FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2017 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

zalmyb wrote:
Interesting! I'm a huge proponent of trying everything, not sure why people bash that idea. I'll check out his video!

(here's the link: http://ryanbrenizer.com/2017/06/sony-a9-discussion-qa-rolling-review/ )

and he means EVERYTHING!

Jun 08, 2017 at 08:45 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

OK, so what's the relevance / Implication here?
This guy bought/ was given this camera so now every other wedding shooter should go out and buy one/ has justification for buying one too?

Sorry, seems a bit of a " So what?" to me. I hope that we haven't all turned to such sheeple that what the other guy is using has some implication on what the rest of us should use. I'm sure that follow the other guy mentality will sell more than one of these things however.

Seems to me there is getting to be an A9 thread in every forum and it's getting a bit much. For those interested in the camera, I think the info should all be in the one place for easier reference.
For those not interested in the thing, I think the info should all be in the one place for clarity of the other threads.

It is a gear discussion after all with little relevance to weddings as the thing can be used for more than just shooting nuptials.

Jun 08, 2017 at 09:11 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

Tony Hoffer wrote:
and he means EVERYTHING!

talking about me or Ryan?

Jun 08, 2017 at 09:20 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

glort wrote:
OK, so what's the relevance / Implication here?
This guy bought/ was given this camera so now every other wedding shooter should go out and buy one/ has justification for buying one too?

Sorry, seems a bit of a " So what?" to me. I hope that we haven't all turned to such sheeple that what the other guy is using has some implication on what the rest of us should use. I'm sure that follow the other guy mentality will sell more than one of these things however.

Seems to me there is getting to be an A9 thread in every
...Show more

I don't know if you're intentionally being difficult...

I explained it in the very first post. Ryan Brenizer is a top 5 wedding photographer in the world. He literally has techniques named after him. Most importantly, he's as busy as they come. As a result, he's extremely demanding of his gear.

The mirrorless cameras have stereotypically been known as "not ready for prime time", so to me when such a person parts ways with the D5 juggernaut in favor of the A9 it makes one wonder how far we've come and what it means for the industry.

Again, I'm not saying that the guy is "better" than any of you guys, but statistically I bet he shoots far more wedding related frames than most on this forum or in the world.

Jun 08, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Amadauss

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

Littleguy wrote:
I think you missed the point - yes the A9 is not really a sports camera because they don't have the lenses just as D5 and 1Dx are not really wedding cameras - they are too loud to be wedding cameras they are flat out sport cameras.

Just purchased the 1Dx II and we do use it for weddings. Yes maybe a little loud in the church, but I can now set the ISO 10 to 12 thousand and get a great shot in low light. My brother uses an A9 and I played around with it and the photos are great but the build just makes me feel like it will not hold up as long as the canon tanks.

Jun 08, 2017 at 11:56 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

eke2k6 wrote:
I don't know if you're intentionally being difficult...

I explained it in the very first post. Ryan Brenizer is a top 5 wedding photographer in the world. He literally has techniques named after him. Most importantly, he's as busy as they come. As a result, he's extremely demanding of his gear.

The mirrorless cameras have stereotypically been known as "not ready for prime time", so to me when such a person parts ways with the D5 juggernaut in favor of the A9 it makes one wonder how far we've come and what it means for the industry.

Again, I'm not saying that the
...Show more

Actually, that's quite different to what you said in your one line first post but anyway.
I always question a lot of mainstream thinking and attitudes so if you call that being difficult, I'm sure you'd not be alone!

I read your first post and my position is till " So what?".

I wouldn't give a flying duck who is using mirror less or any other bit of gear. I don't know who this guy is and in any event, I'd be far more influenced by another of the "nobodys" here that I would know aren't getting a kickback of some sort and I can rely on their opinion to be honest and from the heart.

Heiko here has bought one. If it's good enough for him, it would be good enough for any wedding shooter I'd say. If I were interested in an A9, I'd be far more interested in what he had to say about them than the fact some other shooter celeb ditched another brand and went elsewhere.

If mirrorless is ready or not for weddings is largely going to be a matter of personal choice the same as using one or the other brands of SLR is. If you or anyone else is going to be influenced by what some celeb shooter is using, good luck to you. I don't doubt many will however and would probably throw a lot of money out the window changing systems again if their pet rock star got a kick back to use and be a mouthpiece for a rival brand tomorrow.

Such is the insecurity of many shooters these days whom have completely forgotten that a good craftsman does not derive his skills and ability's from his tools, but it comes from within and they could still make masterpieces from the most rudimentary and basic tools they had at hand.
My Chef mate has rocked up countless times and offered to cook Dinner and made mouthwatering meals out of what was in the fridge using what equipment was in out Kitchen.
Putting my wife in his kitchen is not going to suddenly improve her culinary abilities.

