New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       end

Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

ugdog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

millsart,

I'm not looking for an argument as to why anyone would care to use any f stop on a lens. I'm just making an observation.

I love my Sony a7r2 even with this focusing issue and on-camera flash delay.

Jun 13, 2017 at 09:20 PM
DTFagus

p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

mikesul wrote:
This is odd. I just checked again with the 24-70 GM and it focuses just fine stopped down f13 and f16 25mm and 70 mm. What do you mean unusable? My camera focused quickly at the f stops indicated and fired without issue. It even worked at iso 100 with a completely dark screen except for a sliver of light from the shades. Of course at the slow iso the shutter speed was crazy slow so that was unusable but the camera focused without issue.

Well, unusable was perhaps a bit harsh ;-)

With af-s and settings effect off it works. It is not snappy, but it works. (aperture opens to focus)

With af-s and settings effect on it also works when light is not so bad, but it takes longer to focus (aperture does not open to focus but stays at working aperture)

With af-c and settings effect off or on (no difference) it focusses at the beginning like with af-s but then the aperture stays at working f-stop and "wobbles" (it goes back and forth, on and on). On the other hand, pictures taken during this wobbling are in perfect focus. So it is "usable" but what I expected from the firmware update was:

af-c, settings effect off, f13: As long as the focus button is pressed it stays wide open (or +1 f-stop over max aperture) and only during shutter release the aperture is closed down to the working aperture.

Unfortunately this does not work. And as far as I understand the "new" behavior is exactly as before the firmware update in this regard.

But as stated before, I am new to the a7rii and can not compare with older firmwares.

And it does not really make a difference for me. I am mostly a natural light photographer and 95% of my pictures are taken between f1.4 and f.5.6.

Also I really do not get why you need anything smaller than f8 in studio. The background is controlled by the shutter speed and the strobes can be set to less power. f8 will always have the model in perfect focus, the dof is larger enough.

The only time I need a smaller aperture is for landscape work (which I do not often). And for landscapes I love manual focus.

Jun 14, 2017 at 06:29 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I just found this. Looks like they did the same as the A9 unless i been not noticing this all this time. This is new

I just found a very very cool feature I did not notice before ob the A9. I have the Batis 135 in hand 15 minutes old. Lol

Okay try this in AF mode move your focus point let's say to the upper right focus take the shot. Hit playback you get the full image right. Now hit the af/on button slash zoom. It zooms right to your focus point instantly. Now that is cool

Even better it's doing it on the A7r2 as well. Try it folks

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:34 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I could be wrong but I thought the Sony's always zoomed to the focus point when you hit the 100% zoom button, but maybe I'm forgetting what it used to be like.

It is a handy feature at any rate.... Essentially any time I'd care to view an image at 100% is when I would ALSO want to especially know how it looks at my point of focus

Sometimes it's like an actual photographer, and not just an engineer, had some say in the camera features

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I can't remember either did i find a old trick or is this a new trick. I love it no scrolling around to see if my focus area is spot on.

Well nice to bring it up again if it was there.

This is a nice feature regardless

BTW The Batis 135 is really nice but I want to test it before i speak too much. Looks really sharp wide open

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:46 PM
normie610

p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography wrote:
I just found this. Looks like they did the same as the A9 unless i been not noticing this all this time. This is new

I just found a very very cool feature I did not notice before ob the A9. I have the Batis 135 in hand 15 minutes old. Lol

Okay try this in AF mode move your focus point let's say to the upper right focus take the shot. Hit playback you get the full image right. Now hit the af/on button slash zoom. It zooms right to your focus point instantly. Now that is cool

Even better it's doing
...Show more

Yes the A7RII's been doing that for a while (if not from the beginning)

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Ah crap I thought I found a cool trick. Lol

I'm going to go hide in the corner now.

normie610 wrote:
Yes the A7RII's been doing that for a while (if not from the beginning)

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:55 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

You never know if maybe you changed something else that made it start to do that on your camera, so likely may be a 'new' feature for you.

