New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Have to try this. I use the dial anyway on the A7rII. I'm still half asleep, got up to update and went back to bed. Lol

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:47 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

LBJ2 wrote:
Wow! Big update. Taking some time to go through the process too ( for the a7rII). Some reading material why I wait:

"Changes in the operations for moving the focus area position"

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/products/ilce7m2/update/en.html?id=spt_dl_ilce7rm2

Oh sweet Jesus!

I been asking for that for last 2+ years!!

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

So is this like the 6300

nekrosoft13 wrote:
Oh sweet Jesus!

I been asking for that for last 2+ years!!

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:52 PM
Lotus Eater

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

LBJ2 wrote:
Wow! Big update. Taking some time to go through the process too ( for the a7rII). Some reading material why I wait:

"Changes in the operations for moving the focus area position"

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/products/ilce7m2/update/en.html?id=spt_dl_ilce7rm2

What is the difference between [Standard] and [Focus Settings]? I currently have one of the custom buttons set to [Focus Settings], but have never noticed the [Standard] function before.

I know the new update replaces [Standard] with [Focus Standard], so the option will be gone soon, but on that info page the [Standard] screen looks exactly like the [Focus Settings] screen I already use, so I'm wondering if I've been missing out on some magical function.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:01 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography wrote:
So is this like the 6300

I think so. The center button becomes a toggle, so you can keep using the ring as arrows even after releasing the shutter. Just remember to assign "Focus standard" to it.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:03 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

The fact that Sony addressed so many user requests and across this many models is extremely encouraging. It demonstrates that Sony is actually listening.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:04 PM
Wanny

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

SAR is reporting that the "star eater" problem is fixed as well

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:04 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Thanks sounds good

bjornthun wrote:
I think so. The center button becomes a toggle, so you can keep using the ring as arrows even after releasing the shutter. Just remember to assign "Focus standard" to it.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:08 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Yes they seem to be listening. Certainly on the A9. I only have to go into the menu to format now. This is really nice.

The A7rII they should have added the custom function button for APS mode. So let's keep asking for it

snapsy wrote:
The fact that Sony addressed so many user requests and across this many models is extremely encouraging. It demonstrates that Sony is actually listening.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:10 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Lotus Eater wrote:
What is the difference between [Standard] and [Focus Settings]? I currently have one of the custom buttons set to [Focus Settings], but have never noticed the [Standard] function before.

I know the new update replaces [Standard] with [Focus Standard], so the option will be gone soon, but on that info page the [Standard] screen looks exactly like the [Focus Settings] screen I already use, so I'm wondering if I've been missing out on some magical function.

, I was struggling with that too initially. The main difference is that [Focus Standard] will leave the focus point(s) active so you can move it around even after pressing the shutter. Move AF, shot, move AF, shot: no need to engage the [Focus Settings] each time you need to move the bloody AF point.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lotus Eater

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Stoffer wrote:
, I was struggling with that too initially. The main difference is that [Focus Standard] will leave the focus point(s) active so you can move it around even after pressing the shutter. Move AF, shot, move AF, shot: no need to engage the [Focus Settings] each time you need to move the bloody AF point.

I understand how the new mode works and it sounds like a good thing, but what I'm struggling to understand is what the old [Standard] mode did differently to [Focus Settings]. I don't have access to my A7II at the moment, so I can't experiment.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Sounds like the new way keeps it active so the dial wheel is acting like the joystick on the A9. So no need to keep making it active once you hit the toggle switch on. Than you would need to hit the toggle switch off to make the wheel active for like ISO , drive mode and such. This is what it sounds like to me. Not sure I'm correct though.

The old way you had to keep making it active. This way if I understand it correctly is better.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:32 PM
scalanc2

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Is there any way to return immediately at the center of the frame?

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:54 PM
torwinen

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

I have A6300 and A7Rii. I like how the focus point can be moved all the time in A6300 but dont like that rotation of the control wheel does not change the size of the flexible spot like with A7Rii prior to update. Is there a way to enable the size change with rotation with the latest firmware? Have I missed something? Have not yet upgraded my A7Rii because of this.

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:02 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

GMPhotography wrote:
Flash lag time improvement and a lot more. Someone has been listening. We've been screaming about some of these folks. Good to see Sony giving us these updates. I'll load up soon here.

Keep reporting any findings you see.

But Guy, if you dare to question the holy and most perfect wisdom of Sony, the fanboys will unleash their fury upon you...

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:06 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Bring them on. Lol

I will never shut up when the cause is greater than the pundits.

Hey I'm Italian I got a big mouth.

molson wrote:
But Guy, if you dare to question the holy and most perfect wisdom of Sony, the fanboys will unleash their fury upon you...

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:10 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Lotus Eater wrote:

Here is a reference to Center Button [Standard] enabling ability to use the center button to adjust AF point. " Zone or Flexible Spot focus points while shooting simply by pressing the center of the Control Wheel to activate the focus point then pressing the sides, top, or bottom of the Control Wheel to move it around or you can rotate the Control Wheel to choose the size of the flexible spot: Small, Medium or Large..."

http://briansmith.com/using-center-button-af-on-sony-a7-a7r-a7s-a7ii-a7rii-cameras/

I guess the new setting will be called [Focus Standard] with the changes described in the new support url.

Edited on Jun 08, 2017 at 02:30 PM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:12 PM
Lotus Eater

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

torwinen wrote:
Is there a way to enable the size change with rotation with the latest firmware?

Yes, but not when in [Focus Standard] mode, as far as I understand, which is the mode that allows the focus point to be moved all the time.

To change focus point size, you would need to use the [Focus Settings] button.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't have both at the same time.

Edited on Jun 08, 2017 at 02:24 PM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:15 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

To add to turn off to get to standard dial functions you need to toggle it off. At least I think so this is the case. Need to play with this.

LBJ2 wrote:
Here is a reference to Center Button [Standard] enabling ability to use the center button to adjust AF point. " Zone or Flexible Spot focus points while shooting simply by pressing the center of the Control Wheel to activate the focus point then pressing the sides, top, or bottom of the Control Wheel to move it around or you can rotate the Control Wheel to choose the size of the flexible spot: Small, Medium or Large I prefer Medium."

I guess the new setting will be called [Focus Standard] with the changes described in the new support url.

http://briansmith.com/using-center-button-af-on-sony-a7-a7r-a7s-a7ii-a7rii-cameras/

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:20 PM
torwinen

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony releases new Firmware Updates!

Lotus Eater wrote:
Yes, but not when in [Focus Standard] mode, as far as I understand, which is the mode that allows the focus point to be moved all the time.

To use it like before, where you could change focus point size, just use the [Focus Settings] button.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't have both at the same time.

Ok. Thanks. Have to assign the focus setting then to change size. Rotation could still be linked to size change if Sony wanted. Nothing preventing that.

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password