New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Broncolor Para 88

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Broncolor Para 88

Has anyone used a Para 88 on location as a reflector, without the focusing system?
I'm trying to see what my options are for weddings and engagements and how useful the para 88 would be.
Of course I'd like to use a diffusion panel as well since I'll mount a B1 or B2 directly on the back of the Para...

I just want a high quality modifier with a super fast setup, hence why I want a Para 88...

Thoughts comments & observations?

Jun 04, 2017 at 12:50 AM
voidsherpa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Broncolor Para 88

Seems like overkill to me, granted it does set up super fast. Also without an internal baffle it's going to act like a very efficient yet poorly designed octabox unless you like a strong hotspot.

Then is there even a way to adapt the bron mount to a profoto? (I'm not sure) since you arent using it indirect.

Since this is a Para 88 thread, does anybody know if the reflector skins are user replaceable? and if so the cost.

I've been looking into a SMDV Alpha Speedbox to replace my Rotalux 39" deep octa (love it, just not the fastest to set up if you are moving alot). I only use my Para 88 if I'm spending a min half day in one location and have the time to rig it (heavy and slower to use, but I've only used it indirect)

Jun 04, 2017 at 01:53 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Broncolor Para 88

voidsherpa wrote:
Seems like overkill to me, granted it does set up super fast. Also without an internal baffle it's going to act like a very efficient yet poorly designed octabox unless you like a strong hotspot.

Then is there even a way to adapt the bron mount to a profoto? (I'm not sure) since you arent using it indirect.

Since this is a Para 88 thread, does anybody know if the reflector skins are user replaceable? and if so the cost.

I've been looking into a SMDV Alpha Speedbox to replace my Rotalux 39" deep octa (love it, just not the fastest to set
...Show more

Thanks for the response...

I use a Profoto RFi 3' octa, with an internal baffle attached all the time. I love the octa but then again, just like your 39" deep, the setup is not my favorite...

But you're right, the para 88 might be an overkill...

Jun 04, 2017 at 02:24 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Broncolor Para 88

@Elijah, how about mounting the light on its own stand and shooting into the Para from the front? Avoids the focus-rod shenanigans.

Jun 04, 2017 at 01:48 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Broncolor Para 88

A para with the front diffuser is just an octa box. Buy one of those instead.

Jun 05, 2017 at 12:04 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Broncolor Para 88

I would go with a Photek Softlighter over a Para88 for weddings. Totally different light, but the Para would just be too cumbersome to lug around on the day, unless you had a lighting assistant for the entire day. If you were doing a 'bridal' shoot where you had more time to setup and tweak, Para88 would be great... but setup and teardown, the costs of time and weight would be greater than the benefits.

Jun 05, 2017 at 01:42 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Broncolor Para 88

Mark_L wrote:
A para with the front diffuser is just an octa box. Buy one of those instead.

I have to agree with this. If you are not going to use the focusing arm and use a diffusser, then I would just use a regular Box like Westcott XXL line or the SMDV A90 (if like me, you prefer rounder softboxes).
Regards

Jun 05, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Broncolor Para 88

The Para88 is a GREAT tool, with the engineering and light delivery pros you've heard of, but 3 cons we experienced shooting on location, sometimes in rough surroundings (non-wedding work):

1. It takes some cubic feet when when used in indirect mode, needs a good stand and the case, by necessity, bulky (we had the older roller hard bag or so-called "Big Bag").

2. It's very very well built but if you do damage it, the repairs are very costly. It won't tolerate ham-happened people opening it (eg MUST use two opposing levers at same time and have room for rods to freely open).

3. The 88 is bloody amazing, but unless pulled back a distance, doesn't have the same spread as a 133 or 177 so if subject move any degree they start to feather themselves quickly.

If wanting something close to that look for location work, especially if diffused and in direct mode, and or in areas where could be damaged by people/ surroundings, I'd grab a cheaper pseudo-parabolic clone (varios deep octas or alike) or maybe 2 of a couple of different sizes and DIY an indirect use if desired. If fracked by people /circumstances, replace quickly and cheaply via say B&H and carry on.

For studio work or a more controlled / paced location shoots, the Paras can't be beat, but like any modifier, they aren't the most prudent unit for ALL work vs. some alternatives.

Jun 06, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Broncolor Para 88

Conner999 wrote:
The Para88 is a GREAT tool, with the engineering and light delivery pros you've heard of, but 3 cons we experienced shooting on location, sometimes in rough surroundings (non-wedding work):

1. It takes some cubic feet when when used in indirect mode, needs a good stand and the case, by necessity, bulky (we had the older roller hard bag or so-called "Big Bag").

2. It's very very well built but if you do damage it, the repairs are very costly. It won't tolerate ham-happened people opening it (eg MUST use two opposing levers at same time and have room for rods to
...Show more

Thanks for the input.
Decided to hold off from the Para 88 for now. Thinking about getting an Elinchrom deep 27.5" instead. Size is just right and it's very lightweight. I like how you don't have to take off the speedring when you breakdown the octa; setup could be more or less the same though...

