FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12              25       26       end

Archive 2017 · Canon Summer

technic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Canon Summer

Over the last two weeks I have been enjoying taking pictures of emerging dragonflies in the local city park. This park is very small and the 'ponds' are nothing more than shallow concrete structures (most of them leaking ...) with mud on the bottom. The park had been earmarked for destruction to make room for a bigger parking lot for the city theater. Fortunately in 2008 the financial crisis came to the rescue, the new theater didn't materialize and ten years later politics is still discussing what to do with the park (locals like the park, but parks don't make money like parking lots ...).

Although I knew there are plenty of dragonflies in the small park in summer, I hadn't expected to see dragonflies emerging from the ponds but suddenly there were plenty of them, maybe because the ponds almost went dry and the larvae realized this was their last chance to get out and become a dragonfly ;-) Metamorphosis is fascinating to watch, e.g. seeing how the wings expand to over 100x their packaged volume. What makes it even more interesting to me is that insect metamorphosis was discovered for the first time in my city (detailed observations published in 1660) by someone who lived on the border of the large pond/canal that later became this city park.

The emerging dragonflies (damselflies) in these images are small, the larvae are about 1 cm length and fully expanded damselflies are maybe 3-3.5 cm. Emergence usually happens away from the borders of the pond, to make life more difficult for photographers. As my 100-400II has IQ problems at closeup, I improvised by using my 55-250STM lens instead (sometimes with extension ring) which worked pretty well. And yesterday I was lucky enough to find one so close to the border than I could just use my 100L macro lens, always holding the camera above the water with arms stretched. I would love to use f/16-22 or focus stacking for better DOF, but it's not possible without putting a tripod in the water (maybe one day, but I already get enough funny looks with my current technique ...). I'm hoping to also find emerging true dragonflies, some big Anax / Aeshna species are present in the park but nobody seems to know where they are emerging (maybe in some private garden nearby?).

2017_11462 by Niek Haak, on Flickr

2017_11587 by Niek Haak, on Flickr

2017_11597 by Niek Haak, on Flickr

2017_12641 by Niek Haak, on Flickr

2017_12667 by Niek Haak, on Flickr

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM
racoll
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Canon Summer

Wow!!!

Andy

Jul 23, 2017 at 01:35 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Canon Summer

Anhinga "Surf -Boarding"

http://www.leighwax.com/img/s7/v160/p2368301238-5.jpg

http://www.leighwax.com/img/s1/v19/p2368301098-5.jpg

Jul 23, 2017 at 02:35 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Canon Summer

ISO 32,000. Running the pipe

Jul 23, 2017 at 04:20 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Canon Summer

Herding

Jul 23, 2017 at 04:46 PM

p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Canon Summer

Did someone mention "snow"?
http://pp.userapi.com/c637131/v637131522/6901a/NeQPuIjYiJ4.jpg
This is everything that you need to know about the Summer '17 in St. Pete's.
Actually this is conglomerated hail left over from the storm seen on Jul. 22nd. But despite the overall decently warm weather (around +15 °C at least), but this was found more than 24 hours later, in the early evening of Jul. 23rd.
http://pp.userapi.com/c637131/v637131522/69010/a_-4MgEk8sE.jpg
Mary Poppins did not get very far this time...
Another "WTF" type of a random picture shot in an industrial/railroad neighborhood on Jul. 23rd while we were out shooting a railroad station.

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:40 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Canon Summer

I wanted to spend my 1000th post on an image that represents partly what i do for a living, which is advertising and photography. This usually means working for large companies with commercial interest. But the past few years i wanted to get involved with projects that do something with education for local communities, so i came up with a concept that educates visitors of city parks about the animals that live there by placing large photographic exhibition signs along walking paths. (the photo's displayed on these signs give talented photographers a chance to exhibit their work, so it not only benefits the local visitors, it also helps local photographers).

http://www.kraght.nl/pics/promo1.jpg

This summer i finished a project in my hometown and am now talking with other cities to roll this out on other places as well.

