New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

gh4 or g85 or a6500?

tung256

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · gh4 or g85 or a6500?

which one is good for video? i plan to do color grading later on too once i have time.
seems gh4 is the better option right? but g85 has stabilization which is nice to have when walking around without an active gimbal.

edit: i see the sony a6500 is also around $1000. so maybe a better question would be: which small dslr camera for 4k videos for $1000? :-D

Jun 05, 2017 at 04:30 PM
kp_duffy

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · gh4 or g85 or a6500?

really depends on what you are looking to do/use the camera for. I recently was deciding between a g85, gh5 or gh4 and decided on the g85. My reasoning was I wanted a camera for run and gun video work (personal/family stuff mostly) and while the gh5 is an amazing camera, I don't see myself getting a better bang for the buck than the g85 at less than half the price. Opted against the gh4 simply because of IBIS.

But for you, it really depends on what you are looking to do (and the gear you already have/use). I already have a gx8 so I wasn't considering the Sonys though a lot of people have and love them. Also, I feel that the whole reason I went with m43 is for the small footprint. While the 6000 series cameras are small, when you add in the quality lenses, it loses that small footprint. The penny lenses are great, don't const that much and are very compact to boot. My two cents...

Jun 06, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Jmac88
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · gh4 or g85 or a6500?

Was in the same boat and I went with the G85 no regrets .

Jun 07, 2017 at 03:05 AM
tung256

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · gh4 or g85 or a6500?

how is autofocus on subjects?
currently with my canon t4i and the 24mm stm, the af will fumble around confused. i see the a6500 and the newer canon m6 dont have this problem. is the g85 af good?

Jun 08, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kp_duffy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · gh4 or g85 or a6500?

how is AF is a pretty broad question. I think it is about expectations. When you say your t4 fumbles...what are you shooting and what are your expectations? It it that it misses focus, is slow, can't track...?

I never used the t4 (heavy experience with canon full frame and 1D bodies) but I would imagine it is close to the performance of at t4 for photography. It is all about expectations. For normal shooting - it is just fine. Tracking sports it is not going to compare to a pro level body like a 1D series used by sports photos but it does a good enough job for my kids' sports with reasonable expectations.

Video AF - not something I really use that often - like most video folks, I prefer manual focus but when I use it, it does a descent job, again, with reasonable expectations.

Jun 09, 2017 at 07:06 PM
BruceForeman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · gh4 or g85 or a6500?

I have the GH4, had the G7 and GX7 but sold both off to help finance the GH5 when finally released. I jumped on the G85 with 12-60 "kit" lens (the Lumix not the Leica) and found it to be a super value for my money.

My copy of the 12-60 was sharp and undistorted at both ends, autofocus fast and snappy, and the camera and lens combo a joy to use. I tend to use Natural profile most of the time and the only grading I seem to prefer is basic color correction. The ONLY shortcoming I find in the G85 is no headphone jack but since I use a Tascam DR60D or ZoomH6 for audio and can monitor that through it's headphone jack it's not that much of a problem.

The GH4, of course has both mic and headphone jacks as does the GH5.

IBIS! In both the G85 and GH5 this is a very much appreciated feature. For me it takes the "micro jitters" out of handheld video. It's no substitute for a gymbal but definitely helps with handholding.

If budget is a consideration the G85 is the way to go.

Jun 12, 2017 at 06:11 PM
tung256

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · gh4 or g85 or a6500?

a friend told me recently about Canon dual pixel AF.
so i checked out the Canon M6 on youtube and now more leaning towards it because of its great AF. i have kids so AF really helps when trying to capture videos of them in sports. too bad M6 doesnt do 4k.
while the 6500 can do 4k, shooting vids with it seems painful when the screen darkens and you blindly trust AF is doing its job.
looks like i will have to rent these cams out myself too

Jun 13, 2017 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password