Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

romeobravo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

I've seen this argument since the Nikon D800 came out. I have seen several articles and videos comparing hi-res 35mm cameras to larger format. Usually proponents for MF would say that the larger sensor was better for tonal gradation and skin tones. However, when I first saw these the 35mm option used a CMOS sensor, and the MF option used a CCD sensor.

I've always wondered what the best option was?
Because I went straight from film to a CMOS sensor in 35mm, I've never used a MF or CCD sensor.

I appreciate any input/experience you have on the matter.

For reference this video is the first one I watched on the subject (although I had read several articles):

Jun 07, 2017 at 10:22 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

Leica aficionados go round and round about this. Leica changed from CCD to CMOS and there were howls of complaint that the new CMOS cameras had lost the "Leica look".

Canons are notorious for red skin tones. I spent my professional career shooting VPS film and got used to the skin tone rendering it produces.

Since I shoot with a Canon 5D, is use various techniques to get better skin tones. One is to use a ColorChecker Passport and create a custom profile for the specific shooting condition. This helps. I also sometimes create a monochrome layer in PS, set the opacity really low and blend it in to desaturate the skin slightly.

I've reserved a Fujifilm XT2 to take on vacation in July. I'll be running tests to compare it to the 5D. I'm very curious to see what, if any difference there is in skin tone.

I still shoot film occasionally. I just sent my Mamiya TLR lenses off for CLA. The 105mm lens is one of my all time favorite portrait lenses. When used to shoot Kodak Portra 400, you can get some gorgeous skin tones.

Jun 08, 2017 at 07:44 AM
romeobravo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

The Fuji cameras produce very pleasing skin-tones. Are they accurate? I think the Pro-Neg Hi is pretty accurate, with the Provia setting being more pleasing.
I have an X-Pro2, and I like it...but I don't love it. Sometimes the images look very flat (not talking color any more) or lacking in dimension.
I did a skin-tone comparison a while back with a Sony a7rII, a Fuji X-Pro2, and an Olympus PEN-F:
http://www.romeobravophoto.com/fuji-sony-85gm-canon-85-1-2-l-zeiss-batis-85-panasonic-leica-42-5/
I should really do a comparison with my wife's Canon 5DSR.

Jun 09, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

Option #5. What one does in PP is the determining factor.

Jun 10, 2017 at 09:48 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

I've never used digital medium format, but so far (for me), anything film (I was happiest with the Portra series, especially the older Nc and VC stock), Nikon d810 had the best skin tones, followed by the d750, followed by the a7rii, then d700, then xt2/xpro2, and then Canon 5d series (never tried the first, and I;ve heard good things about that one).

Post processing is crazy important with digital. I use Mastin Labs Film Emulation presets for lightroom and they give (from all I've tried, which is quite a bit), the best skin tones.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:13 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

I miss the colors of the Fuji S5Pro SuperCCD sensor but the Nikon D800 is far superior in so many other areas that I can give up some skin tones for other things and, by the way, I guess it's a matter of taste, I still haven't seen a camera, at least none of those I have owned, which reproduces real colors...

Jun 16, 2017 at 01:25 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Skin Tones a Matter of Sensor Size or Type?

5D Classic > *

Jun 16, 2017 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.