New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

photoin.nyc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

Hey, everyone!

I'm going on a short photo trip with some buddies of mine at the end of June and planning to shoot mostly at these three locations Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur.

To be honest, this is the first time I'm shooting or visiting these parts of the country. To make this trip more interesting and more fun, we're planning to make it a backpacking trip as well, so we're bringing tents and set them up as close as possible to the area we're shooting at.

As far as gear goes, we'll have lenses covering 15mm to 600mm on a full frame, some ND, ND Grad and CP filters, obviously tripods and cable release.

Since I haven't been there yet and all my "scouting" was done using google earth and looking at random pictures I found online on Flickr, 500px, Google maps, etc., is there anything else you could recommend?

If any of you did this before, I would really appreciate if you could share some of the "in the field" experience you had shooting these amazing places.

Any tip or advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot!

Jun 05, 2017 at 10:08 AM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

You may need to alter your plans to Pfeiffer because landslides and bridge failures have made it impossible to get to via car (and it would be one hell of hike through the mountains to get there).

Gear info doesn't say much about what you're interested in shooting. What is drawing you to the coast, Mono Lake, and Tahoe? What catches your eye?

Tim

Jun 05, 2017 at 11:17 AM
photoin.nyc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

Timmeh wrote:
You may need to alter your plans to Pfeiffer because landslides and bridge failures have made it impossible to get to via car (and it would be one hell of hike through the mountains to get there).

Gear info doesn't say much about what you're interested in shooting. What is drawing you to the coast, Mono Lake, and Tahoe? What catches your eye?

Tim

So you're saying I can't reach this https://goo.gl/maps/YnQKrh5L1jz by car?

The priority is landscape. Telephoto is just in case I want to make the sun larger or have more reach if needed.

Jun 05, 2017 at 11:46 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

Might want to include Bodie State Historic Park since you'll be going to Mono Lake. And, perhaps, visit Yosemite in lieu of Big Sur.

Jack

Jun 05, 2017 at 05:22 PM
fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

You may want to do a little more research, but I believe the landslide is further South than Pfeiffer Beach, so you should be ok.

Jun 05, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Mr.Gale
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

It is a LONG ways between Pfeiffer and Mono Lake.

Mr.G

Jun 05, 2017 at 10:02 PM
tsinsf
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

You cannot drive to Pfeiffer Beach. The landslide is indeed farther south, but what caused the impasse into getting to Pfeiffer Beach from the north is the collapse of a bridge just north of the turnoff to the beach.

Jun 05, 2017 at 10:06 PM
Terence K.
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

I was up in that area a couple of weeks ago. Even though Tioga pass is closed there are a few camping spots along the 120 that are open. I camped at Convict Lake that is about 30mins south of Mono.

Jun 05, 2017 at 10:26 PM
photoin.nyc
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

jforkner wrote:
Might want to include Bodie State Historic Park since you'll be going to Mono Lake. And, perhaps, visit Yosemite in lieu of Big Sur.

Jack

Thanks for the tip Jack!

---------------------------------------------

fishjump wrote:
You may want to do a little more research, but I believe the landslide is further South than Pfeiffer Beach, so you should be ok.

I checked on Google maps and yes, the bridge is a further south from the turn to the Pfeiffer Beach. I'll be coming from the north anyway so yes, I should be ok.

Mr.Gale wrote:
It is a LONG ways between Pfeiffer and Mono Lake.

Mr.G

Yes, it is, but I bet it's well worth it!

tsinsf wrote:
You cannot drive to Pfeiffer Beach. The landslide is indeed farther south, but what caused the impasse into getting to Pfeiffer Beach from the north is the collapse of a bridge just north of the turnoff to the beach.

Actually, I want to get to the "keyhole" or whatever the arch is called. We'll be driving from north to south so based on Google maps we should be able to get there... What do you think?

Terence K. wrote:
I was up in that area a couple of weeks ago. Even though Tioga pass is closed there are a few camping spots along the 120 that are open. I camped at Convict Lake that is about 30mins south of Mono.

Thanks!

Jun 07, 2017 at 09:45 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

photoin.nyc wrote:
Actually, I want to get to the "keyhole" or whatever the arch is called. We'll be driving from north to south so based on Google maps we should be able to get there... What do you think?

I think you may want to re-Google...

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=578

Jack

Jun 07, 2017 at 04:06 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

photoin.nyc wrote:
Hey, everyone!

I'm going on a short photo trip with some buddies of mine at the end of June and planning to shoot mostly at these three locations Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur.

To be honest, this is the first time I'm shooting or visiting these parts of the country. To make this trip more interesting and more fun, we're planning to make it a backpacking trip as well, so we're bringing tents and set them up as close as possible to the area we're shooting at.

As far as gear goes, we'll have lenses covering 15mm to
...Show more

For shooting, I generally prefer the south end of Lake Tahoe. A bit more interesting to me. Emerald Bay is the go-to for many photographers, and for good reason.

