Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect ne...

Dj R
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

The 24/35/50/85 1.4 primes were not designed for 36+ megapixel bodies. Which is why many have shifted to Sigma Art glass.

After receiving the Nikon 105mm f1.4 E and seeing how sharp it is, even on my D810, it was clear to me that Nikon would be focused on upgrading the performance on their professional primes.
Obviously, now with the D850, boom, we need updates even more.

The 70-200E, same thing, as the 105 1.4E it is AMAZING.
And then Nikon gave us the 28mm f1.4 E. Another incredible tool.

What we are seeing from the E glass is the sharpness of the Sigma Art, but with the character that we know and love from pro Nikkor glass. They will shine on the D850 and it's 46MP.

---

What do I think?

My prediction is something that you may not have thought about....
The Nikon 50mm f1.4 G is long in the tooth and ready for a gold ring and a letter E stamp.
Therefore, I think it would be a slam dunk for Nikon to bust out with a 50mm f1.4 E.

We were not expecting them to give us a new 105 1.4 E. We were not expecting them to give us a 28 1.4 E. So I bet they will follow that program.
Furthermore, neither Nikon or Canon has a SURE THING 50mm pro prime.
Think about that, Canon and Nikon make four 50/58mm 1.2 and 1.4 lenses, ALL four are polarizing lenses, meaning they have a cult like following and the rest of the folks think they stink.
Come out with a rockin' 50mm 1.4 E that is sharp and has dreamy bokeh, it could be another item that would attract a lot of Canon shooters.

I could say 85 1.4E, but it's too close to the 105. Meaning, they would sell MORE glass if they had more spacing in between the E primes, eg 28 50 105

And look,
28 1.4 E
50 1.4 E
105 1.4 E or 70-200 E
Not a bad idea right?

Nice, updated, three lens portrait kit. Perfect for portrait and wedding shooters.
You just want to roll with one lens? 50mm on FF is where it's at!

For me, I expect the 50mm to be the next prime added. What do I want? I would say the 85 1.4.

What do you THINK the next E/FL lens announcement will be?
What do you WANT the next E/FL lens announcement will be?

Edited on Sep 25, 2017 at 04:41 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2017 at 04:55 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I'm really happy and satisfied with my trio event kit 15-30, 58 1.4 and 105 1.4. My next lens is the 19 PC-E when prices hopefully cool down.

A light 180 F/2 FL would be nice

The 58 1.4 is fairly new and it's been a hit, so I don't expect a 50 1.4 update. Maybe a 135 1.8E.

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:12 PM
Andre Y
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I want a 16/1.4E DX so I can use the full-width AF array on the D500 with a wide angle lens.

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:59 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

hijazist wrote:
My next lens is the 19 PC-E when prices hopefully cool down...

I have not used my 19 PC-E a lot but I already very much like it. It is very sharp and the tilt/shift mechanisms (including the large shift knob) seem much better built than the older Nikon PC-E lenses. I am not sure though why Nikon dropped the shift lock on this one. Hopefully it won't start creeping in future. I just wish I get a chance to use it more often.

As for the price, I doubt it would cool down by much any time soon, as I guess Nikon does not make many of these lenses. I have noticed it often goes on back-order at B&H and other retailers. I got lucky and found one used locally at about ~$1K discount. And I have seen a couple of used ones come up for sale around ~$2.5K. But even at such prices, it still is almost double the amount one could pay for a used 24 PC-E!

As for other Nikon 1.4E primes, I am not sure what else to expect. I agree that 50/1.4E is not very likely, given the state of 58/1.4. A 180/2FL or 200/2FL would certainly be nice, and I think the latter is very likely but unfortunately the price would probably be prohibitive for most photogs.

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:06 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Dj R wrote:
My prediction is something that you may not have thought about....
The Nikon 50mm f1.4 G is a horrible lens and it's long in the tooth!
Therefore, I think it would be a slam dunk for Nikon to bust out with a 50mm f1.4 E.

At this point I think nikon could release anything new with a big pricetag and fanboys would buy it. Just look at how many people here own the 58mm.

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:08 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I'd like to see a rectilinear 14mm 1.4E. I bet it has super unique rendering with tons of 3D pop. It will be the ultimate 'environmental portrait' lens.

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:11 PM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Mark_L wrote:
At this point I think nikon could release anything new with a big pricetag and fanboys would buy it. Just look at how many people here own the 58mm.

I know what you mean. And I'm probably one of those so called fanboys (in your eyes).
But if we were all sitting at a bar.... that's a little harsh.

Primarily b/c of one reason:
The only E prime we have in our hands thus far, is the 105, and it is truly spectacular.
It is graded with A+ sharpness, and has incredible bokeh with excellent transitions.
So I don't really buy into the fanboy thing. Because they are not just releasing new fruit punch for us to sip on.
They are upping the ante.

And I expect the same for the forthcoming 28mm E.

Still on the fence though, with regard to the new 28.
I really want to shoot 20/35/85, and sell my other primes- for now.
Then I'll eventually get a new 50mm E or 85mm E when it comes out. I don't really enjoy the 105 FL. Prefer being closer. 85 is great.
I do insist that Nikon will make a 50 E, b/c the 58 is not an E. And it's not super sharp. And Nikon is trying to fight back against Sigma.
This is just my take on it.

