New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       end

Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

ugdog wrote:
Why would someone shoot at f16 indoors? Using strobes...

Okay, indulge me being I've done plenty of strobed studio work....

Why can't one simply turn the power down a little bit ? I used to have 2400w/s Speedotron Blackline pack/heads, which I bought for strobing arena's and I could still power those down to usable levels in the studio. I see no reason why one couldn't turn down the power a bit of any strobe setup, which if anything is going to give a much better recycle rate, and there is always the option of a ND filter if worse comes to worse, or if your trying to shoot outside on a sunny day.

Of course if your outside on a sunny day and shooting f16, then the arguement is already out the window because or silly hypothetical situation is talking about wanting to shoot at f16 AND indoors in low light......

Besides that, f16 is well into diffraction territory, so it again makes no sense why one would want to go through such effort to shoot at such an aperture, knowing full well that its severely going to degrade the IQ.

I'm sorry but based on all my experience I can't see how its a realistic complaint because someone can't focus at f16 indoors in low light...

I guess if someone is working on a diffraction limited candle lit portrait series it could be a damper, but I've yet to see that project come to light

Jun 13, 2017 at 04:40 PM
tsln
• •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography wrote:
The A9 is a nice improvement. I was teasing I shot Nikon for like 25 years give or take. Lol

I know, I will grow into the menu systems with time. Right now, everything involves scrolling completely through 2x. Have you been in the Sony ecosystem for a while already?

Jun 13, 2017 at 05:55 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Yes but it's a mess . The A9 is a nice improvement. I really wish they gave it to the A7rII. Be patient it takes time and it is frustrating
You are not alone

tsln wrote:
I know, I will grow into the menu systems with time. Right now, everything involves scrolling completely through 2x. Have you been in the Sony ecosystem for a while already?

Jun 13, 2017 at 06:29 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Between assigning controls to the custom buttons, you can assign up to 12 parameters to the Fn menu, this is where I stick things I occasionally like to access like turning on/off silent shutter, turning on/off IBIS etc.

I only have the A7rII, but once set-up to my liking, I very, very rarely have to go into a menu for anything.

Once you do it enough times its like second nature finding things. Turning on/off EFCS for example takes a while if you don't know where to look, but when you know where it is, its as simple as hitting menu, tabbing over to the 4th page of the second tab and scroll down about half way (arbitary values given) and your there.

I shot Nikon for over a decade as well and don't think their menu's where that much better, until you learn where stuff is of course, knowing what was under the A and B and C etc pages of customization took a while

Certainly could be improved, sure, but familiarity is more than half the battle

Jun 13, 2017 at 07:05 PM
mikesul
• •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

DTFagus wrote:
I just did the same test with my 50 1.4
Unusable from F9 to F16. No matter what setting or if aperture is controlled by lens or by camera. "Settings effect OFF" has also no effect on this issue. Exact same behavior as "Settings effect ON"

This is odd. I just checked again with the 24-70 GM and it focuses just fine stopped down f13 and f16 25mm and 70 mm. What do you mean unusable? My camera focused quickly at the f stops indicated and fired without issue. It even worked at iso 100 with a completely dark screen except for a sliver of light from the shades. Of course at the slow iso the shutter speed was crazy slow so that was unusable but the camera focused without issue.

Jun 13, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Al B
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Newbie question...
What are the main advantages over setting the function button to
the new "live display over changing the custom key
setting button to finder/monitor

Really enjoying the new AF functionality!

Jun 13, 2017 at 07:37 PM
ugdog
• • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

millsart,

I'm not looking for an argument as to why anyone would care to use any f stop on a lens. I'm just making an observation.

I love my Sony a7r2 even with this focusing issue and on-camera flash delay.

Jun 13, 2017 at 09:20 PM
DTFagus

p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

mikesul wrote:
This is odd. I just checked again with the 24-70 GM and it focuses just fine stopped down f13 and f16 25mm and 70 mm. What do you mean unusable? My camera focused quickly at the f stops indicated and fired without issue. It even worked at iso 100 with a completely dark screen except for a sliver of light from the shades. Of course at the slow iso the shutter speed was crazy slow so that was unusable but the camera focused without issue.

Well, unusable was perhaps a bit harsh ;-)

With af-s and settings effect off it works. It is not snappy, but it works. (aperture opens to focus)

With af-s and settings effect on it also works when light is not so bad, but it takes longer to focus (aperture does not open to focus but stays at working aperture)

With af-c and settings effect off or on (no difference) it focusses at the beginning like with af-s but then the aperture stays at working f-stop and "wobbles" (it goes back and forth, on and on). On the other hand, pictures taken during this wobbling are in perfect focus. So it is "usable" but what I expected from the firmware update was:

af-c, settings effect off, f13: As long as the focus button is pressed it stays wide open (or +1 f-stop over max aperture) and only during shutter release the aperture is closed down to the working aperture.

