1       2      
       4              17       18       end

Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Mykal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Dj R wrote:
yea I may need to reconsider and go 28 58, with the 70-200e on reserve.
what pouch are you using?
I may get the HF large pouch, but it seems difficult to do a behind the back swap with a lens - in a pouch!

I'm using this but it's a bit tight for the 105. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069S2M9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jul 10, 2017 at 09:20 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

You guys need a waist pack. A.k.a. The "fanny". Only way to dual wield primes with 3-4 total lenses. You can use it with less precision and therefore more speed then a smaller single lense pouch. Also useful to toss a flash, or videolight in.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Depth of Feel wrote:
You guys need a waist pack. A.k.a. The "fanny". Only way to dual wield primes with 3-4 total lenses. You can use it with less precision and therefore more speed then a smaller single lense pouch. Also useful to toss a flash, or videolight in.

I have photographed a few weddings this year using 3 D750 bodies simultaneously, 35/58/105....
28/58/105 will not change anything either...

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Elijah wrote:
I have photographed a few weddings this year using 3 D750 bodies simultaneously, 35/58/105....
28/58/105 will not change anything either...

you should post pics of your helmet attachment for the third body.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:44 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

The sushi shot above really shows the LoCA.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:45 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

This thread has gone crickets meanwhile its been shipping for a few days now.

I have one on my desk that I plan to use this weekend. But the silence has me wondering if some regret is sinking in.

Jul 13, 2017 at 05:30 AM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

I'm on vacation and will post some pictures when I get back. I'm really loving this lens.

Jul 13, 2017 at 07:02 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Please some photos !!!!

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Depth of Feel wrote:

I have one on my desk that I plan to use this weekend. But the silence has me wondering if some regret is sinking in.

I'm on the verge of cancelling. Not that I don't think this is a fantastic lens, because it looks like it is. I'm more concerned with overall rendering and it just isn't really doing it for me. A lot of money to pay for a Sigma Art style lens. I feel nikon was bold with the 58mm and then took a step back with the 105mm & the 28mm to please the pixel peepers and to match high megapixel bodies.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Depth of Feel wrote:

Wow, how lame. Just fishing for something negative to say, without any justification

I guess if people don't constantly talk about a lens (99% don't even have yet), that's a 'bad sign'?

I think the shots look terrific. This lens is beyond what a comparable Sigma Art lens can produce. If you bothered to read the Camera Labs review, this lens excels in sharpness, bokeh, and rendering. You can't get its level of performance ... in any 24, 28, or 35 lens at f/1.4 ... unless it's an Otus. That's the selling point.

The article clearly stated the Sigma not only wasn't as sharp, but "cannot match" the bokeh of the 28 f1/4E ... where the Nikkor 28 had comparable bokeh to the Otus 28, was sharper in the center, but not quite as sharp at the edges. If you're photographing people, food, or center-weighted subjects ... the extreme center sharpness with gradual softening toward the edges is actually an enhancement to the already-superb, Otus-like bokeh.

Also, being a top-tier AF lens, this means a person hand-holding will likely nail a far-higher percentage of low-light shots with this 28 f/1.4, in perfect focus, than someone using an Otus ... who is "hoping" his 1.4 shots come out in perfect focus, while relying on his eye-through-the-viewfinder alone.

If you're having personal buyer's remorse, because you spent more than your piggy bank contained, then keep it to yourself. But don't project the fact you spent more than you can afford onto the lens itself ... which is above the Sigma level, almost Otus-like, at half the weight, half the price, and with better AF than Sigma's backwards-engineering will ever produce.

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SiMuMe
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

JohnK007 wrote:
Wow, how lame. Just fishing for something negative to say, without any justification

If you're having personal buyer's remorse, because you spent more than your piggy bank contained, then keep it to yourself. But don't project the fact you spent more than you can afford onto the lens itself ... which is above the Sigma level, almost Otus-like, at half the weight, half the price, and with better AF than Sigma's backwards-engineering will ever produce.

Oh wow! I think you've totally misunderstood him. If you have followed past new lens releases and the flurry of images from first adopters within the first week of release, then you'll understand his post.

Jul 13, 2017 at 02:00 PM
eke2k6
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

JohnK007 wrote:

I guess if people don't constantly talk about a lens (99% don't even have yet), that's a 'bad sign'?

