New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

Mike Ganz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

I'm currently using Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom (forgot the version) and considering upgrading to the CC option. Question is, would I be able to use my existing PS actions that I've created over the years, as well as my existing LR plug-ins? If so, is there a simple way to do this? I'd hate to lose them. Thanks.

May 31, 2017 at 06:23 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

Plugins ... some may be ok as is, others may require updating to the developer's current versions.

PS Actions/Droplets/Scripts will most likely have to be re-written to conform with the current version of PSCC as many of the calls and/or functions have been changed or updated since CS5 as well. It is annoying to do so, but you only have to do it once.

Keep in mind, that this would have occurred as well for any major updates of a perpetual license version and is not a result purely of the CC subscription model.

May 31, 2017 at 07:23 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

Is there much in PS CC that you really need?
I manage perfectly well with PS CS3, CS5 is miles ahead of that.

As for Lightroom you can still buy a standalone version (or a cheap upgrade to what you have) and own it yourself rather than dripping to Adobe every month

May 31, 2017 at 08:03 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

You can continue using older versions of PS if you use the (free) dng converter from Adobe. That converter seems to get regularly updated for new bodies.

It adds one (automated) step to postprocessing but in my opinion it is worth it to avoid continuing expenses and adjusting to new software versions.

May 31, 2017 at 11:07 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

MalbikEndar wrote:
You can continue using older versions of PS if you use the (free) dng converter from Adobe. That converter seems to get regularly updated for new bodies.

It adds one (automated) step to postprocessing but in my opinion it is worth it to avoid continuing expenses and adjusting to new software versions.

The OP is already using Lightroom so can process RAWs there

May 31, 2017 at 11:27 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

dhphoto wrote:
The OP is already using Lightroom so can process RAWs there

As long as he/she is using Lr v6, earlier versions are not supported for new cameras ... if it is v5 or earlier, they would still need to rely upon the DNG converter step.

May 31, 2017 at 12:08 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

butchM wrote:
As long as he/she is using Lr v6, earlier versions are not supported for new cameras ... if it is v5 or earlier, they would still need to rely upon the DNG converter step.

That is why I suggested an upgrade of LR standalone

May 31, 2017 at 12:10 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

I figure I have saved over $400 since Adobe tried renting software.. Now trying Affinity and Gimp. So far Affinity is replacing any urges toward PS.

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:34 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

runamuck wrote:
I figure I have saved over $400 since Adobe tried renting software.. Now trying Affinity and Gimp. So far Affinity is replacing any urges toward PS.

I tried Affinity and couldn't get on with it at all, but then I'm a longtime PS user.

I save money by not upgrading PS from version CS3 and doing my RAW processing in LR6 (standalone version) and DPP4. Works for me

Jun 02, 2017 at 01:01 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

dhphoto wrote:
I tried Affinity and couldn't get on with it at all, but then I'm a longtime PS user.

I have been using PS since v2.0 (circa 1992) and have no problems with Affinity Photo. I'm planning on retiring in a couple of years and I don't foresee any issues with substituting AP into my workflow in lieu of Photoshop.

Sure, the tool names and methods are different in AP than in Ps, but the overall procedure is very similar and are accomplished equally well with a much smaller footprint and much more efficient code.

Jun 02, 2017 at 08:46 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Considering Upgrade to Photoshop/Lightroom CC

How much do you use PS for, and which plug-ins do you find indispensable? Unless very old, your LR plug-ins should work with LR6, and depending on what you do with PS, you might get along fine with Affinity Photo. Also, many plug-ins come with free-standing apps, which I find very acceptable. Since roundtripping from PS/LR generally involves shipping JPEG or TIFF files, using plug-ins looses "Rawness", ,so other than a slight workflow bump, editing with a freestanding plug-in app is the same as using the plug-in itself.

Examples: OnOne suites, Macphun apps, [no longer updated] Nik. For example, LR6 supports OnOne, and you can just as easily send files from LR to the OnOne "launcher" app and do whatever you want in OnOne.

Since you mentioned PS actions: Affinity lacks actions or other serious automation at this point, but other than that it's a very good PS alternative. I used to use a lot of PS actions, but with current software capabilities (I use Capture One Pro, Affinity, MacPhun and OnOne), I really don't miss actions at all.

Again: think about what you're doing with PS/actions/plug-ins and decide how important your existing workflow is before committing your hard work to CC rentals. I think it's different if you're competing for business with pros who keep current with CC, but if it's just you for your edification and maybe some income, then think about whether you really need to stick with your current workflow.

Jun 05, 2017 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.