Unfortunately this does not work. And as far as I understand the "new" behavior is exactly as before the firmware update in this regard.

But as stated before, I am new to the a7rii and can not compare with older firmwares.

And it does not really make a difference for me. I am mostly a natural light photographer and 95% of my pictures are taken between f1.4 and f.5.6.

Also I really do not get why you need anything smaller than f8 in studio. The background is controlled by the shutter speed and the strobes can be set to less power. f8 will always have the model in perfect focus, the dof is larger enough.

The only time I need a smaller aperture is for landscape work (which I do not often). And for landscapes I love manual focus.

Jun 14, 2017 at 06:29 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I just found this. Looks like they did the same as the A9 unless i been not noticing this all this time. This is new

I just found a very very cool feature I did not notice before ob the A9. I have the Batis 135 in hand 15 minutes old. Lol

Okay try this in AF mode move your focus point let's say to the upper right focus take the shot. Hit playback you get the full image right. Now hit the af/on button slash zoom. It zooms right to your focus point instantly. Now that is cool

Even better it's doing it on the A7r2 as well. Try it folks

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:34 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I could be wrong but I thought the Sony's always zoomed to the focus point when you hit the 100% zoom button, but maybe I'm forgetting what it used to be like.

It is a handy feature at any rate.... Essentially any time I'd care to view an image at 100% is when I would ALSO want to especially know how it looks at my point of focus

Sometimes it's like an actual photographer, and not just an engineer, had some say in the camera features

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I can't remember either did i find a old trick or is this a new trick. I love it no scrolling around to see if my focus area is spot on.

Well nice to bring it up again if it was there.

This is a nice feature regardless

BTW The Batis 135 is really nice but I want to test it before i speak too much. Looks really sharp wide open

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:46 PM
normie610

p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography wrote:
I just found this. Looks like they did the same as the A9 unless i been not noticing this all this time. This is new

I just found a very very cool feature I did not notice before ob the A9. I have the Batis 135 in hand 15 minutes old. Lol

Okay try this in AF mode move your focus point let's say to the upper right focus take the shot. Hit playback you get the full image right. Now hit the af/on button slash zoom. It zooms right to your focus point instantly. Now that is cool

Even better it's doing
...Show more

Yes the A7RII's been doing that for a while (if not from the beginning)

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Ah crap I thought I found a cool trick. Lol

I'm going to go hide in the corner now.

normie610 wrote:
Yes the A7RII's been doing that for a while (if not from the beginning)

Jun 16, 2017 at 09:55 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

You never know if maybe you changed something else that made it start to do that on your camera, so likely may be a 'new' feature for you.

Seems like the interactions between various, sometimes unrelated menu features, can affect other features, for better or worse.

Likely you would of noticed if it did that from the start, so you maybe enabled, or disabled something else, reassigned a button etc, which now results in it working that way.

I really think that about 50% of complaints regarding Sony's interface, or the "it feels like using a computer, not a camera" complaint (looking at you Fuji users lol) really comes down to not having certain features or customizations set the right way.

The cameras really can be tailored to provide nearly any commonly used shooting parameters at the touch of a button and after some mucking about, work in a pretty intutitive and logical manner, just not always that way straight from the box

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:33 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Be nice if the descriptions and wording actually made some dang sense too.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:47 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography wrote:
Be nice if the descriptions and wording actually made some dang sense too.

I'm sure the people writing the copy aren't the ones who designed the features, and likely aren't even users of the camera

It would explain a lot regarding manuals (Not just for Sony but many brands)

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:01 PM
Parariss
• •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I've seen very little about compatibility of the new firmware with the OpenMemory hack. Can anyone confirm compatibility? I'm particularly interested in whether the PAL warning message feature still works. Thx

Jun 17, 2017 at 06:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Parariss wrote:
I've seen very little about compatibility of the new firmware with the OpenMemory hack. Can anyone confirm compatibility? I'm particularly interested in whether the PAL warning message feature still works. Thx

I have the hack on my A7RII and the new firmware did not affect it. I can't help you with the PAL setting as I don't use it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:13 PM
MSantiago

p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I have a gray market A7RII on 4.0 with OpenMemories and the NTSC warning screen removal still works fine. There are reports that installing OpenMemories using a browser no longer works after upgrading to 4.0, but some people have mentioned that there are workarounds.

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:07 PM
angelIV

p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Sorry if this question is silly or out of ignorance fairly new to Sony sys and using my canon lenses with mc11 with the current firmware I'm not having any problems with the new firmware I'm concern it will affect this.
Any one having any issues with this

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password