New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · 3rd time in Lofoten

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Guys, I am heading to Lofoten on Monday for the 3rd time and I am hoping to get some tips on where to go. More like "hidden" stuff that aren't on the guides. I will be staying in Reine from Monday to Sunday. If anyone is there during that time, let me know as well.

Will be taking the Batis 135 on a landscape trip for the first time, looking forward to it.

My kit will be

RX1RII
A7RII
Loxia 21
Zony 55
Sony 85
Batis 135

Here's one from the first time I was there, early May 2016, terrible weather the entire trip. I still haven't edited a single frame from the second trip in late August, a full week of incredibly good weather with 25C or more every single day

DSC01434-Pano.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:24 PM
Michel85

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Beautiful panorama. I was in Lofoten in 2015, beautiful place. Plan to go back there soon.
In case your interested in hiking to remote "photography spots" you might want to explore the website of Cody Duncan, a photographer/adventurer who lives on Lofoten. His website shares lots of information, hiking/photography locations and he issued a few very informative and inspiring ebooks specifically on exploring Lofoten. He also has an ebook named "A mountain photography guide to WEST LOFOTEN" with 24 hikes to beautiful photography spots. Most of them involve relative short (day) hikes mainly to off-road locations. I have all his ebooks and they are very inspiring with lots of practical information/tips/maps/places to explore. I can highly recommend getting the ebooks for a few Euro's.

See link below.
http://www.68north.com/

Jun 10, 2017 at 01:30 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Nuno, you should ask member bobu. He has been many times, and could really help. His website is Wild-Places

Jun 10, 2017 at 03:51 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Thank you Michel. Cody's website is without a doubt a very good starting point and I doubt anyone googling about Lofoten will miss it. I've been using it since my first trip. I was now hoping to go even more off the beaten path, if that's even possible.

Philber, yes, I was hoping that "bobu" would jump in and share some tips. I'll try contacting him instead.

Leaving tomorrow early morning for the epic drive between Kiruna and Reine in Lofoten.

Jun 11, 2017 at 01:56 AM
Michel85

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Have a great trip, and don't forget to share some images here with us ;-)

Jun 11, 2017 at 02:38 AM
Andy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3rd time in Lofoten

nampramos wrote:
Thank you Michel. Cody's website is without a doubt a very good starting point and I doubt anyone googling about Lofoten will miss it. I've been using it since my first trip. I was now hoping to go even more off the beaten path, if that's even possible.

Yes, buy Cody's eBook for sure!

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3rd time in Lofoten

I have now spent 2 full days in Lofoten after arriving late on Monday. Weather was simply amazing yesterday. Here are some photos. More can be seen on Flickr. Hope you like them. EXIF on Flickr.

_DSC0490.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1103.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1110.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1127.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1131.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1138.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1155.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1160.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1184.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1186.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1201.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1222.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1229.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1234.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

Jun 14, 2017 at 05:05 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3rd time in Lofoten

I guess I didn't impress a single soul with these ones

Here's a set from yesterday. Maybe was just the amazing weather that pissed you guys off...

_DSC0522.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0534.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0541.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0543.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0547.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0551.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1256.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

Jun 15, 2017 at 03:25 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Hi Ramos, I think you've got some good pics - however the processing, in the second set especially, looks really flat to me. These pics could take a good processing boost, HDR even.

Hope you are still having a wonderful time - seems you are using a drone too ? Love to see more pics from that.

Jun 16, 2017 at 07:31 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Thanks. The second set got a very big push already actually. It was just one of those super flat days, with barely any color...

No drone, all with my feet on the ground. That's the nice thing about Lofoten, you go pretty high and get fantastic views all over the place.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3rd time in Lofoten

These are quite beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Hi Nuno, sorry for the late answer, but I was on a photography trip in Thailand the last two weeks. I don't know if you are still on the Lofoten, but if you are still there and fly back from Kiruna I can suggest some lesser known spots:

1. If you manage to get to the Trollfjord (you need to rent a boat), there is nice hike on the left side to a lovely mountain lake. I did the trip with a Kayak from the other side of the Raftsundet a couple of years ago.

2. You could take the ferry from Svolvaer to Skutvik and drive from there via Narvik back to Kiruna. Skutvik is on the Hamarøy peninsula. The area around the Straumvatnet is extemely beautiful, but you have to hike for a couple of hours to get there.

3. Between Narvik and Kiruna (exactly between Riskgränsen and Abisko) is the Kärkevagge valley with the Trollsjön lake at the end. Another extremely spectacular place. You can find some images on google maps if you search for Trollsjön.

