Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2017 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? ...

Max Power
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

JohnK007 wrote:
I think you have your facts wrong ... I own the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS, which is an F-mount

On the other hand, maybe you're right for AF, but IMO where there's a will there's a way.

I for one would love to see a new AF Nikkor, nano-coated E version of a 50mm f/1.2 ... or even 1.0 ... now that would be something to get excited about.

He may not have his facts wrong, because he is talking about contacts, and the new E lens would have to autofocus. Mounting it and manual focusing is one thing, mounting it and making it behave like an E lens may be another. I really dont know, but he may be right.

Not primes, so maybe a little off topic, but I would like to see how Nikon responds to some of the bright zooms that are now on the market, like the Tamron 15-30, or the Sigma 18-35 for dx.

Jun 04, 2017 at 05:41 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Nikon seems to be in a "lets throw something at the wall, at a ridiculous price and see if it sticks" mode, so with that being said I would expect:

20mm f1.4 ~$2200
50mm f1.2 and 50mm f1.8E ~$2400 and ~$250

What I'd like to see (in addition to the 50mm f1.2) would be 135 f1.8 or f2 (with VR) and a 180 f2.8 update.

Jun 04, 2017 at 06:16 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

tdlavigne wrote:
Nikon seems to be in a "lets throw something at the wall, at a ridiculous price and see if it sticks" mode.

I don't think that is their motive.

I think Nikon is realizing that "budget" markets are no longer viable, due to the ubiquity of cell phones. People don't really want/need budget-level gear, the more sophisticated cell phone cameras get.

IMO, what Nikon is doing is raising the bar, quality-wise, and concentrating more on producing world class optics that will produce something no "cell phone" (or budget camera/lens combo) will be able to produce.

I don't think $1,999 is a ridiculous price, given the quality, when its direct competitor is the Zeiss Otus 28mm f/1.4 ZE at $4,990. If anything, the MF Zeiss looks ridiculously over-priced by comparison--esp. if the optics are comparable--with the new Nikkor bringing world class AF as an added bonus. If the test charts prove the two lenses to be comparable, optically, my bet is the price on the Zeiss will come down.

Jun 04, 2017 at 06:40 PM
swifty168
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I guessed right with the 28/1.4E so I'm putting in my other guesses here
But this time it's based on some cash back rebates currently happening in Oz.
I'm with Lance in thinking a 50/1.4E might be in the works. It'll be cheaper than the 58 but offer more all round clinical performance. I think with the release of a 50/1.4E, the 58 might be harder to justify, hence the rebates.

Secondly, I think a 180/2.8E.

And thirdly, not an E prime, but a replacement for the 14-24/2.8.

Jun 04, 2017 at 09:28 PM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

sorry y'all, but we will not be seeing any f/1.2 glass from nikon.
it's not feasible.

Jun 05, 2017 at 09:37 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Dj R wrote:
sorry y'all, but we will not be seeing any f/1.2 glass from nikon.
it's not feasible.

Some comment on why this is the case: https://photographylife.com/nikon-f-vs-canon-ef/

C

Jun 05, 2017 at 09:57 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Chris Court wrote:
Some comment on why this is the case: https://photographylife.com/nikon-f-vs-canon-ef/

C

Thank you for sharing, Chris. Most interesting.

Even with the limitations explained, there is still hope

It says,
"If you have been wondering why Nikon does not release fast f/1.2 primes with autofocus, while Canon has the excellent 50mm f/1.2L and 85mm f/1.2L II lenses in its stable, the answer is primarily in the limitation of the physical diameter of the Nikon F mount. It would be very cost prohibitive for Nikon to try to design f/1.2 lenses with autofocus capabilities, because of space limitations on the rear side of lenses. Such designs would have to be limited to under 60mm focal length range and even then, the CPU contacts would probably have to be put right on the rear element."

as well as ...

"Shorter focal length f/1.2 lenses would be possible to engineer, but they might require cutting into the glass as described above, which would complicate both the design and the manufacturing process of such a lens, making it very expensive and potentially impractical to sell. Nikon would have to charge thousands of dollars for a 50mm f/1.2 AF-S lens, which would be extremely tough to market. Such a lens would have to be made to order in limited quantities, similar to some of the exotic super telephoto lenses."

I think Nasim forgets the price of the Otus lenses ...

Nikon has, in the past, offered rare, exquisite lenses ... on a limited basis ... and for obscene amounts of money.
Lenses that are still legendary today (e.g., Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 AIS, Noct-Nikkor 58 f/1.2 AIS, Nikkor 300mm f/2 ED-IF AIS, etc.)

I think Nikon should do this again. I firmly believe a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 E would be a yawner ... while a $3,500 (no-expense spared) AF 50mm f/1.0 or f/1.2 would fly off the shelves.

I personally would rather spend an extra grand, or more, on something pivotal, and feel excited to spend $3K-$3,500 for an f/1.0 or f/1.2 ... with everything Nikon has learned put into it ... than spend $1900 on another "also ran" lens, with "cut corners" here and there for the masses.