Seems like the interactions between various, sometimes unrelated menu features, can affect other features, for better or worse.

Likely you would of noticed if it did that from the start, so you maybe enabled, or disabled something else, reassigned a button etc, which now results in it working that way.

I really think that about 50% of complaints regarding Sony's interface, or the "it feels like using a computer, not a camera" complaint (looking at you Fuji users lol) really comes down to not having certain features or customizations set the right way.

The cameras really can be tailored to provide nearly any commonly used shooting parameters at the touch of a button and after some mucking about, work in a pretty intutitive and logical manner, just not always that way straight from the box

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:33 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Be nice if the descriptions and wording actually made some dang sense too.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:47 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography wrote:
Be nice if the descriptions and wording actually made some dang sense too.

I'm sure the people writing the copy aren't the ones who designed the features, and likely aren't even users of the camera

It would explain a lot regarding manuals (Not just for Sony but many brands)

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Parariss
• •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I've seen very little about compatibility of the new firmware with the OpenMemory hack. Can anyone confirm compatibility? I'm particularly interested in whether the PAL warning message feature still works. Thx

Jun 17, 2017 at 06:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Parariss wrote:
I've seen very little about compatibility of the new firmware with the OpenMemory hack. Can anyone confirm compatibility? I'm particularly interested in whether the PAL warning message feature still works. Thx

I have the hack on my A7RII and the new firmware did not affect it. I can't help you with the PAL setting as I don't use it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:13 PM
MSantiago

p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I have a gray market A7RII on 4.0 with OpenMemories and the NTSC warning screen removal still works fine. There are reports that installing OpenMemories using a browser no longer works after upgrading to 4.0, but some people have mentioned that there are workarounds.

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:07 PM
angelIV

p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Sorry if this question is silly or out of ignorance fairly new to Sony sys and using my canon lenses with mc11 with the current firmware I'm not having any problems with the new firmware I'm concern it will affect this.
Any one having any issues with this

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:58 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Could someone explain to me the trick with OCF (strobes) and the Sonys? If you're F9 or more open does the aperture stay put with Liveview off? Or does it always open up more when it's dark? I'm noticing the slight delay when triggering with a strobe...my understanding was this was possibly fixed with the new FW, no? I'd love for it to be as snappy as with my Nikons. Thanks!

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Lenses are opening up to around F2 or so to focus than closing down to shoot. Depending on speed of a certain lens that maybe the delay your feeling. I have not noticed this on the Sony 85 1.8 with either a updated firmware on the A7rII or my A9. But I have not put a lot of time on it since the update on the A7rII. It's getting a nice rest with the A9 in hand.

But this lens is designed to open up to focus in the first place , it's why I sold my GM 85 and bought the Sony 85 1.8 and it's very fast as well. Actually my FE 35mm 1.4 also opens to focus normally. Batis 135 as well. I switched out lenses before this firmware because I was having issues with low light in studio with not focusing well. So I transitioned everything to get away from that.

Jun 24, 2017 at 01:07 PM
genji
• • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I really like the new method of changing the position and size of the focus points but is it possible to turn off the Select Focus Point On/Off message that appears every time you turn on the camera or press the Center button?

Jun 25, 2017 at 07:31 AM
photoluminaire

p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I'm getting used to the new method but the nagging message pops up far to often.

Jun 25, 2017 at 09:54 AM
genji
• • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

photoluminaire wrote:
I'm getting used to the new method but the nagging message pops up far to often.

Perhaps it's programmed to stop once it's appeared a hundred or a thousand times...

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM
scrappydog
• •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

uhoh7 wrote:
Memory: should apply to all menu functions. That would be so huge.
Make shutter and movie buttons programable. Let shutter start movies.
Toggle APS-C and mech/elec shutter. Auto on for mech shutter above 1000.

Apparently the A9's firmware v1.1 allows the movie button to be mapped to the shutter. Below is the video. I looked on my A7R2, but I did not see the Movie w/Shutter option.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM
       11       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password