New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

SMDV BRiHT 360 Portable strobe Review/Users Report

kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SMDV BRiHT 360 Portable strobe Review/Users Report

I recently tested the new SMDV BRiHT 360ws portable strobe. I took the liberty of asking two other photographers that are local to me to also try the BRiHT 360. I figured that the impressions of three photographers with different experience levels and approaches would be interesting and helpful.

The review is lengthy as you basically have three separate writings sandwiched into one. The SMDV BRiHT 360 kits and modifiers were used for a period of over four months, so use was extensive. In a nutshell, the strength of the SMDV BRiHT 360 is its small, lightweight form factor makes it an ideal portable lighting kit for on location portrait and wedding photographers. I hope others find the review helpful.

The review is on my blog: https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2017/06/04/the-smdv-briht-360-portable-lighting-system/

Ken

Jun 05, 2017 at 02:44 AM
level1photog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SMDV BRiHT 360 Portable strobe Review/Users Report

I was intrigued about this but they priced it way too high. I love their SMDV softbox but Godox have comparable strobe that are cheaper - AD200.

Jun 11, 2017 at 05:05 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SMDV BRiHT 360 Portable strobe Review/Users Report

I think 360WS is about as low as I'd want to go---and to that end the AD200 may be underpowered for many wedding situations.

But the real kicker here is to consider the Flashwave5 transmitter and the modifiers.

Jun 12, 2017 at 01:16 AM
MayaTlab
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SMDV BRiHT 360 Portable strobe Review/Users Report

A specification sheet won't tell the whole story anyway. What about flash to flash consistency ? WB consistency across the power range ? Heat management ? Reliability ? Etc. Comparing the AD200 to the BRIHT based on a vague resemblance and a spec sheet won't provide me much actually useful information.

Ken, since you also use Profoto's B1s and B2s, did you compare flash to flash consistency in terms of power and WB, and WB consistency across the power range, with the SMDV ?

Also, what is your opinion on the SMDV's stand mount ? When I tried one in a store I left quite impressed with it overall, but found the stand mount to feel quite weak and probably insufficient with heavy umbrellas or modifiers. Did you try alternative stand mounts, such as for example a typical umbrella bracket ?

I agree with you that the transmitter is excellent. Profoto should be ashamed to sell theirs for 360.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:45 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SMDV BRiHT 360 Portable strobe Review/Users Report

Maya, the flash to flash consistency seemed to be good, though I did not do any color critical work such as with fine art reproduction. Day in, day out, and in a variety of situations, the SMDV BRiHT was very reliable and worked with out difficulties. The Flashwave5 allows adjustment by 1/10th stop increments and the ability to make minute adjustments with the BRiHT 360 over other lights is a definite advantage. When I tested this in studio with a flash meter, it was pretty much spot-on with 1/10 increments, well within a human induced margin of error.

It is difficult to do a direct comparison with the B1 and B2, though I did do so informally in studio. As you already know the B1 and B2 have built-in reflectors, with output that can be increased with modifiers such as the Magnum. Because of the difference in configuration (built-in reflector) it is hard to make an exact comparison. The SMDV BRiHT 360 is a barebulb, which should help spread of light in some modifiers. Output seemed to be pretty consistent. The SMDV 7-inch reflector increased light output on the BRiHT 360 by about a full stop.

I think the market that the SMDV BRiHT 360 is most successfully directed to is towards wedding photographers and those working on location, needing a quick portable lighting solution. In this regard, the SMDV mini-Bowens mount is adequate for working wedding professionals. It is really made to keep the system compact and portable. But yes, I agree with you that the mount may be stressed for very large heavy heavy modifiers. I wouldn't be using huge modifiers myself. But here, I think the focus is on portability and not using very large and heavy modifiers. A hobbiest may be able to do so, but I think most professionals seeking to use very large and heavy modifiers will probably opt for more powerful packs or lights with more effective light output (power) when using large modifiers. I don't think there should be a problem using medium to large umbrellas at all with the BRiHT 360. The umbrella holder is built-in to the included BRiHT 360 handle.There is an optional mount adapter to allow the use of Bowens mount modifiers, and this does have a separate light stand mount, so I assume this would allow for larger modifiers, but I think overall, to use extra large or very heavy modifiers on the SMDV BRiHT 360 really defeats the intended purpose of this system: a light, portable, effective lighting system for wedding professionals and/or on location portrait work.

Probably what stood out most to me was how simply easy the SMDV BRiHT 360 is to use. Ease of use and reliability is something that helps to relieve the stress of the photographer during a wedding! The last I heard is that SMDV may be working on a base unit of some sort that better incorporates using speedlites with the BRiGHT 360. I typically use a Canon speedlite with remote triggered lighting, but the ability to more seamlessly incorporate TTL/power output, HSS, etc. would be great.

Best,

Ken

Jun 12, 2017 at 05:58 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password