Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · NZ Sacred Kingfisher

excellent set Danny.. especially the kingfishers

Jun 09, 2017 at 03:57 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · NZ Sacred Kingfisher

Beautiful shots of these . The other thing is exposure and these look great. Mine always tend to come out dark. I think with shooting at 800 ISO and If I'm lucky at 7.1 Aperture, I can get a shutter speed of around 1/1250 - 1/1600, and even then they tend to come out a bit dark. These are much brighter than I usually get. I suppose I could shoot with a flash, but I really don't like using one, although that mag-mod thing looks pretty interesting.
I'm using a 1DMKIV and 100-400V2 right now, which is plenty capable, but the AF usually just can't keep up, henceforth I have been trying to use the zone focusing method instead.
These are really good shots, and something to shoot for, pardon the pun

Jun 09, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Danny Young
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · NZ Sacred Kingfisher

Bsmooth wrote:
Beautiful shots of these . The other thing is exposure and these look great. Mine always tend to come out dark. I think with shooting at 800 ISO and If I'm lucky at 7.1 Aperture, I can get a shutter speed of around 1/1250 - 1/1600, and even then they tend to come out a bit dark. These are much brighter than I usually get. I suppose I could shoot with a flash, but I really don't like using one, although that mag-mod thing looks pretty interesting.
I'm using a 1DMKIV and 100-400V2 right now, which is plenty capable, but
...Show more

Have you tried with higher ISO's ??. The 100-400 MKII is an excellent lens. Seen some amazing shots from that. My usual with all manual settings for small BIF's are 1/2000 - 1/4000, ISO 400 (small sensors) and F/4.5 with the 500mm.

All the best and get the sun at your back IMO and up that ISO a little..... maybe.

Danny.

Jun 09, 2017 at 01:59 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · NZ Sacred Kingfisher

Well I shot over 300 images each day of the swallows using the max 800 ISO(after that noise is just too much) of my 1DMKIV and 100-400V2, with not one keeper to show for it. I tried using the min 5.6 and I'm finding the lens just doesn't seem to lock focus very well at all, sometime AF doesn't seem to want to work at all, for some reason. then over the course of 2 days I tried zone focusing as well with the same results.
As far as trying manual focusing and keeping the birds in the viewfinder, most of mine were what I like to call blue sky shots. I don't like to post mistakes, but I may just post a few starting another thread, as I don't want to seem to be hijacking this one, hopefully Danny you'll have a peek at them.
Sure make me appreciate these shots even more!

Jun 12, 2017 at 08:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.