The question is not whether mirroless is ready for the wedding industry but rather are you ready for mirrorless?

What it means to the industry is just another new camera in the market. They all have their new features that the other manufacturers will copy or exceed when they release a new model.
No big deal here either.

I can't see myself even considering mirrorless in the foreseeable future.
It just doesn't offer any feature or benefit to fulfill any problems or drawbacks with what I have presently which is none.

Firstly, I'm PERFECTLY happy with the SLR's I just updated and don't have any problems with the way they operate or the results they deliver.
More importantly, my clients are well satisfied with what I'm giving them now as well and I can't see them being any more satisfied with the results that came from a Mirrorless cam. Their standards of good and bad are very much different to that of shooters and technical quality is almost a non consideration in what even a P&S camera can deliver these days if used correctly.

2ndly, I consider it bad business over capitalise on equipment and I also consider the price of the A9 and the Sony accessories such as lenses etc to be basically a rip off and unjustifiable.

3rdly, the Mirrorless format or the A9 offer no features or benefits that would come near justifying the expense over what my SLR's deliver, ESPECIALLY to my clients. Mirror less would let me do nothing I can't ( or want) to do right now.

Finally, the mirrorless format or the A9 is not going to bring me more people through my door, cause the clients I have to spend more money or cause them to come back to me more often.
As these are the fundamental principals of building a business and would justify the purchase of any equipment. The fact this gear would have absolutely ZERO effect on my bottom line makes NO financial sense to invest in it.
There are plenty of other things that would be more helpful in that regard both in equipment and non tangibles.

What would be a far more sensible investment for me and I'd guarantee most other shooters here would be to put some money into their marketing and business education. That would benefit them a lifetime and never be superseded by a new model in a year or 2.
It also would make a HUGE difference to their bottom line no matter what gear they went with and potentially make the purchase of such overpriced equipment a lot more justifiable even from a tax write off POV.

From a business consideration, I wonder which cam will have the greater resale value in 3 or 5 years time? My bet is the Nikon ( or similarly priced Canon) will hold it's value far better than the niche Sony.

One has to remember, it's not just a camera we are talking about here, it's the SYSTEM.
Maybe that should have been no.5 on my list of reasons not to change to Mirrorless.
I have so much gear for the current system I have amassed over the years and a whole Myriad of different job types, replacing it all would be a nightmare not only from a financial POV, but also a logistical one. I have made quite a bit of my own gear in the way of adapters, cables, power supplies and other off the wall things I could probably never do it again now because I have forgotten the skills and knowledge it took to build them in the first place.

Perhaps one day shooters ( at least the serious ones) may realise that they would be so much better off investing in themselves and improving their own capabilities both in the long and short term rather than always investing in equipment that will only give them a brief benefit before they move on to some other new bit of technology.

It's not really an argument or a question,each camera/ system has their attributes and drawbacks.
It's just a matter of personal preference over which is better for the individual person.

Now at least the discussion is somewhat relevant! :0)

Jun 09, 2017 at 12:49 AM
eke2k6
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

Your relatively incoherent rant completely missed my point.

Mirrorless has SEVERAL advantages over traditional DSLRs, but to this point the downsides have made me clutch my D750s even tighter. The EVF lag, poor battery life, AF speed, and poor reliability have been typically associated with mirrorless.

Now here comes a well established world class photographer gear head, who says he can shoot an entire wedding on two A9 batteries, that the A9's AF is as fast and more accurate than that of the D5, and that the no-blackout EVF is a revolutionary way to shoot.

Does that then spur professionals like us to consider the advantages even more, like COMPLETELY SILENT shutters (I can't tell how many times I've cringed at the sound of my camera clacking away during ceremonies), instant realtime exposure feedback, and true eye tracking?

Better gear doesn't make a better photographer. But damn sure helps a good one get better photos.

Jun 09, 2017 at 01:06 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

I think the A9 is the first real grown up mirrorless that can compete as professional alternative for dslr's. I would nut jump ship for it (happily shooting 5D4's now) but I can see a Canon FF mirrorless that works with my EF lenses in my future (I know Canon is still behind in mirrorless, but they are no doubt working on it) and the A9 is good for pushing boundaries and breaking barriers.

Jun 09, 2017 at 03:22 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

eke2k6 wrote:
but statistically I bet he shoots far more wedding related frames than most on this forum or in the world.

well the method does demand 20-50 fames to make a single image so you might have a nice bet there

Jun 09, 2017 at 06:14 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

evertdoorn wrote:
...I would nut jump ...

Sounds dirty

Jun 09, 2017 at 08:46 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

eke2k6 wrote:
Your relatively incoherent rant completely missed my point.

