FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2017 · DPP4 New Version Thread

R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · DPP4 New Version Thread

DxO's local adjustments are crude compared to Nik. however, they are also more robust than Nik. DxO has what they call an equalizer for each local adjustment tool. the adjustment tools are brush, graduated filter, control point, auto filter and eraser. you can do a variety of multiple tasks on each adjustment tool ie exposure, contrast, micro-contrast, clear view, vibrance, saturation, temperature, tint, sharpness, and blur to the local area. that is a very diverse set of adjustments. but the movement of the brush tool needs more resolution IMHO for refined movement.

let me add; the movements of DxO PhotoLab are more refined for individuals that use a pen.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:03 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · DPP4 New Version Thread

What is missing in DXO is a clone tool. That is a huge fail. It forces you to use a photo editor app just to clone something or repair with clone tool.

Does the new DXO resolve this annoyance?

I also find DPP often handles bright lighting outdoor wildlife images better. May be the Canon DLO feature.

DXO clearview often makes the colors odd, or makes the exposue too far off on wildlife images. DPP’s DLO does not do this to thr colors or exposure.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · DPP4 New Version Thread

yes and no. with the standard eraser repair tool you can do automatic cloning repairs. however, there is no select source option. the tool works great when fixing skin (acne, blemishes) and removing dust bunnies automatically at that. but it is some what limited because you can't select the source of cloning. it does work just not like one would expect. it is not intuitive. you can actually remove objects with enough patience and improvising the intended use of the tool but you have to be very creative in doing so. APITA.

DXO clearview often makes the colors odd, or makes the exposure too far off on wildlife images. DPP’s DLO does not do this to the colors or exposure.

yes this is true but it can be corrected. i find that clear view actually reduces exposure and introduces artifacts in certain scenes. to over come clear view's detrimental effects i had to be creative. i use the graduated filter tool in conjunction with clear view and re-adjust the exposure as needed along with tweaking the selective tone. i know, but it works.

DLO and clear view are separate tools. DPP4 does not have a tool like clear view to my knowledge.

DxO is an interesting and powerful application. but the user interface sucks and it is not intuitive more of a PITA. however, the damned thing has some good tools.

while i'm at it i should also mention that DxO does not have a Print Studio Pro print plug-in. which translates to an extra set of steps for us Print Makers. DxO must transfer image to photo shop in order to utilize its' capability to print using Print Studio Pro. it would be hell to pay the captain if DxO and DPP4 could bilaterally cross talk to each other. simply put it would be nice if DPP4 could process the RAW including DLO and transfer that post processed RAW image into DxO with the info intact. like DPP4 does for PS. but not a TIFF image a RAW image.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:15 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · DPP4 New Version Thread

When did Canon add DLO modules for the TS-E lenses?

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Support for the TS-E lenses 17mm, 24mm II, 50mm, 90mm and 135mm was added in the latest version 4.7.20.0.

"Changes for Digital Photo Professional 4.7.20 for Windows :

- Supports PowerShot G1 X Mark III, PowerShot G12, PowerShot G11, PowerShot G10, PowerShot G9, PowerShot S95, PowerShot S90, PowerShot SX50 HS, PowerShot SX1 IS.
- Supports EF85mm f/1.4L IS USM, EF-S35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM.
- Supports Chromatic aberration correction, Peripheral illumination correction, Distortion correction, and Digital Lens Optimizer for images captures with a combination of EOS 6D Mark II and TS-E50mm f/2.8L Macro, TS-E90mm f/2.8L Macro, TS-E135mm f/4L Macro, TS-E17mm f/4L, or TS-E24mm f/3.5L II.
- Enhances operability of the Filter/Sort function.
- Supports customization on the Preview Properties Display.
"

It'll be nice when more cameras are added to the list for the TS-E lenses.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:53 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Just to let everyone know DPP 4.7.21 is available on the Canon USA website, released 18th Jan

It installed fine on my windows 7 pc but still has the bug where question marks appear instead of the image when I've applied DLO, on SL2/200D RAW files at least, I'd hoped they'd fixed that.

Edited on Feb 07, 2018 at 12:47 PM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2018 at 03:49 AM
rolsen
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · DPP4 New Version Thread

How come they have not applied update function directly into software, or am I just not able to find it?

Feb 05, 2018 at 06:24 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rolsen wrote:
How come they have not applied update function directly into software, or am I just not able to find it?

No, it doesn't have that option. Perhaps it's just as well because we don't need Canon adding extra options that might make it run even slower

Feb 05, 2018 at 07:33 AM
rolsen
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Clicky94 wrote:
No, it doesn't have that option. Perhaps it's just as well because we don't need Canon adding extra options that might make it run even slower

Yeah, if they are as shi...bad as Canon printer drivers and other SW used to be when I still used Windows, I could just live without those. EOS Utility does have some nice features though.

Feb 05, 2018 at 07:36 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · DPP4 New Version Thread

DPP has good IQ with many images. But the lack of local adjustments, and weak noise reduction capabilities were big issue for me

This is the update I applied to DPP: http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab

Feb 05, 2018 at 08:48 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez wrote:
DPP has good IQ with many images. But the lack of local adjustments, and weak noise reduction capabilities were big issue for me

This is the update I applied to DPP: http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab

My post was really just to let people know an updated version of DPP4 is now available

Feb 05, 2018 at 09:08 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · DPP4 New Version Thread

dhphoto,

I understand. I was just pointing out there are other valid options to consider. Each of us should use what works best for us personally. I am curious what future versions of DPP bring; such as DPP v5.

Feb 05, 2018 at 09:36 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez wrote:
dhphoto,

I understand. I was just pointing out there are other valid options to consider. Each of us should use what works best for us personally. I am curious what future versions of DPP bring; such as DPP v5.

Yes, obviously comment as you see fit, I'm just trying to keep a thread going primarily for new versions of DPP4 as Canon don't announce them.

Feb 05, 2018 at 09:37 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez, This is the update I applied to DPP: http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab

i don't understand your link or post. i also have DxO PhotoLab, how are you applying the update to DPP4?

Feb 05, 2018 at 11:23 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I was joking. I solved my DPP issues by moving to DXO Photolab

Feb 05, 2018 at 01:12 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez wrote:
I was joking. I solved my DPP issues by moving to DXO Photolab

I think for the price DPP is an excellent RAW converter, but it is very slow and not entirely devoid of bugs.

Many say it produces the best IQ though, certainly DLO is a feature that sets it apart from the rest

Feb 05, 2018 at 01:16 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Yes, DPP has good image quality and DLO is a nice feature. I would like to see noise reduction that matched DXO Optics Pro / Photolab "prime" noise reduction and local adjustments.

DPP is certainly a nice app to many Canon users and included free with your camera.

Feb 05, 2018 at 01:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Has anyone found anything new in 4.7.21 other than the two minor items mentioned in the change log?

EBH

Feb 05, 2018 at 11:32 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · DPP4 New Version Thread

DPP4 Version 4.8.20 now available on Canon USA site, released last week.

Just installed it, finally includes a 'check for updates' option in the help menu. On my Win7 desktop there seems to have been a significant speed increase as well, except for the stamp tool which is still hopelessly slow

Mar 05, 2018 at 01:52 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · DPP4 New Version Thread

4.8.20 worked, but could use better noise reduction

Mar 05, 2018 at 03:14 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.