FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2017 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Just in case someone has not read this. True deconvolution. DLO corrects for aberrations like the AA filter while LR and others sharpen to fix it. You get no halos with DLO. In the last 6 months before the recent Adobe announcement I became obsessed checking out which software offers the best lens correction adjustments.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dlo/index.html

Oct 24, 2017 at 09:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · DPP4 New Version Thread

dhphoto wrote:
New DPP4 Version available 4.7.20, released a few days ago

No direct link but it's on the Canon sites
Not positive yet but I think the conversions might be slightly faster

I did not realize there was another update.
How do you keep track?
I don't expect much difference from a minor update, but will test it.

EBH

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I just check Canon USA every month or so to see if there is an update or someone announces it in a forum. How archaic. At least when V4 came out you didn't have to restart your comp for a new update.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Do any of you mix DPP and LR?
LR strong points: DAM, sorting, smart collections, publish collections etc
DPP strong points: Image quality, DLO

Which workflow could be workable? I could imagine smth like this:
1 Import all images into LR
2 Cull by marking as Rejected / Picks
3 Export Picks to a work folder on local hard drive
4 Open DPP and access newly created work folder
5 Do basic adjustments such as exposure
6 Convert all images to 16 bit TIFF and write to a new folder (batch process)
7 Import TIFFs into LR, finish edits and share as desired

Of course we could also cull in DPP and skip steps 1 through 4.

The main drawback of DPP RAW conversion appears to be that it renders my Colour Management Tool (Colorchecker Passport) useless as the profiles are only usable in LR/ACR during RAW conversion.

Thoughts?

Ralph

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:55 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · DPP4 New Version Thread

PS I had a look today at the Canon web site and it served me 4.7.1. Maybe they revoked 4.7.2? Or is it a regional thing?

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:13 AM
Rusty1
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · DPP4 New Version Thread

After serous culling to select shots I use DPP default settings for a better overall conversions than ACR. I have been known to leave the room while waiting on a big batch to process. My editing is done in PS.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:14 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rabbitmountain wrote:
PS I had a look today at the Canon web site and it served me 4.7.1. Maybe they revoked 4.7.2? Or is it a regional thing?

It's on the UK site, maybe try there (I used the M100 as my camera of choice as it's the newest I could think of)

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rabbitmountain wrote:

Canon USA is showing 4.7.2 for the 5D4. Same for 7D2.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:17 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I use DPP, LR and PS. I always cull using DPP first. I like the clarity I get with quick check - full size. I first download the files to the desktop. I place an X unusable/unwanted files, then Edit - Rating - Select rejected images only then move to trash.

I then re-name the folder, import into LR and do my editing. When done I move it to external storage. I can still access the files with DPP or PS. If all goes well then I re-format the card.

For onesies I mix it up and edit using DPP only. DLO is a nice feature. Canon needed something for the capture correction phase as it only had one sharpening option. DPP has improved their resampling for downsizing I think. I never liked it 10 years ago which got me to use PS for downloading and final sharpening. I don't have a problem using DPP exclusively these days. I still prefer LR for multiple files. DLO takes 7 seconds to do it's thing and to export takes another 35 per file.

Now with LR going subscription I have some thinking do to. Not in a big hurry as LR still recognizes the RAW files. I have decided to stop converting to DNG for PS for 5D4 files and just use LR's edit in PS command. I am using PS much less these days. We will see what happens in 2018 and rumours about the 7D3.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:41 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Zenon Char wrote:
I use DPP, LR and PS. I always cull using DPP first. I like the clarity I get with quick check - full size. I first download the files to the desktop. I place an X unusable/unwanted files, then Edit - Rating - Select rejected images only then move to trash.

I then re-name the folder, import into LR and do my editing. When done I move it to external storage. I can still access the files with DPP or PS. If all goes well then I re-format the card.

For onesies I mix it up and edit using DPP
...Show more

Your workflow is real simular to mine except I don't use LR just dabble with it sometimes. PS CS6 is my main workhorse for final outputs, DPP being my go to tool for RAW conversions.

