shots are included. Definitely a different looking little lens with a built in light---two power settings. Lens hood covers the light so u can't use it with the light unless there is something I failed to read.

new picture added

Here is the little lens...F2.8

Built in ligt used here

Center pistil of a small a small flower

Drill bit I had laying around

Lens hood in center...threaded

Edited on Jun 09, 2017 at 08:25 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2017 at 07:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

How does the lens cap fit, inside the mini-ringlight.

EBH

Jun 09, 2017 at 07:57 PM
WestFalcon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

Yes , the lens cap fits inside the light. When u put the hood on, it has threads to take a 49 mm filter...weird set up

Jun 09, 2017 at 08:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

Hmm. Is there a possibility of a filter inside the light or is that only a ridged area. It would be nice to block the saliva.

EBH

Jun 09, 2017 at 08:29 PM
tiggy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

I got mine this evening. Surprised how good the IS is. I was shooting 1/6th of a second at maximum magnification and getting good results. The light is bright - brighter than the M series 28mm equivalent (which I love).

I can now sell my whole M rig. I just need to figure out if I can put an extension tube on it and then mount it on my 5d4 so I don't need to carry around another body while hiking. I'm fine cropping in.

Jun 09, 2017 at 08:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

Let us know how much coverage it has on FF and if the IQ is any good with a tube.

EBH

Jun 09, 2017 at 08:42 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

EB-1 wrote:
Let us know how much coverage it has on FF

It's an EFS lens. Unless I've missed something, they won't work on a full frame sensor.

Jun 09, 2017 at 10:12 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

The series II Canon extension tubes work with EF-S lenses.

EBH

Jun 09, 2017 at 10:37 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

Or the cheapo automatic Kenko tubes...

Not something I've done lately (don't keep many EF-S lenses about), but they do focus and report just fine.

As they do push the lens further away from the sensor and thus increase the image circle, at some point this lens should cover full-frame- and hopefully before the maximum focus distance is inside the lens.

Jun 10, 2017 at 03:17 AM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

I've used a 60mm f4 EFS on a 5D3 by using a Kenko tube that works with EFS lenses. That combo worked very nicely. Didn't notice any vignetting but I only used it stopped down. Not sure if the 35's light will work properly with an extension tube but someone should give it a try.

Jun 11, 2017 at 07:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

jmckayak wrote:
I've used a 60mm f4 EFS on a 5D3 by using a Kenko tube that works with EFS lenses. That combo worked very nicely. Didn't notice any vignetting but I only used it stopped down. Not sure if the 35's light will work properly with an extension tube but someone should give it a try.

I assume you mean f/2.8. I wish Canon had designed an EF 60/2.8 that could be used on any Canon.

EBH

Jun 11, 2017 at 08:14 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

Yes, you're right, 60mm f2.8. Just as a note, I had a set of older Kenko tubes that only worked with EF lenses. Gave that set to my niece who only has EF lenses and I bought a newer set of Kenko tubes that work with both EF and EFS lenses. It was fun to use the 60mm on a full frame. It was especially good for flower photos.

Jun 12, 2017 at 06:07 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

EB-1 wrote:
Hmm. Is there a possibility of a filter inside the light or is that only a ridged area. It would be nice to block the saliva.

EBH

If it's like the EF-M 28/3.5, it's just a ridge that allows the cap to grab on. The cap sort of "suspends" in such a way that it blocks the light and keeps all that covered. It will also work with the little lens "hood" that comes with the 35 (or 28, if you're in EOS M Land).

In my opinion, the lens hood is useless except for using it to attach 49mm filters. With both of these lenses (I only have experience with the EF-M 28) I think Canon should have done a more traditional style lens hood and then provided the weird little adapter thing for filter use.

Jun 12, 2017 at 07:31 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Canon EFS STM Macro 35 mm F2.8..new picture added

Thanks. It is not a good design that prevents use of the ringlight and filters at the same time.

EBH

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:24 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.