Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thun...

rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

rw11 wrote:
re: The machine is not upgradable

I thought the iMacs were upgradable for memory & storage (??)

They have a lot more hardware, heat and cooling plumbing packed in the head and the RAM is reported to not be upgradeable, not sure about the storage haven't heard anything about it.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:35 AM
johnvanr
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

chez wrote:
Actually a pro does not want to dic around with a system...just plug it in and use it. It's the amateur hobbies come gear geeks that love to constantly fiddle with hardware.

Not so sure about that...

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:44 AM
johnvanr
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

rw11 wrote:
re: The machine is not upgradable

I thought the iMacs were upgradable for memory & storage (??)

Only memory, unless these new ones change that. Storage requires one to take apart the whole thing.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:46 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

For those using Macbook's for a lot of post the new officially supported eGPU kit is really nice now that they've officially supported eGPU's. They have support in OSX High Sierra for a ton of cards although I know people have been getting stuff to work without official support up to now. This is the way I've been planning to go until something suitable comes out to replace my older Mac Pro.

They only officially support thunderbolt 3 but many have been getting these type of rigs to work and perform even with thunderbolt 2 machines.

https://developer.apple.com/development-kit/external-graphics/

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/apple-metal-2-external-graphics-development-kit/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/06/apple-egpu-dev-kit-requires-external-monitor-nothing-unique-about-graphics-card-or-enclosure

Jun 08, 2017 at 02:17 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

Really liking how the thunderbolt peripheral market is maturing. This thunderbolt3 -> 10GigE adapter ought to be useful to folks who are using a lot NAS storage.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11526/akitio-displays-thunderbolt-3-to-10gbe-adapter

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:15 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

johnvanr wrote:
That super iMac is $5,000. If I were a pro, I'd want a desktop I can easily upgrade and a monitor I can separately replace, not a package deal that costs a fortune. Actually, even as an amateur I want that. Can't believe Apple has nothing in between the underpowered Mini and the closed-system iMac.

chez wrote:
Actually a pro does not want to dic around with a system...just plug it in and use it. It's the amateur hobbies come gear geeks that love to constantly fiddle with hardware.

I suppose that depends if it a one-person operation or a business. An integrated solution presents a total failure if anything goes wrong and no way to upgrade the monitor alone. A business will have multiple workstations, but an individual would need to buy two of those for 100% uptime.

I suppose some people sell the entire units used when upgrading. Obviously the Apple calculates that the extra profit of the display outweighs some lost sales. Does the display have a separate input for use with other computers at least?

EBH

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:55 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

EB-1 wrote:
I suppose that depends if it a one-person operation or a business. An integrated solution presents a total failure if anything goes wrong and no way to upgrade the monitor alone. A business will have multiple workstations, but an individual would need to buy two of those for 100% uptime.

I suppose some people sell the entire units used when upgrading. Obviously the Apple calculates that the extra profit of the display outweighs some lost sales. Does the display have a separate input for use with other computers at least?

EBH

Given that the Apple/LG 5k is thunderbolt 3 you should now be able to use a 5k iMac as a display. I know it wasn't possible before because thunderbolt 2 didn't have enough bandwidth for 5k @ 60hz but now it should be. I don't know if they've implemented it in software yet though but I'd imagine they would.

You could always use your macbook pro plus a display as your backup as well if it's for individual use. I imagine most photogs have a portable as well for on location stuff.

Edited on Jun 10, 2017 at 02:05 AM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2017 at 01:11 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

Here's a pic of the internals from the backside and you can see they've doubled up on the fans to beef up the cooling system. The ram looks like regular dimm's which is why I was so shocked & sad to hear it may not have the back hatch. This could be a picture of a prototype as well. This is a very tempting machine I have to say and I've been staying away from these hyper-converged machines for a while. It uses the same wide gamut P3 colorspace panel as the new Apple/LG 27 5k thunderbolt display I have and the two together would make a really slick multi-head system

iMac Pro internals

Jun 10, 2017 at 01:16 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I've been using a MacBook Pro 2010 for 7 years and I'm only willing to buy a mint 2012 MacBook Pro soon
After that I'm not sure what I'll do with Apple making it harder for photographers

Jun 11, 2017 at 03:02 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

The new PCIe SSD's on the 2013 and later absolutely scream, getting 1-2 GBps read and write speeds on newer versions. Just unreal performance. I went from a 2009 to a 2013 and the performance jump was biggest I've ever had on an upgrade. The newer displays on macbooks are all wide gamut IPC P3 retinas as well. For external storage thunderbolt is 20 Gbps which is much faster than the SATA interface max speed 550 Mbps so I use external thunderbolt and get the exact same performance as if the were installed internally(thundebolt really just extends pci) plus you can daisy chain up to six devices per port. I would really recommend getting a 2013 or later with thunderbolt. The new 2016+ ones have *four* ports for 120 Gbps of I/O to external devices (4/5k displays & storage). I'd skip the 2012 it's basically technically obsolete at this point.

Jun 11, 2017 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ELinder
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
I've been using a MacBook Pro 2010 for 7 years and I'm only willing to buy a mint 2012 MacBook Pro soon
After that I'm not sure what I'll do with Apple making it harder for photographers

How is Apple making it harder for photographers? Well, other than killing Aperture, which I loved before being forced to Lightroom.

