Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

bkantar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

Hi all - I'm heading to Alaska in a week for a two week trip. My primary photography focus has been critters, more than landscapes, so most of my photography equipment is geared towards birds and wildlife. That said, I am really looking forward to the landscape opportunities of Alaska.

I am looking for some direction as to whether a 24mm lens is wide enough to bring along, or if I'll be missing some great photo ops in Alaska by not having something shorter? I am willing to rent a super-wide from BrorrowLens.com, if any one recommends it.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Brian

Jun 05, 2017 at 02:19 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

The 24mm should do you just fine. If you do need to go wider just go vertical and do a multi-shot pano.

Jun 06, 2017 at 02:35 AM
runakid
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

24 is a great choice.

Jun 06, 2017 at 01:23 PM
bkantar

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

Awesome, thank you both (Mickey and runakid) for your input!

Jun 06, 2017 at 02:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

24mm is no where near wide enough. And the idea that you can just stitch if you want to go wider, that's often very impractical, especially if there are any moving objects.

Most of us who shoot landscapes shoot a majority of our shots at 14 to 16mm wide.

You need at a minimum a 16-35mm lens.

Jim

Jun 06, 2017 at 07:51 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

bkantar wrote:
Hi all - I'm heading to Alaska in a week for a two week trip. My primary photography focus has been critters, more than landscapes, so most of my photography equipment is geared towards birds and wildlife. That said, I am really looking forward to the landscape opportunities of Alaska.

I am looking for some direction as to whether a 24mm lens is wide enough to bring along, or if I'll be missing some great photo ops in Alaska by not having something shorter? I am willing to rent a super-wide from BrorrowLens.com, if any one recommends it.

Any thoughts are greatly
...Show more

You should be fine with 24mm. Have a good trip!!!

Jun 07, 2017 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

I prefer wider like having a 16-35, but it really depends how you like to shoot. 24mm is decently wide, but you'll probably be pretty close to some very large scenes.

Jun 07, 2017 at 01:32 AM
bflood
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

When someone asks about buying their first long telephoto for an impending trip to Alaska/Yellowstone/etc , I tell them that shooting with such a lens is a special skill, and urge them not to try to learn while on the trip of a lifetime. If time allows, get the lens now and practice and get the hang of it before you go.

Wide angles are the same - there's a distinct craft to using a very wide lens (IMHO anything 20 mm or wider), and it takes some learning to get images that are something better than very wide shots with too much in them.

It appears from your initial post that you haven't been using lenses wider than 24 mm. If that's true, with only a week before you go, I suggest sticking with the 24 you have.

Jun 07, 2017 at 03:50 AM
C_n_red_again

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

Great advice bflood

Jun 17, 2017 at 01:17 AM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

I agree with fflood's view on taking what you know with you on a big trip. I just got an 800mm before leaving for an amazing wildlife trip to the Pantanal and Amazon basin areas of Brazil but left it home...I just haven't had time to get to 'know' the lens yet. Good advice.

Jul 10, 2017 at 09:54 PM
TheRoosta

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alaska trip, how wide of a lens do I really need?

There are disadvantages to going wider than 24mm, especially in controlling perspective. Although I have lenses that go down to 16mm, I generally use the range 24mm to 70mm, take a series of shots; vertically if you want to capture sky and ground/sea in as few shots as possible, or horizontally and photograph sky, eye-level, and foreground separately (takes a little more post processing). I find that offers more cropping options, versatility, and ultimate image quality, compared to a single ultra-wide shot. If you are determined to go wider, consider the Tamron 15-30.

Jul 11, 2017 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password