FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Anyone have to replace the hot shoe on a D750 body? I have a body that was misfiring last Saturday and it feels reminiscent of the old D700 hot shoe problem from a few years ago. So was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this on a D750.

Jun 05, 2017 at 02:39 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Not really encountered the problem with my D750 but it did happen quite a bit on my two D700's.

I bought some overly expensive Nikon WG-AS3 water-guards for my flashes (they help with the support of the flash unit too) and that seems to have sorted the issue.

Maybe try that before you go under the knife?

Jun 05, 2017 at 04:00 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Dude. My D750 was misfiring for the first time last Saturday too. But I think it was my Cheetah light that was twisting and breaking connection. When I twisted it back it would fire. But I never had it happen before this past weekend. Weird. What flash were you using?

Jun 05, 2017 at 05:13 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

S-Man23 wrote:
Dude. My D750 was misfiring for the first time last Saturday too. But I think it was my Cheetah light that was twisting and breaking connection. When I twisted it back it would fire. But I never had it happen before this past weekend. Weird. What flash were you using?

That's crazy, the v860x. Never happened before and I can't replicate it in the studio. It happened twice during the day.

Jun 05, 2017 at 05:18 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Same flash here. It happened to me when I went to portrait mode and my head bumped the flash. Happened more than twice though.

Jun 05, 2017 at 06:26 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

S-Man23 wrote:
Same flash here. It happened to me when I went to portrait mode and my head bumped the flash. Happened more than twice though.

I was shooting landscape both times that it happened to me. What is so frustrating is that I can not duplicate again.

Jun 05, 2017 at 09:13 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

I just received one of my D750's back from Nikon to repair a loose hot shoe. I was having issues with PocketWizards and Yongou radios firing. The shoe itself was visibly loose. My second D750 goes out for the same work next week.

Jun 06, 2017 at 08:04 PM
AveryTingWong
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

I am also having misfire issues, I use Godox v860ii's, I think the amount of torque you need to turn the flash head is messing up the contacts on the D750. I sent mine in for repairs, unfortunately I found out my camera is a grey market camera. Not sure what to do now.

Jun 07, 2017 at 05:03 AM
chrisfphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Known issue with the D750, just google it. The shoe mount allows the flash to slide too far forward, essentially. Some people fix the problem by placing thin piece of cardboard or plastic in the front of the shoe mount. The other option is put the flash on all the way, tighten it down maybe 3/4 of the way, slide it backward slowly and you'll hear the click of the center pin and then tighten the rest of the way.

Jun 07, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Frank Scallo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Second what chrisfphotog said.

It's frustrating but something you have to deal with if you are going to use the D750. I go with the 'shove something in the gap' method. Before that I did the listen for the click method but sometimes that is impossible in loud situations.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:54 PM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

I use the click method and it's easy. I put the flash/trigger all the way in, lock it, and then pull back on it til I hear the click. I don't have any problems with this method and works for my Godox flashes and YN triggers. Every once in awhile while shooting it moves forward again and I just click it back.

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:42 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Did Nikon ever do a retrofit hot shoe for this? Maybe when it's visiting the service bench for shutter refurb, then could change out this as well.

Jul 23, 2017 at 05:19 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

...Did enough people stop buying the camera to encourage them to fix it? No? Ok then.

Jul 23, 2017 at 07:26 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

LeeSimms wrote:
Did Nikon ever do a retrofit hot shoe for this? Maybe when it's visiting the service bench for shutter refurb, then could change out this as well.

No. Does it happen with an original Nikon flash, too? No?
Maybe itīs not Nikon problem at all...

Jul 24, 2017 at 05:59 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

We put a thing in our hot shoes to fix the issue (like Chris mentioned above). In the last week or two, we've had a lot of misfires and random things on some of our cameras though. I cleaned all the shoes with rubbing alcohol and the sliver to 'fix' the hot shoe, but it doesn't seem to have helped too much.

We went about 2 years with no issues. I'm not sure what changed. Part of me wonders if the new Godox firmware did something?

Edited on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:35 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2017 at 08:33 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

Multiple time per weddings I have to reseat my godox flash or triggers on my D750s because eventually they stop triggering.

Never have any problem with the D810/D800 hotshoes, very annoying indeed.

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:25 AM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

It happens with the Nikon flashes too but not as much. With the Godox flashes, the front pin does not go in as much as the pins on the Nikon flashes. When you put the Nikon flash in lock, and you put the Godox flash in lock you can see the visible difference.

I never had that much issue with my Nikon flashes but I have the issue all the time using the Godox flashes. I usually wiggle the flash head around until I get a connection and fire but it is pretty awful.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:15 PM
azmerm

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D750 Hot Shoe Problem

This has also happened to me with Phottix radio slaves as well as Quantum Trios on the D750.

Jul 24, 2017 at 02:19 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.