I think the shots look terrific. This lens is beyond what a comparable Sigma Art lens can produce. If you bothered to read the Camera Labs review, this lens excels in sharpness, bokeh, and rendering. You can't get its level of performance ... in any 24, 28, or 35 lens at f/1.4 ... unless it's an Otus. That's the selling point.

The article clearly stated the Sigma not only
...Show more

You got all that...from the guy remarking the fact that it's relatively quiet in the thread. You're quite the detective. I hope your wife never smiles at anyone, so you don't end up accusing her of having a passionate affair with the smile recipient.

Edited on Jul 13, 2017 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2017 at 06:14 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

John K.....your comments are untoward, offensive and most certainly not in the spirit of goodfellowship that FM prides itself on.

Jul 13, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

SiMuMe wrote:
Oh wow! I think you've totally misunderstood him. If you have followed past new lens releases and the flurry of images from first adopters within the first week of release, then you'll understand his post.

Totally this! I think John might be a little insecure about he 28e purchase. When the 105e came out it was non stop image posts (still is). The silence in the thread seemed very odd given other lens releases.

For my use case I just need a 28 1.4 to perform like the 35g. This does. If its as delicious as the 105e thats just a bonus. The 28e will allow me to ditch 4 lenses.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

eke2k6 wrote:
You got all that...from the guy remarking the fact that it's relatively quiet in the thread. You're quite the detective. I hope your wife never smiles at anyone, so you don't end up accusing her of having a passionate affair with the smile recipient.

You should re-read your post back to yourself ... you "got all that" (infidelity accusations) ... from a comment regarding verbalized buyer's remorse

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:24 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Depth of Feel wrote:
Totally this! I think John might be a little insecure about he 28e purchase. When the 105e came out it was non stop image posts (still is). The silence in the thread seemed very odd given other lens releases.

I possibly misunderstood ... but it seemed more like verbalized crying than anything else.

The 28E still is not available at most outlets (B&H, etc.). I'm quite sure that's what's behind the hold up.

Not insecure about a thing. Try a re-read, and the person I addressed seemed to be the insecure one, regarding the "lack of posting activity"

What I am is awfully-tired of all the boo-hooing directed at Nikon, despite all the good things they keep coming out with.

Depth of Feel wrote:
For my use case I just need a 28 1.4 to perform like the 35g. This does. If its as delicious as the 105e thats just a bonus. The 28e will allow me to ditch 4 lenses.

Yep. The 28E 1.4, the 50E f/1.4 (when it arrives), and the 105E f/1.4 are going to be my walk-around prime trio for sure.

Will return to this thread with images and leave the gossip topic to others.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:30 PM
RyanFlynn
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

I think this thread will always be quieter compared to something like the 105 or 58. A superfast, expensive 28mm is much more of a niche lens than either of those (especially as those both have huge appeal to bokeh-holics, who typically love to post photos of said bokeh (not that that's a bad thing, I'm a sucker for large apertures.))

Pulling the trigger on the 28/1.4E today, should be here next week, in time for a bunch of work. I'm excited to put it through its paces and see if it's worth the premium over the nice and light 28/1.8G (just a couple quick sample photos in the store already show that the bokeh is much nicer.)

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:11 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Just did a few test shots between 28g 28e and 35a.

35a has really nice rendering, no away around that.
28e has nice vignette (which I like)
28g has the same color as 28e

I cant tell the difference between the 28's from just looking at the back of camera....

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:39 AM
eke2k6
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

Depth of Feel wrote:
Just did a few test shots between 28g 28e and 35a.

35a has really nice rendering, no away around that.
28e has nice vignette (which I like)
28g has the same color as 28e

I cant tell the difference between the 28's from just looking at the back of camera....

No, no, no! You're supposed to say the 35a is an overrated lens whose only claim to fame is its pseudosharpness

But I'm looking forward to your comparison. I've been side-eyeing the 28mm Nikkor lenses for a while now. If the 28E is really good, I'll genuinely have to consider

waiting for the 28mm 1.4 Art

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:53 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon 28mm f/1.4E ED Image Thread

I still love my 24 1.4G lens and that thread is even much slower!

Jul 14, 2017 at 05:01 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password