Regards,

Marcus

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:50 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Canon Summer

therealthings wrote:
I wanted to spend my 1000th post on an image that represents partly what i do for a living, which is advertising and photography. This usually means working for large companies with commercial interest. But the past few years i wanted to get involved with projects that do something with education for local communities, so i came up with a concept that educates visitors of city parks about the animals that live there by placing signs along walking paths.

http://www.kraght.nl/pics/promo1.jpg

This summer i finished a project in my hometown and am now talking with other cities to roll this out on other
...Show more

That display stand looks fantastic. Congrats on the post milestone as well

Jul 24, 2017 at 06:04 AM

p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Canon Summer

Milan, the biathlon babes, I mean, shots looks fantastic. I think none of these women have ex-boyfriends 'cause men are probably afraid to mess with girls that can chase them down and shoot them on the spot. And those that did mess up probably don't live to tell.

Jul 24, 2017 at 09:39 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Canon Summer

Snopchenko wrote:
Milan, the biathlon babes, I mean, shots looks fantastic. I think none of these women have ex-boyfriends 'cause men are probably afraid to mess with girls that can chase them down and shoot them on the spot. And those that did mess up probably don't live to tell.

Haha, well I don't know about that... . Paulina (10) looks most badass on photos, but yesterday I watched a recent interview with her and she seemed quite nervous and shy. It probably had to do with the moronic moderator, who I believe was automatically on the first name basis with her, while she wasn't on a first name basis with him. This is a "trait" of many sports journalists here, they are automatically wanting to be on the first name basis with athletes. I find that rude and unprofessional.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:53 PM
technic
• • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Canon Summer

therealthings wrote:
I wanted to spend my 1000th post on an image that represents partly what i do for a living, which is advertising and photography. This usually means working for large companies with commercial interest. But the past few years i wanted to get involved with projects that do something with education for local communities, so i came up with a concept that educates visitors of city parks about the animals that live there by placing large photographic exhibition signs along walking paths. (the photo's displayed on these signs give talented photographers a chance to exhibit their work, so it not
...Show more

Great idea, might be interesting for our local city park as well if they decide to keep it after summer (I have some contacts in the council, but it seems there still isn't a decision). Now that I visit the park frequently I get to explain to other visitors what can be seen there, and people have no idea... Just last week I had two visitors watch metamorphosis for the first time in their life ;-) We also have an endangered toad species in the park which halted construction efforts for years. According to the politicians they are no longer present (chased away, probably) but I heard one last month, guess I have to visit early one day and get a picture for confirmation ;-)

I just wonder how long these displays last, even concrete structures are quickly demolished here by youngsters with a certain background ;-(

Jul 25, 2017 at 07:24 AM
erielake
• • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Canon Summer

summer eagle

Jul 25, 2017 at 07:56 AM
Geert Koning
• • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Canon Summer

80D 100/2.8L

https://photos.smugmug.com/Flowers/DaisyMargriet/i-zchDNkp/0/390e45a5/O/IMG_2234.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Flowers/Flowers/i-qX8ZMRP/0/24f230d9/O/IMG_2209.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Flowers/Flowers/i-kkwwQzt/0/09a63ede/O/IMG_2219.jpg

Jul 25, 2017 at 08:16 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Canon Summer

Terrific panos, Chris!

Chris Moy wrote:
8 image pano of NYC from Gantry Plaza State Park. I took this with the 45mm TS-E and 1.4x tc. I like

5D MK III, f/11, 13 sec, ISO 100
https://photos.smugmug.com/Cityscapes/i-49NdcjC/0/f3157e0d/X3/8F0A8208-Pano-Edit-X3.jpg

Jul 25, 2017 at 08:42 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Canon Summer

Found a tiny Carolina Wren nest on our front porch a few weeks ago. There were 4 of them crammed inside this tiny nest.
Photos are nothing to write home about and are simply documentary.

I was amazed to see how quickly they developed!

These shots are only 7 days apart.

Dave

Jul 25, 2017 at 09:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Canon Summer

Wet clothes rack.

© jcolwell 2017

Canon EOS 6D; EF100-400mmL IS II; 1/200 sec; f/5.6; ISO 200

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:04 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Canon Summer

Now are there any scientists in this group specializing in fluid mechanics that can analyze the droplets to determine why some are larger/longer than others?

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Canon Summer

Ain't nature grand.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:45 PM
technic
• • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Canon Summer

pliukait wrote:
Now are there any scientists in this group specializing in fluid mechanics that can analyze the droplets to determine why some are larger/longer than others?

I'm just a simple biochemist but I guess the answer is simple too: the droplets are still forming ...

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:55 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Canon Summer

EOSM 22mm F2

After sunset the red reflecting back off the clouds at Herring Cove Beach looking towards Race point. I wanted to leave the couple of people at the bottom of the frame for scale.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.