Jun 01, 2017 at 07:06 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Dj R wrote:
The only E prime we have in our hands thus far, is the 105, and it is truly spectacular.
It is graded with A+ sharpness, and has incredible bokeh with excellent transitions.
So I don't really buy into the fanboy thing. Because they are not just releasing new fruit punch for us to sip on.
They are upping the ante.

And I expect the same for the forthcoming 28mm E.

With Nikon's restructuring and their direction toward the high end products, my "guess" is that over the next one to three years (as it takes a while to change the gears in motion), we'll see new lenses releases that are focused (pardon the pun) on the professional markets (i.e.. sports, wedding, portrait, etc... ). These will be all "E" lenses and pretty high quality (look at the super tiles, the 105, the 70-200, the 19 TS). They will be relatively expensive, but not much more than the lenses they are replacing, when adjusted for inflation. The new designs - you can guess from the latest releases where they'll be priced.

Cutting edge does come at a price. But there is always the previous catalogue of lenses, and with third party designs, there will still be a plethora of choices for different tiers of photographers.

Jun 01, 2017 at 07:26 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Mark_L wrote:

How is buying a nikon lens for a nikon body considered being a fanboy now?

Jun 01, 2017 at 07:44 PM
CATProductions

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

My guess is a 135 1.8E at some point. Sure, a 50 1.4E would be great (that said, I wonder whether we'll ever see another 50 1.2; a 50 1.2E! Now that would be something!).

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

screwdriver
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

i wanna see a 35mm re do thats like the new E lenses with faster focusing

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:08 PM
2of9
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-did the 50mm for some odd reason.

But it would neat to have a 40mm 1.4E and maybe in a 'pancake' size as well

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:23 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

2of9 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they re-did the 50mm for some odd reason.

But it would neat to have a 40mm 1.4E and maybe in a 'pancake' size as well

I've been wanting an AF pancake of any focal length for ages. I don't think it will be an E lens though.

An update to the 50 is definitely needed. Doesn't have to be above or below the 58, that is a creature of its own.

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

"The 24/35/50/85 1.4 primes were not designed for 36mp bodies. Which is why many have shifted to Sigma Art glass."

Says who?

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:38 PM
vitalishe
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

I would love to see an update to Nikon 50mm 1.4.
At the same time if Nikon comes out with a sharp version and pleasing bokeh would it not compete with 58 1.4?
For this reason I am inclined to think they will choose a different focal length.
From a standpoint of minimizing competition with lenses that were recently released one may expect the following sequence:
28, 20, 85, 35, 24, 50.
I placed 50 last because I have high how's for it and believe it will dramatically effect sale numbers for expensive and not very sharp 58.

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:54 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Honestly I don't need or want any more 1.4 lenses, I want Nikon to drop some f2 or f2.8 AF lens updates to perform with, or out-perform for now, the newer sensors. Small sexy ones, sharp enough to cut god herself, even at f2.8 -- clinical.

I think the b-word has about run its course. We can only talk about shallow depth of field for so many years eh? And even if it hasn't run tis course, they got it covered from 24 through 105 to the end of the range now, since the 200 f2 and primes north of that are melting backgrounds like a pack of Skittles left on the dashboard in Florida.

Jun 01, 2017 at 09:42 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

ariot wrote:
Honestly I don't need or want any more 1.4 lenses, I want Nikon to drop some f2 or f2.8 AF lens updates to perform with, or out-perform for now, the newer sensors. Small sexy ones, sharp enough to cut god herself, even at f2.8 -- clinical.

I think the b-word has about run its course. We can only talk about shallow depth of field for so many years eh? And even if it hasn't run tis course, they got it covered from 24 through 105 to the end of the range now, since the 200 f2 and primes north of that
...Show more

I thought the 1.8g's were the natural upgrade to the 2.8 line up. Affordable, small and sharp.

Jun 01, 2017 at 09:55 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Hardcore wrote:
How is buying a nikon lens for a nikon body considered being a fanboy now?

Given that particular lens's performance and price tag, likely

Jun 01, 2017 at 10:01 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Dj R wrote:
The 24/35/50/85 1.4 primes were not designed for 36mp bodies. Which is why many have shifted to Sigma Art glass.

After receiving the Nikon 105mm f1.4 E and seeing how sharp it is, even on my D810, it was clear to me that Nikon would be focused on upgrading the performance on their professional primes.

Now we have the soon to be released 28mm f1.4 E. Arrives here in the USA late June.
They won't be cheap, but I welcome these new lenses. The sharpness of the Sigma Art, but with the Nikkor 1.4 character that we know and love.

My prediction
...Show more

You are right the 50/1.4 E is lens that is missing and is in need of being updated. I have the 50/1.4 G for its size/weight and is very good on the D750, but I also have the 50 Art which is superb.

Jun 01, 2017 at 10:07 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon E FL Lens Series - what do you want & expect next? (1.4 glass, etc)

Mark_L wrote:
Given that particular lens's performance and price tag, likely

Camera bodies will come and go like fashion, some will be classics that last several obsolescence cycles, but lenses that are excellent last for decades and longer. This is true strength and backbone of camera manufacturers.

Jun 01, 2017 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password