Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

August Solar Eclipse - Looking for photographer in Wester...

billsamuels
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · August Solar Eclipse - Looking for photographer in Western U.S. w/Reservation or room!

I've been desperately looking for a place to stay anywhere around the Western U.S. for the solar eclipse on August 21. I thought I knew Oregon and Idaho fairly well, but I guess I didn't now it was well as I thought. The band of the Eclipse is so narrow that getting into that area is potentially a traffic nightmare. I started looking for a place 2 months ago, but even then, everything was sold out.

If you have a reservation for a campsite or a larger hotel room, or better yet, if you live close to the area that's part of that band that will get the maximum solar eclipse, I would do almost anything if I could stay with you that Sunday night and literately take off for home right after the eclipse passes. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so I'd be coming up on Sunday afternoon. I can make it out to either Oregon or Idaho.

If you have a campsite or hotel room reserved, I'm willing to even pay for your reservation for that night, assuming it's not a fortune. If it's over $300/night I'll split it with you.

I have a medical condition and I'm not optimistic that I'll make it to 2024 when the next eclipse comes to the southern states so this is a giant rock in my bucket list.

Thanks for your consideration!
Bill

Jun 08, 2017 at 06:20 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · August Solar Eclipse - Looking for photographer in Western U.S. w/Reservation or room!

If you just want to shoot the eclipse with a long lens without any particular land features then forget about the well publicized locations. Instead head to the BLM website and find BLM land that is in the eclipse path. The beauty of BLM land is that you can camp almost anywhere for free. You may need to rent a high clearance 4x4 to get to an out of the way location, but I would be surprised if you can't find some out of the way area to go where there will be few people and the cost will be close to zero.

Here is one map to get you started. I see patches of BLM land NW of Ontario right along the I-84 corridor, which should be in the path
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

Jun 10, 2017 at 05:34 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · August Solar Eclipse - Looking for photographer in Western U.S. w/Reservation or room!

i might try to make it to the Wind Rivers for this event. Not as many people, as it is a trek in

Jun 11, 2017 at 12:33 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · August Solar Eclipse - Looking for photographer in Western U.S. w/Reservation or room!

Most National Forest lands also allow primitive camping. If you're willing + able to car camp along some remote dirt road, you'll have thousands of destinations to pick from.

Here's another zoomable map that shows NFS and some other public lands.
http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEgmap/2001-2100/SE2017Aug21Tgmap.html

Far western Idaho looks about as good as any place, with low cloud probabilities and endless forest road option. The region east and west of Smith's Ferry is overrun with forest and logging roads. Assuming these are open, you should have zero problem finding a nice place all to yourself.

I too am considering the Wind River Mountains. 40 miles up Union Pass Rd ought to leave the vast herds behind. (And the scenery looks to be superb. I've never visited the Winds and am gonna stay a few days and do some day hikes from the Freemont Lake and Green River trailheads.) Clouds are a bit more prevalent, but I figure I can bail east to lower terrain along the hwy 26 corridor if weather conditions suggests late morning clouds.

Jun 11, 2017 at 04:03 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password