Mirrorless has SEVERAL advantages over traditional DSLRs, but to this point the downsides have made me clutch my D750s even tighter. The EVF lag, poor battery life, AF speed, and poor reliability have been typically associated with mirrorless.

Now here comes a well established world class photographer gear head, who says he can shoot an entire wedding on two A9 batteries, that the A9's AF is as fast and more accurate than that of the D5, and that the no-blackout EVF is a revolutionary way to shoot.

Does that then spur professionals
...Show more

We are nearing the tipping point with mirrorless tech so we are going to see a repeat of the epic forum wars we saw in the 'film vs digital' era.

Jun 09, 2017 at 09:33 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

I just used my A9 for the first time in anger on a pre-wedding in Paris. Got to say I'm impressed. Took the full Nikon kit with me and only used it once and that was because I was lacking an 85mm Sony Lens.

My only real holdup with the A9 is my current sony lens collection. When I get that sorted I could see it taking over for me. The autofocus was the thing which held me back on the A7 but sony have nailed it with the A9. Personally I prefer the AF to my Nikon D4.

Alex

Jun 09, 2017 at 10:03 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

My point earlier is that just because XXXXX photographer shoots with XXXX camera does not mean that it should be accepted as a universal truth that XXXX camera has arrived. I can point to weddings shot by very good photographers who used Leicas, Sony a7 (and all it's variants), Fujis, etc. Just because they can pull it off doesnt mean you can pull it off.

I dont care how many weddings XXXXX shot or how good he is or how recognized he is in the industry because I have to be the one to press the shutter. There will be zero discernible difference the images you produce with your current gear, or the A9. Like I said countless times, will you enjoy using it. There is only one person in the universe that can ever answer that question for you.

Jun 09, 2017 at 10:46 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

BSPhotog wrote:
Sounds dirty

Hey, I'm Dutch - nut jumping is our national sport

Jun 09, 2017 at 10:50 AM
eke2k6
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

canerino wrote:
My point earlier is that just because XXXXX photographer shoots with XXXX camera does not mean that it should be accepted as a universal truth that XXXX camera has arrived. I can point to weddings shot by very good photographers who used Leicas, Sony a7 (and all it's variants), Fujis, etc. Just because they can pull it off doesnt mean you can pull it off.

I dont care how many weddings XXXXX shot or how good he is or how recognized he is in the industry because I have to be the one to press the shutter. There will be
...Show more

The point eludes another. It seems every time someone compliments a prominent photographer on this board, other photographers jump and talk about how "it's personal." Trends are trends for a reason. There's a reason digital has overtaken film. There's a reason the smartphone now rules the world.

I think the A9 is somewhat of a coming of age tale for mirrorless. I don't plan on switching, at least for the next few generations, but it's still exciting to see.

Jun 09, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

canerino wrote:

I dont care how many weddings XXXXX shot or how good he is or how recognized he is in the industry because I have to be the one to press the shutter. There will be
...Show more

It is just another data point and I don't think anyone here is going to run off and buy a whole new system just because he seems to like this camera. When it is someone that relies on 1-series bodies (probably the last area mirrorless was expect to challenge) says this, I think it worth listening to in terms of what Sony has managed to produce.

Jun 09, 2017 at 11:07 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

I remember when Ryan was shooting with a D200. My, how far we've all come.

Jun 09, 2017 at 12:00 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

I'm convinced the recent trend in "I switched to XXXXX" is just attention whoring.

Easiest way to stay relevant in the industry is the pre-order the newest camera gear.

Jun 09, 2017 at 12:04 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

Here's a few quick ones from yesterday. Honestly, the focus system once you set it up is ace. My keeper rate was about 20% higher than with the D4.

http://www.alexanderbeckett.com/alexbeckett/files/2017/06/AlexBeckett-1.jpg

http://www.alexanderbeckett.com/alexbeckett/files/2017/06/AlexBeckett-1-2.jpg

http://www.alexanderbeckett.com/alexbeckett/files/2017/06/AlexBeckett-2.jpg

http://www.alexanderbeckett.com/alexbeckett/files/2017/06/AlexBeckett-3.jpg

http://www.alexanderbeckett.com/alexbeckett/files/2017/06/AlexBeckett-4.jpg

Jun 09, 2017 at 12:04 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Ryan Brenizer just sold his D5 after getting the A9

I see people talking about missing focus on 40% of their shots. Or like Alex just mentioned "a 20% more keeper rate". How the hell are you guys focusing to miss focus so much? So assuming a 2000 shot wedding, you'd have 400 more keepers in focus? I'm going to start a workshop on how to focus accurately! I don't think I've ever had more than 10% of my images out of focus for any camera I've ever used. And that might be a high estimate.

Jun 09, 2017 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.