New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Mobile Phone for product and still life photography

story_teller
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mobile Phone for product and still life photography

Like I said, a small percentage, a niche market.

Jun 08, 2017 at 11:26 AM
allan36

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mobile Phone for product and still life photography

Thank you for all your feedback. Obviously I created a lot of negative comments. I expected that might happen.

I did not mean to create an argument with my post. It is a serious question. I have been in business for many years and own a full time studio. The older I get, the less interested I am
in equipment.

I have become frustrated creatively. Many photographers go through slumps from time to time, Much of what I shoot is basic corporate head shots, simple portraits for individuals, some product photography on white backgrounds for websites and catalogs, etc. It's necessary to pay the bills. But I am bored and not making the money I want to make.

So I began to experiment with different equipment, subjects, lighting, etc. I decided to just take pictures and just have fun. Then I reviewed hundreds of pictures shot over several months. Some shot with my Nikon dSLR, some 4x5 film, a few Polaroids shot with an old folding camera and some phone images. I even used my girlfriends Canon point and shoot one day.

I did not expect to like the phone images. But I do like them. I like the grain (most of the time), even some of the weird artifacts, the phone app to add filters, effects, etc. They just seem more authentic.

I am not expecting to use a phone for all or even most subjects, but sometimes being more casual allowed a different look to the pictures.

Obviously a lot more photographers are in favor of professional cameras. And I am not encouraging clients to take their own pictures or for photographers to use a phone instead of a Nikon D810 or medium format camera.

I am asking about selling a style and brand. Most of you did not sound encouraging. It's ok. I make my own decisions and mistakes.

The question I asked was if these phone style images would be accepted by high end clients for ads, editorial use in major magazines, etc? I realize that selling this idea might be a difficult road to travel. I am sure most, maybe not all, people in the business assume the pictures must be better if they are shot with a "better" camera. I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks. Allan

Jun 08, 2017 at 08:02 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mobile Phone for product and still life photography

Allan - The real answer is that it depends on what YOU do with the tool or tools you choose to use. You can make photographic art with virtually any camera that will be accepted by all sorts of clients. People shoot purposefully with shitty toy cameras like Holgas and Dianas, or shoot Polaroid or Fujiroid instant film and scan those prints, which look pretty horrible technically but in the right hands are exceptionally beautiful. You pick the tool that gives you the type of images that fit your vision and then adjust your shooting style to accommodate the that tool. Some of my Diana images - y'know - the handheld ten second exposures have very little real detail but are filled with raw emotion. If that's the look and feel I'm going for then a 100 mp Phase back is going to really suck. I say experiment and find out what makes you happy and don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says. Make the deficiencies part of your uniqueness.

Jun 09, 2017 at 06:55 AM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mobile Phone for product and still life photography

When I peruse high-end magazines, image quality is all over the map—and it's not because the AD budget is constrained! A perfect image will sink into the parade of perfect images, and be ignored. In the competition for eyeballs, images with impact are often blurry, canted or brutally color-imbalanced. The iPhone look may be a contender, but only for the look. Best to shoot with real gear, and add the iPhone look in post.

Jun 11, 2017 at 03:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password