FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Looking for my Gitzo base plate diameter spec

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for my Gitzo base plate diameter spec

I have a
Gitzo Series 5 Systematic 4 Section Tripod GT5542LS
and have the opportunity to get a custom base plate that will fit an equatorial mount.
The seller needs to know the base plates diameter. I can't find the spec. I could roughly measure it of course, but I'd like the spec if I could find it.

Thanks,
David

Jun 06, 2017 at 11:12 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for my Gitzo base plate diameter spec

Click on the "Specifications" tab, and you'll see the "upper disc diameter" is 3.54".

https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo-tripod-systematic-series-5-long-4-sections

Jun 07, 2017 at 05:23 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for my Gitzo base plate diameter spec

Be careful between the "old" and the "new" Systematic plates. There was a change a few years ago, and it may affect what you are trying to determine. For the above specification or any others you find, double check with a plate or leveling head you have to make sure they match up well.

Also, for an equatorial mount, you might want to consider having a leveling head in the tripod, and mounting the equatorial mount on it, in order to simplify equatorial alignment. Perhaps the custom base plate you are doing now could have a flat bottom and a 3/8 threaded hole in the center, so you could optionally mount it to any leveling head.

Jun 07, 2017 at 06:27 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for my Gitzo base plate diameter spec

There is a Hong Kong seller who makes gitzo replacement plates for ioptron mounts. I think it's a complete switch out, so leveling would have to come from the tripod legs. He had asked to confirm the bottom part of the plate diameter.
My goal, for less precise needs, would be to mount my cem25 on my gitzo. That would keep my kit with one tripod.
For air travel, I'd have to ship my ioptron 2" legs otherwise. And I'd still need a tripod for regular camera stuff. I'll roughly measure the plate if he requires it.

Jun 07, 2017 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.