4. Another highlight on the way from Narvik to Kiruna is the Abisko Canyon. You can find a beautiful image of this place from my favorite photographers Verena and Georg Popp-Hackner from Austria.
http://popphackner.com/portfolio/
(go to Magic Moments on their Portfolio site and then it's the third image on the top row)

Have nice trip!

From your above images my favorite is the last one from the Kvalvika beach.

Boris

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Thank you Boris! Funny that you write now. I am now at the airport in Kiruna waiting for my flight to Stockholm, which is 1h delayed. One week in Lofoten is now over. I will for sure go back for a 4th time, maybe already in a couple of months if I find cheap flights. Just can't get enough of it...

Thank you very much for your tips. They will be great for my next trip! Looking forward to your Thailand photos!

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM
mreynolds767
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Amazing looking place and beautiful pics you posted! Headed to Norway later this summer and was trying to make it work but found it cost prohibitive to get as far up as Lofoten so staying in the fjord areas.
Always blown away by images from the Reinebringen; not sure how hard it is to hike but seems worth any effort.

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:06 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Thank you!
How are you trying to get there?
We spent a week there, and had to drive all the way from Kiruna in Sweden. We were a group of 5 and spent about 5000 SEK per person in total (excluding flight to Kiruna from Stockholm). This covered housing, rental car, road tax, gasoline, food, drinking, etc. Not expensive at all.

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:10 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3rd time in Lofoten

mreynolds767 wrote:
Amazing looking place and beautiful pics you posted! Headed to Norway later this summer and was trying to make it work but found it cost prohibitive to get as far up as Lofoten so staying in the fjord areas.
Always blown away by images from the Reinebringen; not sure how hard it is to hike but seems worth any effort.

Reinebringen is a short (about 1 hour) but steep hike. Not too difficult and definitely worth the effort.

Regarding costs: last time I just rented a small station wagon (Skoda Octavia) und slept in the car. Food in restaurants is quite expensive but you could avoid this by taking a camping stove and preparing your own meals. Food in supermarkets is still reasonable priced.

Boris

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:37 PM
mreynolds767
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 3rd time in Lofoten

To be fair it is more of a time issue for me than costs since it is fairly reasonable at least the route I was looking into.
There may be faster routes that are more expensive and out of budget.
Flights into Oslo from Boston in the US are quite cheap and can also get a cheap flight from Oslo to Bodo but that is one long day, maybe 2 and still not really there yet.
Believe I may need an overnight before catching a ferry to actually get there.
We only have 1 week total not in Norway but from home to back home so would be too much travel time to make sense given that window.

Would want to rent a car as well. If I need to do that in Bodo and then take a car ferry I assume that will start to get pricey.

Thinking of primarily doing the Geiranger area for this trip so likely flying from Boston-Oslo-Alesund.
Have plans mostly final and really close to booking everything.
The amount of time we have seems to make more sense in this area.
Hotels and Food will be expensive but will be anywhere in Norway so I don't think much different in one part vs. another. I would do some camping or sleeping in the car to save money here and there but not a solo trip and wife won't so have to stay with hotels.

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:37 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 3rd time in Lofoten

We spent 6 nights in Lofoten and were able to do a lot. It was my 3rd time there though, so I knew already my way around.

You do not need a car to board the ferry though and you can rent one already in Lofoten. There are a lot of hikes around the area where the ferry arrives in Lofoten though, making a car more like a luxury than a necessity.

If you really want to see Lofoten, try to get flights that match with your arrival in Oslo from USA. It might work out just fine!

Jun 21, 2017 at 01:25 AM
kaioyang
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Lovely shots Ramos. How long did it take you to hike up Reinbringen?
And I suppose now the sun doesn't really set, right? (i.e. can't see aurora?)

I was there last Sept and it was just about getting into Autumn. Got this shot right from the road side and it's one of my best for the past couple of years. Granted right after we saw this we had to continue to drive for like 5 minutes before we were able to u-turn back, but the sight was just fantastic.

_DSC1372-2 copy - Explored! by Kai O'Yang, on Flickr

Jun 21, 2017 at 06:41 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 3rd time in Lofoten

Wow that is a great shot! I still haven't been there in Autumn. Been now there in early May, then late August and now mid June for the third time. Might have to go there again in late September already this year

Reinebringen takes between 1h00 to 1h30 (this time coming down took me 50min). You can keep hiking up there further on if you'd like as well. Most only go to the top where the steep trail ends.

Here comes some more from a different day than the ones aboves.

_DSC0571.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0584.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0602.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0618.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0625.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC0632.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1286.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1291.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

_DSC1300.jpg by Nuno Ramos, on Flickr

More can be seen on Flickr. Thanks for looking!

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.