Jun 09, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Broncolor Para 88

While not a para in terms of BQ and parabolic nature, given circumstance, probably safe move - much less costly to replace and will; give good results. Ideal is always great, but not always best choice in all circumstances.

Can always DIY an indirect system, get one from Parabolix (use Profoto mount), or even (if using a Broncolor SR on the DO), use a much costlier (and very pro) focusing unit from a para (just locks onto the male Bron SR built into the para88).

Jun 09, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

voidsherpa

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Broncolor Para 88

Elijah wrote:
Decided to hold off from the Para 88 for now. Thinking about getting an Elinchrom deep 27.5" instead. Size is just right and it's very lightweight.

These are relatively new to the market.

https://www.parabolixlight.com/

Jun 09, 2017 at 10:44 PM
DrakeJ

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Broncolor Para 88

Elijah wrote:
Has anyone used a Para 88 on location as a reflector, without the focusing system?
I'm trying to see what my options are for weddings and engagements and how useful the para 88 would be.
Of course I'd like to use a diffusion panel as well since I'll mount a B1 or B2 directly on the back of the Para...

I just want a high quality modifier with a super fast setup, hence why I want a Para 88...

Thoughts comments & observations?

First off, to my knowledge there is not a profoto adapter which will allow you to mount a profoto light at the back of the Para 88. The only adapter that's available is to use the light on a focusing rod, which is how you normally would use a Para reflector to begin with.

Second, while the Para 88 is quick to setup, you will find that a softlighter as mentioned previously in the thread for instance, is much lighter to lug around and takes up considerably less space. Something to consider if you're on the go.

With all that said, the light from the Para 88 is wonderful if you use the light on a focusing rod and is very different from that of ordinary softboxes.

Jun 12, 2017 at 07:55 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Broncolor Para 88

To confirm Drakej above. The male Broncolor mount at the rear the 88 is too small a diameter to accept a Profoto lamp with their 4" outside diameter, so no adapter would work.

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Dely
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Broncolor Para 88

I was interested in the Broncolor Para 88 also until I saw the price. WOWll great product, but way over my budget. I started researching and came across the Westcott Zeppelin series. Looks good, but I decided to pass after watching a video on Youtube on how to set one up. I wouldn't have the patience to set one up every time on location. The zeppelin series is not cheap either when you buy all the different parts to have a full kit. It is a lot more affordable than the Para 88 though.

I finally came across this 47" Parabolic from Strobepro. I plan to order one very soon. There is a video on how to set it up and seems very easy to assemble using a rapid box style set up. It is less the $200 and it comes with a speed ring assembled. There is a drop down box to choose your speed ring type.

https://strobepro.com/products/47-rapid-deep-parabolic-octa

There is also a video on the page on how to set it up. Check it out because the way you planned to use with the diffusion panel then this might work without an heavy investment. BTW: I have no affiliation with this company so I can't speak for the quality of their products. From the videos it does seem well constructed.

Jun 17, 2017 at 09:50 PM
voidsherpa

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Broncolor Para 88

Dely wrote:
I finally came across this 47" Parabolic from Strobepro. I plan to order one very soon. There is a video on how to set it up and seems very easy to assemble using a rapid box style set up. It is less the $200 and it comes with a speed ring assembled. There is a drop down box to choose your speed ring type.

https://strobepro.com/products/47-rapid-deep-parabolic-octa

Looks just like a Dynalite Grand Box or an Adorama branded Glow Grand Box, only with an added Rotalux style rod setup.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:09 PM
Dely
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Broncolor Para 88

voidsherpa wrote:
Looks just like a Dynalite Grand Box or an Adorama branded Glow Grand Box, only with an added Rotalux style rod setup.

I am not familiar with the Dynalite Grand Box, but yes it did remind of a smaller version of the Glow Grand Box with an easier set up when I watched the video. I do own the Glow Parapop 38'" Softbox and I really like it.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:33 PM
voidsherpa

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Broncolor Para 88

Dely wrote:
I am not familiar with the Dynalite Grand Box

I had one of the glow 71" a few years ago and bent 3 rods on the initial setup. The rods were hollow and really caught me off guard how easy it bent, but it was my fault ultimately. The only real annoyance was I contacted Adorama, Dynalite, and I think Rimelite whom was the manufacturer and received either no responses or dead ends when trying to purchase replacement rods.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:59 PM
Dely
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Broncolor Para 88

voidsherpa wrote:
I had one of the glow 71" a few years ago and bent 3 rods on the initial setup....

I can imagine. That thing is HUGE and it looks like you need an assistant just to set it up. I shoot mostly on location without an Assistant so I stay away from any modfifer that will take me more than 5-10 minutes to set up on my own.

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:25 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Broncolor Para 88

Any interest in using the 64" or 86" Buff Soft Silver PLM with diffuser ?

Jun 19, 2017 at 05:12 PM
Tazdog

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Broncolor Para 88

What about the product by Parabolix? Any have experience with it?

Jun 22, 2017 at 05:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password