New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

kilowhiskey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/marketing/updates/camera-lenses/index.page

May 31, 2017 at 08:32 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

I was surprised this morning coming onto this forum that there was no mention of the new lenses other than the 28/1.4. I guess the DX lens is just another blah lens.

The fisheye zoom which Canon has had for years now is also one of those odd choices. I know Canon shooters bought it, played with its novelty for a few weeks and then set it down to collect dust. I've seen some cool images from it but I don't see much posted anymore.

Not sure why Nikon decided to make that same lens....I can't see it being very popular as it isn't over in Canon land.

Nikon needs to release a 400/4PF and/or 3002.8FL instead.

May 31, 2017 at 08:36 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

They make these and no 135mm?

May 31, 2017 at 10:05 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

Some really nice additions to the lineup. The prices are all actually quite reasonable as well IMO.

Nikon already had a good 10-20mm DX, but it looks like they also wanted a more compact version with the stepper motor/P designation. It's also ridiculously cheap, giving D3XXX/D5XXX owners an accessible UWA which is fantastic. Probably will be a good seller.

The Fish eye zoom is a cool, but probably less popular addition. Nice to have the option for those that want it but I can't imagine its a popular lens, but perhaps more in some professional niches that I am not considering. I'm sure they didn't just make one on a whim.

28/1.4G is nice to help complete the lineup of 1.8 & 1.4 modern primes Nikon is so well known for. Probably no surprises there.

We know the 300/2.8 FL is also around the corner, as well as probably the 200/2 FL. They've actually done a pretty awesome job of filling lens gaps lately - just waiting on that 135/1.8 FL VR

May 31, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

Yeah, I'd think the dx wide will be a big seller, kind of slow for tourism interiors in dark old cathedrals but a killer price if it performs well.

May 31, 2017 at 10:50 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

CanadaMark wrote:
Some really nice additions to the lineup. The prices are all actually quite reasonable as well IMO.

Nikon already had a good 10-20mm DX, but it looks like they also wanted a more compact version with the stepper motor/P designation. It's also ridiculously cheap, giving D3XXX/D5XXX owners an accessible UWA which is fantastic. Probably will be a good seller.

The Fish eye zoom is a cool, but probably less popular addition. Nice to have the option for those that want it but I can't imagine its a popular lens, but perhaps more in some professional niches that I am not considering. I'm
...Show more

I would prefer a 400/4 PF (FL?) over a 300FL but I'll take either on a D820 at 8FPS in crop mode

May 31, 2017 at 02:20 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

they still have time to announce one more 'amazing' lens to along with their celebratory 100th anniversary camera. im guessing its going to be a lightweight/updated 200 f2 or a AF 50mm f1.2

May 31, 2017 at 02:28 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

The bulgy front element on the fisheye zoom scares me. There's no way a klutz like me is going to keep that in one piece for more than a few months.

May 31, 2017 at 03:24 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

arbitrage wrote:
I would prefer a 400/4 PF (FL?) over a 300FL but I'll take either on a D820 at 8FPS in crop mode

More lens choice is always better but Nikon has quite a bit of coverage in the 400mm range right now at many different price points, so I would guess it's not a priority for them. If they did more PF lenses though that would probably be on the list. The 400/4 DO II is almost exactly the same size as a 300/2.8, and the FL update to the 300/2.8 should have them right around the same weight as well. With a 1.4 TC you are at 420mm/F4 with possibly even better IQ, and the flexibility of moving back to a naked 300/2.8. That's probably the route I'd go given that everything should be almost exactly the same (size, weight, price).

To your other point I think 8 FPS in crop mode (hopefully 1.2 and not 1.5) on the D810 successor would be perfect. For that I could settle for 6 FPS full frame.

We can expect the 300 and 200 FL updates though, Nikon announced their intentions a few years ago now and they are the only ones left. Not sure if they will do it to the 200-400/4 or not after the 200-500 exploded in popularity - if they do it'll probably be dead last.

May 31, 2017 at 03:26 PM
D5100 Dude
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

I'm kind of digging that 10-20 DX.

Jun 02, 2017 at 02:35 AM
Woodyg3
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trio of new Nikon lenses

One reason Nikon and Canon still have a hold on a big part of the market is the wide variety of lenses they offer. I'm glad to see new ones, even if they aren't what I am looking for. (Although the 10-20 would be a fun lens to toss in the bag.) Someone out there surely will be looking for these lenses.

Jun 02, 2017 at 05:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.