But that's just me ...

Jun 05, 2017 at 08:31 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I get that.

But the 50L and 58G and 50G 1.4 are different from what a 50E would be. So it would be unique. And people would buy it.

JohnK007 wrote:
Thank you for sharing, Chris. Most interesting.

Even with the limitations explained, there is still hope

It says,
"If you have been wondering why Nikon does not release fast f/1.2 primes with autofocus, while Canon has the excellent 50mm f/1.2L and 85mm f/1.2L II lenses in its stable, the answer is primarily in the limitation of the physical diameter of the Nikon F mount. It would be very cost prohibitive for Nikon to try to design f/1.2 lenses with autofocus capabilities, because of space limitations on the rear side of lenses. Such designs would have to be limited to under 60mm focal

as well as ...

"Shorter focal length f/1.2 lenses would be possible to engineer, but they might require cutting into the glass as described above, which would complicate both the design and the manufacturing process of such a lens, making it very expensive and potentially impractical to sell. Nikon would have to charge thousands of dollars for a 50mm f/1.2 AF-S lens, which would be extremely tough to market. Such a lens would have to be made to order in limited quantities, similar to some of the exotic super telephoto lenses."

I think Nasim forgets the price of the Otus lenses ...

Nikon has, in the past, offered rare, exquisite lenses ... on a limited basis ... and for obscene amounts of money.
Lenses that are still legendary today (e.g., Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 AIS, Noct-Nikkor 58 f/1.2 AIS, Nikkor 300mm f/2 ED-IF AIS, etc.)

I think Nikon should do this again. I firmly believe a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 E would be a yawner ... while a $3,500 (no-expense spared) AF 50mm f/1.0 or f/1.2 would fly off the shelves.

I personally would rather spend an extra grand, or more, on something pivotal, and feel excited to spend $3K-$3,500 for an f/1.0 or f/1.2 ... with everything Nikon has learned put into it ... than spend $1900 on another "also ran" lens, with "cut corners" here and there for the masses.

But that's just me ...
...Show more

Jun 05, 2017 at 09:11 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Dj R wrote:
I get that.

But the 50L and 58G and 50G 1.4 are different from what a 50E would be. So it would be unique. And people would buy it.

True.

However, if Nikon came out with two new 50mm primes ... a 50E f/1.4 E @ $2,000 ... and a 50 f/1.0 E "Limited Edition", no expenses spared, version @$3,500 ... which one would you buy?

Jun 05, 2017 at 09:25 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I believe that the following lenses are most likely to come next:
- 200mm f2.0 E FL and 300mm f2.8 E FL
- 16-35mm f2.8 E VR
- 20mm f1.4 E
- 50mm f1.4 E
- 180mm f2.8 E
- 135mm f2 E
- 200-500mm f4 E FL
- 400mm f5.6 PF
- 12mm f2 E

Cheers,
Bernard

Jun 06, 2017 at 04:33 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

12 f2 E !
Want.

Jun 06, 2017 at 07:17 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

16-35mm f/2.8E would be awesome. Has been missing for several years, so probably not going to happen.

Jun 06, 2017 at 09:42 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I want my 50mm 1.4E!
If it was fat but short, like the 50L, yum.

28e
50e
70-200e or 105e, depending on your needs
killer trio!

Jul 17, 2017 at 04:19 PM
CrankbaitJon

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Nikon will need a standard E lens, which is kinda strange as the 58 is not considered old. Hoping for a 50 1.2E

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:11 AM
CrankbaitJon

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Come to think of it, the 14-24 is the last of the trinity that is still a G lens.

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:14 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

CrankbaitJon wrote:
Come to think of it, the 14-24 is the last of the trinity that is still a G lens.

Yeah, I'd definitely expect an update to that pretty soon. While the current 14-24 is still good, it's facing real competition from the Tamron 15-30 and possibly even the Canon 11-24 in some use cases. It'll be interesting to see if it's a straightforward upgrade or a change in focal length/aperture though. A 14-30 f2.8 would be very appealing.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
Yeah, I'd definitely expect an update to that pretty soon. While the current 14-24 is still good, it's facing real competition from the Tamron 15-30 and possibly even the Canon 11-24 in some use cases. It'll be interesting to see if it's a straightforward upgrade or a change in focal length/aperture though. A 14-30 f2.8 would be very appealing.

also sigma's 12-24 f4 ART is really nice too

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

85mm f/1.2E.

Jul 20, 2017 at 07:55 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

nuclearjock wrote:
85mm f/1.2E.

Not physically possible, the throat of F mount can't handle the necessary rear element size.

Jul 20, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon E Lens - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

mawz wrote:
Not physically possible, the throat of F mount can't handle the necessary rear element size.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1174585-REG/mitakon_zhongyi_mtk85mf12fx_speedmaster_85mm_f_1_2_lens.html

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:38 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.