My question is you mentioned using DPP exclusively nowdays and mentioned sharpening. If I read you right, what are your usual settings for sharpening in DPP? I'm stuck on the unsharp mask in PS which seems to work okay but am always looking to improve.

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:26 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I find between 4 and 5 works for me. I don't use unsharp mask, just sharpness. I also created a recipe and saved it so I can apply DLO, colour blur, peripheral illumination and distortion to multiple files. I don't often work on multiple files using DPP. I leave it on my desktop so I can quickly apply it to even just one file.

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:46 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Zenon Char wrote:
I always cull using DPP first. I like the clarity I get with quick check - full size. I first download the files to the desktop. I place an X unusable/unwanted files, then Edit - Rating - Select rejected images only then move to trash.

I then re-name the folder, import into LR and do my editing.

Hi Zenon, glad to be in contact again Your workflow looks more straightforward because you use DPP for culling. However, once in LR, there is no way to look at deleted photos as you only transfer your selected to LR.
The wish to review deleted photos occurs to me regularly, but not often.

I will try your workflow after my next shoot. I suppose it comes down to knowing which edits one needs to make while still having the RAW file latitude to work with, so at least exposure for missed exposures in camera and probably also shadows lifting where desired.

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:22 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · DPP4 New Version Thread

You may want to create a separate folder for the iffy shots in case you want to got back. I have so many files I will more than likely never use from the last 12 years I have started to be more selective.

I have read about faststone and other viewers but there is something special about DPP at full screen. 10 years ago I spent months trying to figure out how to get my processed images using both DPP and PS to look as good. I was not the only one. I found this.

I observed this many years ago when there was a rash of people complaining that their exported jpgs didn't look as good as they did in DPP. DPP's downsizing algorithm for 'fit to screen' display is very good - contrasty which creates the illusion of sharpness - while other applications sacrificed quality for speed. And so the stock reply to all those complaints became, "Compare at 100%."

I don't find DPP slow as you hit the forward and backward cursors in quick check. It used to be but Canon must have corrected something.

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:31 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · DPP4 New Version Thread

With 4.7.20 now installed on my system I still notice that the Edit Image Window still displays/renders images quicker than the Quick Check Window as in past versions. Maybe Canon should have named these utilities Quick Edit Image Window & Slow Check Window.

BTW, DPP4 was frustratingly slow waiting for images to render (rez up) in Quick Check Window or Edit Image Window until I stumbled over a graphics processor setting. Go to:
Tools>Preferences > Image Processing 2 and then under “Graphics processor settings” select: “Use graphics processor for image processing”. Next Close & restart DPP for the changes to take effect.

Makes me think that an even beefier graphics card in my computer the faster the image viewing will go however I'm not motivated to throw more $$$ at some new wizbang graphics card since things are moving along nicely now. If I were processing large numbers of photos in the middle of the night then yes I would consider experimentation to be in order.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · DPP4 New Version Thread

The thing that is ludicrously slow on my machines is the DPP4 clone tool. Switch to that and I have a 15-20 second wait before anything happens! A bit of re-coding needed there!

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · DPP4 New Version Thread

It has it's quirks. I'll update when I get home. Got an iffy wifi connection.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:42 AM
Rusty1
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Zenon Char wrote:
It has it's quirks. I'll update when I get home. Got an iffy wifi connection.

Hi Zenon any suggestions on how to batch process default settings in 4.0 with DLO selected? Will that work with a batch including files shot with different lens?

DPP's color is so much better to my eye.

All suggestions appreciated

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:28 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I woud create a recipe. Do your sharpening and DLO settings for pen file. Choose Edit - Save recipe in file. Find a spot to keep your recipe. When your have a bunch of files select them all then click on - Read and paste from file and select the file.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:46 PM
Rusty1
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Zenon Char wrote:
I woud create a recipe. Do your sharpening and DLO settings for pen file. Choose Edit - Save recipe in file. Find a spot to keep your recipe. When your have a bunch of files select them all then click on - Read and paste from file and select the file.

Thanks That is what I was looking for. Greatly appreciated

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:41 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Sorry I meant do your sharpening and DLO settings for an open file. I'm at the airport and my nachos and beer just arrived as I was typing this.

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:48 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.