FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              25       26       end

Canon Summer

Milan Hutera
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Canon Summer

Ok, I feel that my oasis, my place where I go with joy because I know I'll will have the oportunity to take nice photos and nothing (except my laziness or AF performance of my gear) will not stand in my way, was violated yesterday. The equestrian facility in Samorin is still perfectly fine, but the races were ruined by a hack, who built the parkour track. He put almost everything agains the setting sun, the obstacles were at wrong places... horrible. The event itself was also quite a poor affair. It's stretched out over two weeks, so maybe everybody was fed up from it already. Not to mention the 300 + 1DIV were acting up again on quite a lot of shots. So I was extremely frustrated from yesterday.

So here are the photos that don't completely suck...

This is a Ret... I rather spent the time looking for dogs that were around because reasons...

This is a Sausage. He had better light on him than most horses...

I'm pretty sure Chris Martin and his "I want something just like this" was echoing through the facility the moment I took this... or was it just in my head?

Chloe Reid

Chloe Reid in the evening

Winner of the Evening Winning Round

Jul 30, 2017 at 01:57 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Canon Summer

7DIII - 100-400II +1.4II

Eagle ~ (C) All Rights Reserved by Sett N trenZ, on Flickr

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Canon Summer

Mikehit, that cricket shot on the previous page is really good!

Jul 31, 2017 at 01:14 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Canon Summer

Had some time to shoot today, but no time on the computer.

One pic from today.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    500mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 31, 2017 at 04:22 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Canon Summer

Navy Day (the real deal). The security services did not approve me to shoot the president and whatnot (maybe due to the fact that I was once arrested while covering a mass protest rally years ago, who knows) so That Other Guy bore the brunt of that day's work. I chose to shoot away from the official stuff in a more laid back way (so in the end, I chose 25 of his photos to be published versus my 9). No big deal.

(a bunch of snipers can be seen on the roof in the top left corner)

During the parade, Peter the Great's boat was shown - paraded around on a dropship. Bluish hue is presumably from smoke.

Missile boat.

There was a certain amount of aircraft this time around, too.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:05 PM
johnlg
• •
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Canon Summer

Nice butterfly out and about this weekend

Adonis Blue Butterfly by John Gardiner, on Flickr

Jul 31, 2017 at 02:02 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Canon Summer

Canon 1Dx2 at 25,600 ISO with a 30% crop.

1Dx2 400mm DOii + 2x2c mkiii

Aug 01, 2017 at 04:38 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Canon Summer

Milan Hutera wrote:
So I was extremely frustrated from yesterday...So here are the photos that don't completely suck...

I do a fair bit of equestrian photography (albeit in more rustic venues) and also struggle with harsh light or weather at times, and I can say that you, my friend, are an exceptionally talented photographer. (Of course, I knew that already from the other things you have shared.) Your shots are great, even if you were "struggling".

Here are some from June and July. (Interestingly, I just switched up this year from 1D Mark IVs to 5D Mark IVs.) And yes, even the rain still qualifies as "summer" here in the Pacific Northwest!

Gary R. Voth

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/1250s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Gary R. Voth

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    70mm    f/2.8    1/800s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Gary R. Voth

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF135mm f/2L USM lens    135mm    f/2.5    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Gary R. Voth

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    241mm    f/5.6    1/160s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Gary R. Voth

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM lens    400mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    1000 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Gary R. Voth

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    220mm    f/5.0    1/1250s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Gary R. Voth

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    158mm    f/5.0    1/125s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:35 PM
mpoole
• • •
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Canon Summer

Here is a green heron, taken from the kayak, which explains the slight upward looking angle. 7D II and 1-400 II

Here is a garter snake, about two feet long and poking out from behind the hot tub, love that 100-400 for versatility!

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:37 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Canon Summer

Enigma by Rob Dickinson, on Flickr

Aug 02, 2017 at 07:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Snopchenko
• • • •
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Canon Summer

This is what August is going to be like in St. Pete's...

... which probably means I won't be posting a whole lot of outdoors photos (today, for example, it's raining like hell). But then, there's indoors stuff so here's a few photos of Starcon, the city's largest annual festival of science, fantasy and movies. Really, I go there to look at (and shoot) beautiful girls - at least in theory, as in practice I mostly can't gather enough courage to approach a handsome female and ask her for a picture. I'm always afraid that she's going to construe that as a move on her.
Anyhoo... part one out of however many.

