Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect ne...

Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Personally I'd like a 6lb 200-400 f4 FL E w/built in TC. Not sure I could afford it, but I'd sure like one!

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:07 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Wouldn’t I would owe you $1.20?

I did own the 50L 1.2 and loved the build and results from that piece. I think it is a lot less controversial than the 58g. But it’s odd that neither of them make a super clean and perfect pro 50. Both of their 50 1.4 lenses are subpar.

85 1.2ii - had that too. Beast lens. AF by wire though, so slow.

Blakehfreeman wrote:
You each owe me $1 when they announce a 1.2! I always hear difficult/expensive but never impossible. I actually think a huge issue with 1.2 was the mechanical link for aperture..and my guess would be that this should be easier now that the aperture link is electronic. But you negative Nancy's can keep raining on my parade!

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:35 AM
swifty168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I've already put in my guesses earlier on but gonna add a boring one.
AF-P 24-120/f4. I guess the E designation is not necessary since it's AF-P. And throw in an FL element in there too, why not.

Reason being I think Nikon needs a solid all round performer (including in live view and silent AF video) for their new generation of DSLRs and future mirrorless.
I think they missed an opportunity to release one with the D850. The promise of good live view/silent AF video performance could have encouraged a few D850 buyers to spring for the kit instead of body only. As it is with the current 24-120/f4, I think few D850 target buyers will be motivated to buy the kit.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:39 AM
joefoo
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

It's a bit weird that one of the three big dragons is a G while the other two are Es. They have to fix that, surely.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:03 PM
ATX353

p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

This is what I am hoping for as well, an updated 14-24.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

ATX353 wrote:
This is what I am hoping for as well, an updated 14-24.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with that. Will it be an updated 14-24 f2.8? Will they expand it to be 14-30mm f2.8 or 12-24mm f2.8? Will they opt to go with two lenses, like a 16-35 f2.8 and 11-24 f4? It doesn't really have any heritage behind it, and Nikon could change things up dramatically if they so choose.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:50 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

$1 says the release a 16-35mm 2.8E and 14-24mm 2.8E the same day. Drop the mic and walk off the stage. They had a clear lead on the wide end that has evaporated over the past ten years.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Blakehfreeman wrote:
$1 says the release a 16-35mm 2.8E and 14-24mm 2.8E the same day. Drop the mic and walk off the stage. They had a clear lead on the wide end that has evaporated over the past ten years.

There is still no direct competition from anyone for the 14-24/2.8, so they might drag their feet updating that one. Any zoom lens that is wider is a full stop slower, and any zoom lens that is also F2.8 is not as wide. It's also still pretty great optically but improvements are always welcome (adding VR would be great too). A 16-35/2.8E FL VR would be really nice though, I would be very interested in that and I hope you're right.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:04 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

joefoo wrote:
It's a bit weird that one of the three big dragons is a G while the other two are Es. They have to fix that, surely.

The 300/2.8 and 200-400/4 are very likely going to be updated to FL & E status next. At least the 300/2.8 was on Nikon's list a few years back where they gave a roadmap of updates.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:09 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

28e
105e
need something in the middle
50e is next, here's hoping!

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:16 PM
ATX353

p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Blakehfreeman wrote:

Here's the question, when will they come out?!

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

ATX353 wrote:
Here's the question, when will they come out?!

I'm sure @canadamark knows more about the trends
I don't know anything. But it would be cool for them to release another couple of lenses in time for us all to by each other holiday gifts, right?

is it possible that we could track patents on prime E FL glass or no?

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:23 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Yes and no... my understanding is they sometimes patent a lens years prior and often those patents don't turn into anything. So could we track, yes, would it tell us much, not likely!

Dj R wrote:
I'm sure @canadamark@ knows more about the trends
I don't know anything. But it would be cool for them to release another couple of lenses in time for us all to by each other holiday gifts, right?

is it possible that we could track patents on prime E FL glass or no?

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:26 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

GAS attack ^

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password