Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

Hey y'all...
A few years ago, my wife and I bunked with my in-laws for a short time while we were waiting on our house to be ready. We stowed a bunch of stuff there during the stay, living out of suitcases as much as possible with most of our stuff in storage. When we left, we left behind a few pieces in the spare bedroom including a fairly high-end camera backpack.

We have dogs and my in-laws have a dog and I guess he caught a whiff of our dogs on my bag and decided to make sure everybody knew it was his... I brought it home and stowed it upstairs and I'm guessing my dog did the same. You know, reclaiming what was his. Disposing of the dogs is not an option.

The inside of the bag seems to be pee-free. The outside, though, stinks. I've tried spot-cleaning the bag as best as I can but it has a bit of a pee stain (water stain) on the bag now and still has a bit of a smell to it.

Have you guys ever just thrown a whole camera bag in the washing machine? Any reason not to? I was thinking that since I'm not using the bag anyway that if I put it in the wash and it destroys it, then I'm not out much. Should I send it to a dry cleaners and have them clean it for me instead?

Anybody got any thoughts on dealing with a smelly camera bag?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Jun 05, 2017 at 08:14 AM
DGC1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

Dry clean?

Jun 05, 2017 at 08:23 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

DGC1 wrote:
Dry clean?

That's kind of what I was thinking. Or if not dry cleaned, at least just take it to a laundromat and let them sort of figure out the best way to clean it.

Jun 05, 2017 at 08:33 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

I tossed my Gregory Targhee backpack into the washer after I returned from the Falkland Islands last winter. It had been set down in penguin excrement, mud, sand, and been exposed to salt water. I hand cleaned it to get the large stains and sand out first. Then, I ran it through a few washes, including a disinfect cycle, and the pack came out looking and smelling like new.

Jun 05, 2017 at 09:01 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

mitesh wrote:
I tossed my Gregory Targhee backpack into the washer after I returned from the Falkland Islands last winter. It had been set down in penguin excrement, mud, sand, and been exposed to salt water. I hand cleaned it to get the large stains and sand out first. Then, I ran it through a few washes, including a disinfect cycle, and the pack came out looking and smelling like new.

Did you stuff it in a pillow case or anything? Any issue with the straps, etc.? I was thinking I'd tighten down everything completely to minimize slack and tangling and just let it ride. But wanted to see if you stuck it in a sack of any sort.

Jun 05, 2017 at 11:33 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

Why not try soaking it in a tub (with laundry detergent) for a while and using a soft brush on the surface. Laundry room sink works well. Rinse it with water and dry naturally.

Jun 05, 2017 at 12:47 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

matthewm wrote:
Did you stuff it in a pillow case or anything? Any issue with the straps, etc.? I was thinking I'd tighten down everything completely to minimize slack and tangling and just let it ride. But wanted to see if you stuck it in a sack of any sort.

Nope, just tossed it in the machine with all zippers undone and compartments/pockets open. No issues with straps, and I don't recall any bothersome tangling. Minimizing slack didn't really occur to me, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea .

Jun 05, 2017 at 02:14 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

mitesh wrote:
Nope, just tossed it in the machine with all zippers undone and compartments/pockets open. No issues with straps, and I don't recall any bothersome tangling. Minimizing slack didn't really occur to me, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea .

Thanks so much!

Jun 05, 2017 at 02:31 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

I have sent my Domke canvas bags through a cycle or two from time to time. It did take a long while to dry completely though!
Douglas

Jun 06, 2017 at 07:32 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

There are special sprays you can buy in the pet dept. at Walmart for removing pee smells. I'd try that first and then wash it.

Kent in SD

Jun 06, 2017 at 07:49 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

All of my Domke bags have been through the washer and dryer (low heat) multiple times, including when they're brand-new - to break them in. Like an old pair of jeans, they come out softer and better-looking every time. Warning - these are the real old-school Domke bags, not the new ones, which I've heard are nothing at all similar in quality.

Jun 07, 2017 at 05:30 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

Both Think Tank Retrospective 10 and my Lowe bag have at least been once in the washing maschine. Worked well with no harm done.
Just avoid to tight filling and use some softer mode like for wool or so.
I placed the bags in the sun. Be sure that they are really dry before putting your gear back.

Jun 07, 2017 at 05:36 AM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

These were in front loaders, right?

Jun 07, 2017 at 12:36 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

I agree with Two23. Check walmart for pet stain removers.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=pet%20stain%20remover&cat_id=0

Jun 07, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

I have just given mine a good scrub with baking soda and white vinegar. They'll dry on the line for about a week.

Jun 08, 2017 at 03:35 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

I've tried some of the pet sprays and they don't take care of the stain. They have eliminated the smell though. But I can't help but think that since there's a stain, there's still "stuff" in the fabric, which grosses me out. Haha!

Jun 09, 2017 at 01:37 PM
photoluminaire

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

Never tried but I got a very clean crumpler bag from ebay and it still smells of a well known brand of fabric softener, even months later!
I presume it was washed before being sold.

Andrew

Jun 09, 2017 at 01:42 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera Bags in the Washing Machine?

If the company that made it is still around, chances are their website has instructions on washing. Or, just google "washing mybrandname camera bag" to see if anyone has any reports of fading or bleeding or whatever.

I've washed one Domke to get blood out. I have another that is 25 years old and is dirty and stinks like a goat, but it was my first real camera bag so I kind of like it that way.

Jun 12, 2017 at 06:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.