I'm not sure on the exact details of what is accessible and what isn't in Big Sur right now, but the landslides have definitely made it difficult to get around down there. Regardless, I can promise you no matter what you see there, it will be worth it! If possible, I'd recommend camping there for the full experience.

Jun 07, 2017 at 05:38 PM
photoin.nyc
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

jforkner wrote:
I think you may want to re-Google...

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=578

Jack

I guess I have to change some plans... wondering what else we could shoot instead...

At http://campone.com/los-padres-national-forest/monterey-ranger-district/pfeiffer-beach/ I read this:

"UPDATE 3/12/17: The Beach and the Road to the beach are temporarily CLOSED due to hazardous road conditions brought on by the last couple of storms in the area. Please do not turn onto Sycamore Canyon Road to access the beach, no beach access at this time. Check back for updates."

Jun 07, 2017 at 07:09 PM
photoin.nyc
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

mikethevilla wrote:
For shooting, I generally prefer the south end of Lake Tahoe. A bit more interesting to me. Emerald Bay is the go-to for many photographers, and for good reason.

I'm not sure on the exact details of what is accessible and what isn't in Big Sur right now, but the landslides have definitely made it difficult to get around down there. Regardless, I can promise you no matter what you see there, it will be worth it! If possible, I'd recommend camping there for the full experience.

We were thinking about Nevada Beach, Bonsai Rock, Sand Harbor, etc., so mostly South and SE.

I think we'll have to leave Big Sur for another time...

Jun 07, 2017 at 07:17 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

photoin.nyc wrote:
I guess I have to change some plans... wondering what else we could shoot instead...

As I said before you might want to consider Yosemite. And since you'll be on the east side of the Sierras, you might want to checkout the Alabama Hills, near Lone Pine or even Death Valley.

Jack

Jun 07, 2017 at 09:39 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

I definitely second the Alabama Hills. I'd also check out Galen Rowell's gallery in Bishop (Mountain Light Photography) and the Buttermilk Hills to the west of Bishop.

Jun 09, 2017 at 12:47 PM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

We were thinking about Nevada Beach, Bonsai Rock, Sand Harbor, etc., so mostly South and SE.

Sand Harbor and Bonsai Rock are in the NE area of the Lake. Other popular areas in Tahoe for landscape photography are the overlook at Emerald Bay and Eagle Falls. The view towards Mt Tallac through the meadows in nice. If you are lucky the wildflowers might be showing. My favourite area for this is Carsons Pass and the hikes in that area.

Good luck
Derrick

Jun 09, 2017 at 02:26 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

You didn't say how you plan to get to CA. Flying in? Airport? Driving cross-country? Or? This would make a big difference in recommendations.

Even though I'm a California native, I'll sound like a grinchy troll, and say I think most of California in mid-summer is photographically dull. Tahoe and Mono lake are ok. Summer Yosemite might be special this year because of lots of water going over the falls. Other places in the Sierras might be ok if summer storms take the boring out of the mostly snowless landscapes. Same goes for Death Valley, but temperatures there will most likely be in the brutal/lethal triple digits (F). The bristlecone pines in the White Mountains make nice combos with milky way and star trail photography.

However, if you're already in Lake Tahoe, if I were you, I'd go to Oregon. In my opinion, it's much nicer photographically in mid-summer, not to mention just being a nice place to go. If you drive up the CA coast from San Francisco, to Bandon, Cape Arago, Cannon Beach, etc., it will be beautiful all along the way: rugged rocky coasts interrupted by picturesque bays and long beaches. Pt. Reyes is a good example of the photogenic bays in CA. The coastal redwoods in CA are nice for hiking and photography. At various spots in CA and Oregon you'll find nice beaches with classic rock formations.

Another route north to Oregon is the inland route (5 fwy), which will take you through the big mountains towards the roads to Crater Lake, etc.

Jun 09, 2017 at 09:39 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

Try Bing. "Big Sur slides" Lots of current info.

Jun 10, 2017 at 04:54 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

I would want focal lengths from 24mm to 200mm and a good tripod and a cable release and a collection of ND filters and an alarm clock (to get up before the sun).

I would also look for images taken in these areas by the top landscape photographers of which there are many. Then you can get an idea of what compositions worked for these areas and how often less is more, much more in terms of the final image.

Jun 13, 2017 at 07:59 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tips for shooting Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur

You want to check out Mono Lake's tufa towers especially if you get afternoon thunderstorms and especially at sunset. Bodie State Park will challenge you in photographing old buildings, cars, and gold mining equipment. Also check out the ghost town of Masonic near Bridgeport Lake and the town by the same name. Unlike Bodie which is also a ghost town, there aren't a million people there trying to get the photo of a lifetime. Further south are the White mountains and the magnificent dwarfed Bristlecone trees that are the oldest living things- some are 5,000 years old yet they are only 10-20 feet tall and the wood is magnificent. There re a lot more things to see somdo more homework. Check out the Mammoth Lakes visitors bureau for a list that you can really dig into all the natural stuff and ditch Google Earth! Good luck! Bill

Jun 13, 2017 at 09:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.