New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Mechanical versus electronic shutter

Steve Wan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

Other than flash why would one ever want to use the mechanical shutter? Wouldn't it always be better to not have a Camera slamming around It's bits and pieces?

May 31, 2017 at 06:19 PM
AZ Photo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

Where your subject is moving you risk distortion due to the rolling shutter effect with an electronic shutter because it doesn't capture the entire image instantaneously.

Edited on May 31, 2017 at 07:05 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2017 at 06:29 PM
shinyobject

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

Electronic shutter also doesn't work well under fluorescent lights.

May 31, 2017 at 06:46 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

electronic shutter isn't a global shutter, instead it scans each line of pixels, one by one, fairly quick, but the overall duration of exposure is like 1/20th of a second or something like that. If things are moving where the appear when the top lines are scanned and then the bottom lines won't line up and you'll have a skewed image. This holds true regardless of how fast of shutter time you tell the camera.

Sony's A9 is a lot faster of scan, but even that shows a little skewing. Check out the A9 Memorial Tournament posting to see samples of distortion on the golf swing.

I use mechanical shutter most of the time, except long exposure landscape shots, and occasionally for shooting wide open in bright light. For any action its always mechancial

May 31, 2017 at 10:59 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

electronic shutter isn't a global shutter, instead it scans each line of pixels, one by one, fairly quick, but the overall duration of exposure is like 1/20th of a second or something like that. If things are moving where the appear when the top lines are scanned and then the bottom lines won't line up and you'll have a skewed image. This holds true regardless of how fast of shutter time you tell the camera.

Are you sure about that? I shoot performing arts all the time, and very often use the electronic shutter to absolutely silence the shutter. I've never seen this phenomenon before. I typically shoot vocalists under stage lighting conditions in theaters at 1/250 or better, and absolutely freeze mouth and hand motions with this shutter speed as if they were outdoors. I intuitively understand the scanning part, but 1/20 of a second would presumably show motion.

Jun 01, 2017 at 12:30 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

The XT-1 was about 1/15th of a second readout time, XT2 is probably slightly faster, but still not fast at all.

Try it out on some cars driving past you, things have to be moving at a reasonable speed, but you'll certainly see some skewing of the image.

Isn't always super apparent, and its not the same as motion blur, because the image can be sharp overall, but just distorted looking.

Each pixel is turning on/off quickly, as in a fast shutter time, but the time from the first pixel to the last pixel, which is understandable because there are like 24 million of them lol, is about 1/20th of a second later.

So where you subject is in the top row of pixel, vs where they are in the bottom row of pixels, can end up being 1/20th worth of movement.

Here are some examples with the XT1 from a different thread

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4109554

Jun 01, 2017 at 01:09 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

That's very interesting. I certainly see the skewing in the images from DPReview, but in my exposures, I just don't see it. Here's a shot of Jason Mraz performing at a local high school during a celebration concert following the selection of the choral director there as the Grammy Foundation's 2017 Music Educator award. This was shot at 1/800 second and is typical of what I get at any shutter speed using the electronic shutter on my X-T2 or XPro2. I only use the electronic shutter when I want to be sure that there is no sound at all from the shutter.

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

You wouldn't see it at all. These are static subjects. Small movements at this size won't see it. Just google "Jello Effect" and you can see it in video. It is the exact same phenomena. If you were shooting sports or circus performers, it would be more obvious. Golf is probably the easiest to see. While the subject is static, the club is moving extremely fast.

Jun 01, 2017 at 03:22 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

Fair enough. Suffice it to say that if I were shooting sports or circus performers, I wouldn't need a silent shutter anyway.

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:27 AM
AZ Photo

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

millsart wrote:
electronic shutter isn't a global shutter, instead it scans each line of pixels, one by one, fairly quick, but the overall duration of exposure is like 1/20th of a second or something like that.

Presumably its considerably shorter than that if it can manage 14 fps.

I can't find anything from Fuji on the subject but early X-T2 reviews talked about the readout being 100% faster than the X-T1.

Jun 01, 2017 at 11:27 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

Steve Wylie wrote:
Fair enough. Suffice it to say that if I were shooting sports or circus performers, I wouldn't need a silent shutter anyway.

Except golf is a very quiet sport where tripping the shutter during a backswing will get you booted from the tournament, at least at the pro level. Silent shutter is very useful in some sporting applications

Jun 01, 2017 at 11:57 AM
dropmyload

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

So a simple question, why does my X-T20 have the option for both electronic shutter and mechanical shutter?

When does it move from electronic to mechanical?

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:19 PM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mechanical versus electronic shutter

i assume the xt20 is the same as the xt1..if you have MS+ES turned on. the camera will switch to the electronic shutter once you go above the max 1/4000 of the mechanical shutter

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:58 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password