Aug 02, 2017 at 08:05 AM
technic
• • •
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Canon Summer

Snopchenko wrote:
This is what August is going to be like in St. Pete's...
http://pp.userapi.com/c635100/v635100309/1076e/XJE2BPVx5MU.jpg

I admire the Russian expertise in many fields of science, but I doubt forecasting weather one month ahead will be very reliable. I'm already amazed if the Dutch weather forecast for the next day is reasonably correct ;-)

But maybe you have the same problem as much of Northern Europe lately: despite all the US denial regarding climate change, there sure are huge changes which in my country means new temperature records every year, a very hot and dry spring period but also much more rain in summer. Over here it starts raining just when all the foreign tourists arrive for their summer vacation - I guess they like a rainy day, because they keep coming ...

Aug 02, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Canon Summer

garyvot wrote:
I do a fair bit of equestrian photography (albeit in more rustic venues) and also struggle with harsh light or weather at times, and I can say that you, my friend, are an exceptionally talented photographer. (Of course, I knew that already from the other things you have shared.) Your shots are great, even if you were "struggling".

Here are some from June and July. (Interestingly, I just switched up this year from 1D Mark IVs to 5D Mark IVs.) And yes, even the rain still qualifies as "summer" here in the Pacific Northwest!

Thank you very much Gary, you posted some lovely photos as well. The horses must look beautiful with all that green around.

My gripe with the event this year was the placement and orientation of the obstacles. Usually you have around 4-5 positioned optimally so you have the Sun behind your back. This year there were only two and they all had a right turn which meant half of the riders leaned on the right side of the horse instead of the left. That way they were almost completely hidden from me and that looked sily. The night sessions were of course better, but then I'd surely use that high ISO performance of 5DIV (or 1DxII for that matter).

Aug 02, 2017 at 08:10 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Canon Summer

Gary and Milan both, thanks for posting your fine photos of the horses, and riders, etc., too. They are always a delight to watch. On TV, there will usually be discussion by the commentators about the placement of the jumps - from the standpoint of the competitors - horses and riders. I can see how inept management of the layout would not only hamper the poor photographer, but also ruin the meet for everyone.

Aug 02, 2017 at 09:02 PM
Mashuto
• •
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Canon Summer

Not very summery themed... though was not very summery weather.

Aug 02, 2017 at 10:32 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Canon Summer

technic wrote:
I admire the Russian expertise in many fields of science, but I doubt forecasting weather one month ahead will be very reliable. I'm already amazed if the Dutch weather forecast for the next day is reasonably correct ;-)

But maybe you have the same problem as much of Northern Europe lately: despite all the US denial regarding climate change, there sure are huge changes which in my country means new temperature records every year, a very hot and dry spring period but also much more rain in summer. Over here it starts raining just when all the foreign tourists arrive for
...Show more
Well, far be it from me to claim complete accuracy on weather forecasts... that are themselves a subject of constant ridicule over here anyway. But the picture is not looking too good. What we get in reality so far is a mishmash of weather: one day it's exceedingly (for a northern place like ours, that is) hot and humid, as it always is before massive rainfall, on the other day we get... exactly that: rain galore, sometimes with thunder.
But enough of my rambling... here be the second installment from the Starcon.

Two Spider Men encounter one another.

Since the whole thing was/is happening on/around the Navy Day, here's a visual reference... a Marine Hare on stilts (later seen walking, but no less impressive nonetheless).

All along I had a few bars from Black Sabbath's "Computer God" song in my head: "Love is automatic pleasure, virtual reality..." (and then that badass guitar riff)

As it was the last time around, one of the key attractions (for me, at least) were the fully functional old computers of various stripes (Soviet, US, Japanese), some from as far back as the 70s. Most were being used for games (when I tried one two years ago in a game of the original Tetris, I understood that the hands still remember it, 25 years later) but lo and behold... someone is seen here writing code. How sweet.

Catwalk (there's going to be a lot of that stuff, even though I did not shoot as much of it as I did in 2015).
(to be continued)

Aug 03, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Canon Summer

Wyoming Pronghorn
5d3 400 5.6 1.4x

Their eyes are so big, and so far back on the side of their face, they can see you as they walk away.

Edited on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2017 at 03:38 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Canon Summer

More Starcon.

And then... I saw Her. As good a Lara Croft as I've ever met. ❤ Judging by the area I've found her (that day and then the next one), she was with the managing team of the event.

John Snow. I have to admit, I've read Martin's books way before the whole "Game of Thrones" craze had started, and found them nothing to write home about. Yet, a hundred million Lemmings can't be wrong, so...

A bunch of furries are having a smoke outside.

Day two (for me). This time I came back equipped with a flash (my trusty old 430EX first generation, aka "The Nuclear Accelerator"), and tried using it around. Mostly in direct orientation with 1/16 or 1/32 manual power.

Kawaiiiii!
(to be concluded)

Aug 05, 2017 at 12:26 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Canon Summer

5D + 24-105L:

Aug 06, 2017 at 03:42 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •