New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Best use of $2000

chesterp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best use of $2000

Hello All,

I went on a little hiatus with photography around a year ago after taking on a marketing position that had me swamped with work. I'm looking to get back into photo, and just wanted to get a general consensus... what would you do with $2000?!

To give you an idea, I primarily gravitate toward portraiture (assisted weddings for a few years, engagements etc.) and I also do some more commercial based work (automotive, models with product for a small boutique brand).

Tumblr photoblog: perschbacher.tumblr.com

I'd like to have a body and two lenses. I'm not bias toward any system, but I did shoot Nikon for about 5 years. My last setup was a D700, D810, 70-200VRI, 24-70G, 85 1.8G. Ultimately, I'd use this setup to land some local freelance gigs and move up in gear as I go!

Some initial setup thoughts I had:
Canon only positive to the Canon setup... my friend is gifting me his old 24-105L!
-5DMKII
-24-105L (gifted from a friend)
-50 1.4
-135L

Nikon I like this system, as I know Nikon, and would be inclined to upgrade to what ever the next D750 would be
-D500 (read great things about this, despite cropped sensor)
-50mm 1.4 (or 24-120)
-85 1.8G

Sony Had a decent experience renting one of these for a vacation, would be good kit to give Sony a shot!
-A6300
-135L + Metabones Adaptor
-28 f2

Thanks in advance!
-C

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:20 PM
CMYK Designs
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best use of $2000

My opinion....for what it's worth...The Nikon D500 and the 24-120mm. I have the D500 for several months and love it. I have a D750 as well, but grab the D500 most of the time. I use it primarily with the 200-500mm and the new Tamron 70-200mm G2. Unbelievable results. I also use a 16-35mm as that is about as wide (24-53 equiv) as I need to go. If I need wider, I use the D750. I just purchased a 24-120 after a successful opinion post here and can't wait for it to come. Good Luck!

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:59 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best use of $2000

I had a quick look at your pictures under the link. Nice work!

Overall, for this kind of things, and looking mainly at the lenses, I think the Canon kit fits very well, with one solid zoom (I have had it for almost ten years now...), and two great primes, with a nice focal difference (and I could not praise the 135L high enough, especially for this kind of work).

Jun 08, 2017 at 03:04 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best use of $2000

How come you don't list needing any strobes, or even flash? I would want at least two SB-900 and probably a couple of monolights with stands & modifiers as well.

Kent in SD

Jun 08, 2017 at 05:53 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best use of $2000

Likely to go over a little over budget, but my advice is - since you'll have a 24-105 - is to go straight to the top and buy a mint 6D and 85mm f1.2L II off the buy and sell boards.

A 6D with an 85mm f1.2L II would be a strong contender for best combo in your portraiture and wedding shoots.

Jun 08, 2017 at 06:29 PM
chesterp

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best use of $2000

CMYK Designs wrote:
My opinion....for what it's worth...The Nikon D500 and the 24-120mm. I have the D500 for several months and love it. I have a D750 as well, but grab the D500 most of the time. I use it primarily with the 200-500mm and the new Tamron 70-200mm G2. Unbelievable results. I also use a 16-35mm as that is about as wide (24-53 equiv) as I need to go. If I need wider, I use the D750. I just purchased a 24-120 after a successful opinion post here and can't wait for it to come. Good Luck!

Great feedback on the D500! I've heard many feel the same way. I'll be taking a look at my local camera store this weekend! Happy shooting
---------------------------------------------

Xavier Rival wrote:
I had a quick look at your pictures under the link. Nice work!

Overall, for this kind of things, and looking mainly at the lenses, I think the Canon kit fits very well, with one solid zoom (I have had it for almost ten years now...), and two great primes, with a nice focal difference (and I could not praise the 135L high enough, especially for this kind of work).

Hey Xavier! Thanks for the feedback on my work, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm really gravitating toward this option. Shoot, I'd even consider a 5D Classic - just to revisit shooting and make things a little more challenging.

Two23 wrote:
How come you don't list needing any strobes, or even flash? I would want at least two SB-900 and probably a couple of monolights with stands & modifiers as well.

Kent in SD

Hey there Kent,

Great question - I did hold on to my speedlight kit. I have two SB800's, triggers and umbrellas!

Paul Mo wrote:
Likely to go over a little over budget, but my advice is - since you'll have a 24-105 - is to go straight to the top and buy a mint 6D and 85mm f1.2L II off the buy and sell boards.

A 6D with an 85mm f1.2L II would be a strong contender for best combo in your portraiture and wedding shoots.

The 6D didn't cross my mind! I have rented the 85L II before back in college, that thing is insane. Not a bad price point either. Thanks Paul

Jun 09, 2017 at 01:39 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best use of $2000

My only comment is that I wouldn't build my new system around a gift from a friend. I'd encourage looking at it all objectively then if you decide to go Canon, the lens your friend is offering is a pleasant bonus.

If Canon's not right for you, don't sweat the lost lens. It's small potatoes considering the overall system.

Jun 09, 2017 at 05:26 AM
chesterp

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best use of $2000

nolaguy wrote:
My only comment is that I wouldn't build my new system around a gift from a friend. I'd encourage looking at it all objectively then if you decide to go Canon, the lens your friend is offering is a pleasant bonus.

If Canon's not right for you, don't sweat the lost lens. It's small potatoes considering the overall system.

See and that's my one gripe with the Canon setup. I know for sure my preference on file is Nikon. I love the Canon files and the lenses are amazing. But editing my first batch from a Nikon after I tried out the D700 swayed me to leave the first time... decisions, decisions!

As of now I'm going to see what the used cabinet looks like at Englewood Camera in Denver, CO as well as browsing the buy/sell forum here. Thanks for your thoughts, nola.

Jun 09, 2017 at 11:25 AM
clonardo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best use of $2000

As someone who shoots a lot of portraiture, going back to an APS-C body just makes me sort of cranky at this point. Apart from the DoF implications, the bigger viewfinder on a full frame body makes all the difference for me.

I was a Nikon user through my own college years (D2H, D2X era), then took a few years away from photography before buying a 5D last year and thinking I'd just tinker with a cheap, full-frame body. Then I got the photography bug again, and upgraded to a 5D Mk II. Then, a 5D Mk III and a bunch of good lenses. I'm sure you'd be happy with Nikon or Canon, as they're both mature, well-sorted systems with their own ergonomic quirks that you'll quickly get used to.

Personally, I was not a fan of the 24-105L's propensity to flare, and I sold mine. I'm assuming that you won't be able to sell your friend's.. however, it may be worth getting rid of your aging SB-800's and picking up some more modern Godox or Yongnuo flashes (they're a nice bargain with an awesome feature set).

Also note that the rumor mill has a 6D replacement coming out at the end of this month, so you may want to hold off a bit if you're erring on the side of Canon.

Here's what I would do in your situation, assuming a $2200 budget (+$200 from selling your SB800's):

Used 5D Mk II + Eg-S focus screen (makes life so much easier when focusing fast lenses)- ~$800
Godox AD200 + R2 transmitter - $345
Friend's 24-105L- free, good enough for most things
Used Sigma 85/1.4 Art: $1000. There's a strong "wow" factor on this one.

The Godox flash system is seriously comprehensive, and people are raving about the AD200.

Here are a few that I shot recently with the 5D Mk II + Sigma 85mm Art
http://i.imgur.com/uUyo6Ih.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FxJVbuA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7aNn7H0.jpg

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:03 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.