Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2017 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU ...

PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I'd like to PM you soon when I'm close to pulling the trigger on one? the 2010 mbp has served me well
2 keyboards, 2 cool trays, 6 power cords and 8 Logitech - M570 Wireless Trackball Mice
I never use the touch pad that drives me nuts

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:03 PM
rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
I'd like to PM you soon when I'm close to pulling the trigger on one? the 2010 mbp has served me well
2 keyboards, 2 cool trays, 6 power cords and 8 Logitech - M570 Wireless Trackball Mice
I never use the touch pad that drives me nuts

Anytime!

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:21 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I think for me if I had to buy a laptop now I would still get one of the new 2016/2017 Macbook Pros, either 13 or 15. I don't do heavy video editing or a lot of lengthy & intensive cpu bound tasks where heat can be an issue. Desktops have always been better at those tasks than laptops anyway. I value fast I/O, fast storage, taking full advantage of eGPU's, moving stuff around and the improved I/O to 5k displays so I can get to 60hz. I/O is just way more with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports for 120 Gbps vs 2 ports for 40 Gbps on the older models. I'll still wait a bit more but that's the type of workload that matters most to me. My current macbook can handle my photo editing tasks. Others have different requirements.

My real question now is whether I'll get another mac desktop soon and whether it should be an iMac, iMac Pro or Mac Pro. Won't find out until 2018 at the earliest.

Jun 11, 2017 at 09:14 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

good deal on the laptop, would buy with no hesitation if the seller is legit . just make sure the screen doesn't have any defects like dead pixels or back light bleeding and that the battery is till good, the battery replacement can be expensive. It doesn't have a descrete GPU but you are only paying 1500 so you can't go wrong

Jun 12, 2017 at 01:51 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I have a WIndows computer that I tossed a pci-e ssd into. It boots Windows 7 in 20 seconds. I was quite amazed.

I'm still interested in MBP though. I'm pretty good at working in both Windows 7 and MacOS (Win8 and 10 are viruses), and since my Windows machine is a stay-put PC, I'm in the market for a MBP for the portability.

Jun 12, 2017 at 02:55 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

A couple of links for people who are looking for deals as there are some serious sales going on for 2015 & 2016 stock right now. Also remember to check out Apple's refurb section on their website as they usually have really good deals on more recent model macs. Not always though the stock varies so you have to check back every now and then. They seem to have a decent mix of 2015's and 2016's with different configurations right now and that does get you an Apple warranty.

http://deals.appleinsider.com/

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21

Jun 12, 2017 at 07:22 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I'd sure like to know how fast the @TB Fusion drive is on the new iMacs.

Jun 12, 2017 at 09:10 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

rw11 wrote:

I've moved away from mechanical disk but have heard they do offer a performance improvement over regular disks drives but pale in comparison to SSD's. Of course the cost of a 3-4TB SSD is cost prohibitive to many so they offer the option. I would personally recommend an internal smaller SSD because it gets used far more than any other disk by the OS and expanding by using cheap USB or TB3 connected mechanical disk drives if you need capacity at a lower cost than SSD's provide. Mechanical disk drives also fail far more often, they'll be gone soon.

Jun 12, 2017 at 09:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

rw11 wrote:

rbf_ wrote:
I've moved away from mechanical disk but have heard they do offer a performance improvement over regular disks drives but pale in comparison to SSD's. Of course the cost of a 3-4TB SSD is cost prohibitive to many so they offer the option. I would personally recommend an internal smaller SSD because it gets used far more than any other disk by the OS and expanding by using cheap USB or TB3 connected mechanical disk drives if you need capacity at a lower cost than SSD's provide. Mechanical disk drives also fail far more often, they'll be gone soon.

Soon seems to be getting further away year by year. Basic 2TB SSDs are still $600-700+ for two years and 4TB starts at $1400. The cost goes up from there for higher endurance MLC. 10TB hard drives were $600 last summer and dropping about one-third in a year. 12TB drives are on the way and there is still HAMR. Sure spinners are archaic, but they will continue in the data centers, cloud storage and NAS, if not for consumer computer users that store data elsewhere. Believe me I'd be all over 8TB SSDs south of $2000. For now it's easy enough to throw 6 or 8 8-10TB drives in a NAS for bulk storage.

EBH

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

EB-1 wrote:
Soon seems to be getting further away year by year. Basic 2TB SSDs are still $600-700+ for two years and 4TB starts at $1400. The cost goes up from there for higher endurance MLC. 10TB hard drives were $600 last summer and dropping about one-third in a year. 12TB drives are on the way and there is still HAMR. Sure spinners are archaic, but they will continue in the data centers, cloud storage and NAS, if not for consumer computer users that store data elsewhere. Believe me I'd be all over 8TB SSDs south of $2000. For now it's easy
...Show more

True right now but they won't be able to keep up with the doubling in density that SSD's will see in the next 5+ years. 16-32TB drives are here now and they are going to 128TB, once the datacenters order truckloads (they will it saves them electricity costs and space) we will see the costs plummet. Consumer has been driving it up until now. Most NAS companies have *all flash* solutions in place waiting for the disruption.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/212203-samsung-unveils-massive-16tb-ssd-built-with-new-3d-nand

https://www.techpowerup.com/224915/samsung-unveils-massive-32-tb-ssd-leveraging-64-layer-3d-v-nand

http://www.zdnet.com/article/worlds-largest-ssd-revealed-as-seagate-unveils-60tb-monster/

Edited on Jun 13, 2017 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

BTW, Apple tells me their 2TB Fusion drive on the new iMacs has a 128GB SSD and the rest an HDD.

They seem completely clueless on any quantitative performance data...

An iFixit teardown of the 21" screed new iMac shows that the RAM and CPU (!) can be replaced (maybe not too easily); not clear if that is true of the 27" screen ones. I assume the lack of info on the storage indicates that is not at all replaceable by a consumer.

Jun 13, 2017 at 06:08 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

rw11 wrote:
BTW, Apple tells me their 2TB Fusion drive on the new iMacs has a 128GB SSD and the rest an HDD.

They seem completely clueless on any quantitative performance data...

An iFixit teardown of the 21" screed new iMac shows that the RAM and CPU (!) can be replaced (maybe not too easily); not clear if that is true of the 27" screen ones. I assume the lack of info on the storage indicates that is not at all replaceable by a consumer.

I believe those drives are Seagate's as they've been making what they call a SSHD hybrid SSD HD. You can search around and see if you find some tests that match the specs of the Fusion (2TB, 128GB flash) you'll want to get the drive size and speed too, 3.5 vs 2.5 and 5400 vs 7200. There are some old tests out there but you'll want ones specifically with that drive, 128GB flash is pretty big for one of these drives from what I remember.

Jun 13, 2017 at 08:38 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I have a 2012 cMP and it's been decked out and works well for me

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:58 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.