New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

Debit

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

Looking at monopods. Reviews have been great for the Sirui P-204S. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, can someone recommend a good ballhead for this monopod?

Jun 06, 2017 at 11:23 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

I have the P-424 as a backup, it's what I expected for the price.

As for a ballhead for a monopod... I can't think of a situation in which a ballhead would be desirable on a monopod. They're just too much to control. You'll end up locking it down and then what's the point?

Most people just screw the monopod into the hole on the collar or mount. If you want quickness or flexibility, you could put a QR clamp right on the monopod, or use a monopod head like the RRS MH-01 Pro or Kirk MPA-2.

I shoot sports and use a monopod four to seven times a week. With the cost of gear it's supporting, I went for a Gitzo GT 4562 and the RRS head. I'm one of the few photographers that I shoot alongside (?? is that proper English??), that uses anything on top of the pod. Most just screw it right to the lens collar/tripod mount.

Jun 06, 2017 at 12:49 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

I bought an Oben CTM-2500 5-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod and am really happy with it. It's light and sturdy.

A forum member recommended the Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head, and I did try it. It's excellent... but it wasn't for me because I'm not using the 'pod to hold a lens on its foot (a typical use case).

I am actually using a ball head, which most people will say is a dumb idea. (I replaced the one on my tripod so just used it.) I much prefer it for MY use case (which is attaching a small mirrorless camera). I shoot a lot in portrait orientation, and with a ballhead it's easy to flip the camera sideways, tilt it forwards and backwards, etc. This saves me having to mount an L-Plate, which makes the camera a bit bulkier and harder to hold than a tiny Arca-compatible mount I'm using.

I found I had to actually try it out to see what worked for me (ballhead vs. monopod head).

Jun 06, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

You know, I'm one of those people who scoffed at the idea of using a ballhead with a monopod, until I tried it. I don't use it that way all the time, especially not with my DSLR, but like rdeloe, found that using a ballhead with a smaller mirrorless camera worked very well.

Jun 06, 2017 at 04:12 PM
Debit

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

Came home. Signed in. My posts are gone. What have I done?

Jun 06, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

I used Sunwayfoto and Manfrotto monopod heads for decades and they were okay for telephoto use but, when I mounted a Sunwayfoto ball head, the darn monopod was a lot more useful for general photography, i.e., shooting at an angle out high-rise windows, over fences, over crowds and straight overhead (in churches). And, yep, works better for selfies too. Ain't ever going back to a dad burn monopod head...

Jun 07, 2017 at 12:33 AM
mpoole
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monopod - Sirui P-2004S

I'm probably in a small minority, but I sometimes use a gimbal head on my monopod. I shoot mainly wildlife, so one shot is up in the trees and the next might be down at the ground. I like this better than a ballhead as I just leave the friction settings low, and don't have to worry about the camera flopping

Jun 11, 2017 at 07:19 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.