New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

My setup for the FN2 button is AF-L

My finger hit the FN2 button while in manual focus mode and the camera snapped into focus. Didn't know the manual focus mode could be over-rode by the AF-L function. I really like this. An odd version of back-button focus. Really like this.

I must have missed the upgrade note on this capability, or did I miss a discussion thread on this subject?

Jun 09, 2017 at 04:06 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

I found this somewhere and made a note of it:

Go to Autofocus Setting --> Instant AF Setting and set this to AF-C (autofocus mode C); put the camera in manual mode (mode M): now, as long as you keep the AF-L button pressed, the camera is continously focusing.

Maybe it's what you are talking about.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

Kenneth Farver wrote:
I found this somewhere and made a note of it:

Go to Autofocus Setting --> Instant AF Setting and set this to AF-C (autofocus mode C); put the camera in manual mode (mode M): now, as long as you keep the AF-L button pressed, the camera is continously focusing.

Maybe it's what you are talking about.

Thanks for the reply. After reading your response I recalled the setup process for continuous focus. My accidental find turns out to be a non-continuous focus version. One less setting to change.

Jun 10, 2017 at 09:17 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

I looked at mine last night as was able to set my FN2 button to AF-On and then turn the focus off from the shutter button for AF-C (left it On for AF-S) and Now I can focus with the FN2 button and it won't be disturbed by the shutter button. Thanks for the post, I think I'm going to like this.

I wish when Fuji did these updates they would point to the page in the new manual for more info.
At update 2.0 I went to sit down with the updates and manual to find the pages myself and ran out of time to find them all. I'll look for time to sit down again.

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:26 AM
brafman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

I don't think this is a recent change. I believe Fuji cameras have had this function for a while.

Jun 11, 2017 at 08:35 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

brafman wrote:
I don't think this is a recent change. I believe Fuji cameras have had this function for a while.

You are probably right, but I couldn't find this method in the manual.

Jun 11, 2017 at 08:52 PM
mahicks

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

I read about using this method on Adam Bonn's website in regard to the X-Pro1. I prefer to keep my X-Pro1's set up that way as I like using the back button better than the half press on the shutter.

Only problem is some lenses like the 23mm 1.4 won't work as you have to click the ring forward (I think its forward) to get into manual focus and doing so locks out the back button focus.

Jun 12, 2017 at 02:54 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

mahicks wrote:
I read about using this method on Adam Bonn's website in regard to the X-Pro1. I prefer to keep my X-Pro1's set up that way as I like using the back button better than the half press on the shutter.

Only problem is some lenses like the 23mm 1.4 won't work as you have to click the ring forward (I think its forward) to get into manual focus and doing so locks out the back button focus.

That is why I always use the switch on the camera body and never use lens' manual clutch.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:34 PM
_erikn_

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

I use this all the time. It's called Instant AF in Fujis world. I always use it on my X-T1 as it's the only way to back button focus, but less so on my X-T2 which can be set up for back button AF the right way, but still very useful in MF.

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:59 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

"but less so on my X-T2 which can be set up for back button AF the right way"
Would you be able to share with me the "right way" on the XT-2
thanks for your time, Ken.

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:53 AM
_erikn_

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

How to set up back button AF on the X-T2:
Menu -> Set up -> Button/dial setting -> Second page, Shutter AF -> Off (For either both AF-S and AF-C or one of them, depending on preference).

Then in the button/dial setting (or by holding the disp/back button), set up a button of your choice (mine is AE-L) to be AF-ON.

Then AF will be disconnected from the shutter button, and focus will be activated by the selected AF-ON button in the AF modes selected previously, as well as instant AF in MF mode.

Jun 17, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

thanks _erikn_, that's what I have done, Ken.

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:09 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

James I've been using auto-focus in manual focus mode similar to how you are describing, though most of the time I'm in single focus mode since I got into the Fuji system with the original X-Pro 1, so it's not a new thing.

In truth I'd have left Fuji over that one thing, if it were not for this workaround. I depend on back button focus.

And the current models have made all of this much more easy for us who need to focus on the back button. I just wish they had placed the buttons with it in mind as well.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

Pavel wrote:
James I've been using auto-focus in manual focus mode similar to how you are describing, though most of the time I'm in single focus mode since I got into the Fuji system with the original X-Pro 1, so it's not a new thing.

In truth I'd have left Fuji over that one thing, if it were not for this workaround. I depend on back button focus.

And the current models have made all of this much more easy for us who need to focus on the back button. I just wish they had placed the buttons with it in mind as
...Show more

I assigned it to front button so I can access it with my middle finger. Much more comfortable than the options on the back or top of the camera. I just wished Fuji had put this in their manual.

Jun 24, 2017 at 03:43 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pleasant Manual Focus Surprise

The X-pro 1, the Fuji E2 and the Fuji X100s that I have, unfortunately don't have that ability, but it certainly sound like a very good solution. Great, now I have to look into a new model.

I actually sent my X-Pro 1 and the much loved 18-55 to my seventeen year old daughter when she expressed a desire last month to get back into photography. I miss the gear, but think of it as seeding the next generation properly.

I admire Fuji's continual refinement and also especially that they keep older discontinued products in mind with fabulous firmware updates. It creates trust, I think, and a sense of long term confidence. Nikon sure could learn a lesson there.

Jun 24, 2017 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.