I think most of the criticism about these all in one iMacs and forthcoming iMac Pro is unjustified. The people on this forum are not the average buyer. Most people buy a computer and never touch any of its hardware until they buy a new system years later. Same for people who buy a DSLR and kit lens and never change the lens. Again, we here are on the forum are the minority.

Erich

Jun 11, 2017 at 04:12 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I think that most people are still not aware of how good thunderbolt is and how to use it as it is new technnology and the peripheral market is still growing for it. On my current macbook I use one port for disk and a dock and the other for a 5k display. It has more bandwidth the the max interface speed of SATA 3 drive ~550Mbps and you can daisy chain disks on it. Great for expanding your storage capacity.

Here's what I use they work quite well. This shop does some great custom hardware at reasonable prices.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-drives/owc-drive-dock

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2DOCK12P/

The thunderbolt 3 versions are on the way too but they're compatible with adapter anyway so no real worries.

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock/

Jun 11, 2017 at 04:28 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

ELinder wrote:
How is Apple making it harder for photographers? Well, other than killing Aperture, which I loved before being forced to Lightroom.

I think most of the criticism about these all in one iMacs and forthcoming iMac Pro is unjustified. The people on this forum are not the average buyer. Most people buy a computer and never touch any of its hardware until they buy a new system years later. Same for people who buy a DSLR and kit lens and never change the lens. Again, we here are on the forum are the minority.

Erich

You may be right about that. I tend to not tinker too much with my laptops and just refresh them when they're tired but I've traditionally built my own desktops or more recently used Mac Pro's and then kept video and storage system up to date with newer devices to keep the system performing well for many years. Just recently stopped using a 2008 actually when my monitor finally died on me so my criticism comes from a different point of view. I've been a bit skeptical of the iMac's myself although they are really slick but the iMac Pro is the first I've actually wanted. But of course then I compare it to what I expect from a Mac Pro (non 2013) So maybe a bit harsh.

In fact I think I'm coming to the opinion that an iMac, 4/5k external display and a macbook make a pretty compelling 'computing kit', particularly for a photographer/videographer/content creator. All wide gamut P3 displays on newer models, 4 to 8 ports of thunderbolt expandability, portable + desktop, 3 displays. With the base models you could get a kit like this for under $4k and with the iMac Pro + newer macbook pro's you can scale up the performance to workstation class. The more I think about the more this seems to be a really compelling kit in many ways.

Edited on Jun 11, 2017 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2017 at 04:42 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I'll take your advice rbf and get the 2013

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:01 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
For Apple to try to make up for dropping the SD slot, they make a cumbersome attachment device....... no thanks
I'll take your advice rbf and get the 2013

Cool, It'll be well worth it I bought mine when I spilled a drink on my older one and was really shocked at how great thunderbolt + PCIe SSD performance was. Then I swapped to a 2014 a few weeks later when they announced it Apple was pretty cool about that. All the models from "late" 2013 - 2015 have the same form factor and the fast PCIe SSD drives + thunderbolt so if you can get a good deal any will do. But you want at earliest "late 2013" the early ones are not the same.

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:08 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

Are there 3 and 4TB drives that will fit the MacBook now?

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:11 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

Also if anyone is doing a heavily laptop based workflow you should take a look at this project from OWC. It's a case extension that allows you to add two more SSD's (4TB - 8TB currently) and a bunch of legacy ports to the new 2016 macbook pro's. It's not out yet but looks to be very useful to highly mobile laptop power users. Apple is also rumored to be coming out with a really beefed up version of the macbook pro in late 2017 (just a rumor though). I tend to believe it though they used to make 17 inch one for laptop power users back in the day.

https://blog.macsales.com/39345-owc-makes-macbooks-pro-again-with-game-changing-product

Edited on Jun 11, 2017 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:13 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Are there 3 and 4TB drives that will fit the MacBook now?

You can get up to 2TB in current macbook pro but 4TB will be soon and they already announced 4TB on iMac Pro so they should be available late 2017 - early 2018. They're pricey but Apple gets Samsung's newest extreme performance drives and they are up to 3 GBps (that's Gigabytes per second) of read/write throughput (write may be lower). You can read about the Samsung extreme performance PCIe SSD's to see benchmarks and reviews. You need the Apple version though, PCIe interface standards are evolving right now but that's what gets the crazy performance boost SATA 3 was made for spinning disk and can't go faster than ~550 MBps. So there's a huge performance difference between a SATA SSD and a PCIe SSD, it's insane actually. I use SATA SSD for external use as you can get big fat ones fairly cheap $200 for 1TB, $350-400 2TB but internally you want a PCIe drive.

Edited on Jun 11, 2017 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:17 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

I have a 2TB in my 2010 Macbook Pro now

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:21 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New iMac's, iMac 27 5k, iMac Pro 27 5k, Macbooks and thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure

BTW, there is a new 'version' of SSDs just coming out now that is quite a bit faster - dunno if compatible with old to the extent that you can swap it in.

Jun 11, 2017 at 06:39 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password