FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

DPP4 New Version Thread

Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DPP4 New Version Thread

technic wrote:
I would also go with the i5 when buying the Surface Pro4 (or the new model), but would prefer a bigger internal drive and 16 GB RAM. The 3500 euro is for the version with 1 TB internal drive which is way overpriced ... the i5/8GB/256GB Pro 4 is now selling for around 1100 euro (it was a few hundred more last month), so similar to US price. However, I don't know if I can work with just 256GB internal drive, I would have to change my work-flow for that (I don't like hooking up to external drives, especially with
...Show more

The MS SP4 has a micro-SD card slot just below and behind the power connector. Plus I picked up one of these http://amzn.to/2rx4d3O for $10, a great fit and a great deal that really expands the storage options.

Jun 02, 2017 at 04:20 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DPP4 New Version Thread

DPP 4.7.1 is available for download if anyone is interested, I don't have a direct link but got to it via the Canon downloads section

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:02 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Hopefully this fixes the brightness glitching I've been getting with 4.6.

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:13 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Thanks for the alert, dhphoto.

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:11 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I took a quick gander at the updated supported lens data list in DPP and see that the new EF35mm f/1.4L II was added.

I don't see this mentioned in the 4.7.1 update history notes on the Canon USA site.

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:27 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I am finding DPP v4.7.1 to be stable and fast on an Imac 5K even when I set the video to very high resolution modes or to 5K.

I think Canon may have done some tuning of the noise reduction as well.

Sep 06, 2017 at 11:42 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez wrote:
I am finding DPP v4.7.1 to be stable and fast on an Imac 5K even when I set the video to very high resolution modes or to 5K.

I think Canon may have done some tuning of the noise reduction as well.

I thought it was a little faster on my Win7 desktop, but I haven't had a lot of time to experiment

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:57 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I need to have a beer and get better acquainted with DPP as my Adobe CC sub is renewed every Christmas.

So, learn DPP and bring out the Gimp...

Sep 07, 2017 at 06:27 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Paul Mo wrote:
I need to have a beer and get better acquainted with DPP as my Adobe CC sub is renewed every Christmas.

So, learn DPP and bring out the Gimp...

Get yourself a standalone Lightroom, much as DPP4 is slowly improving LR has tools I just wouldn't want to be without now

Sep 07, 2017 at 07:19 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I am considering what to do come Christmas. I just downloaded DPP and will give it another try - Canon certainly don't make the DPP download link easy to find.

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Paul Mo wrote:
I am considering what to do come Christmas. I just downloaded DPP and will give it another try - Canon certainly don't make the DPP download link easy to find.

That's why I didn't include a link, over here you have to go to the Canon site, choose a new camera model, enter a serial number of some kind and then it will let you download. A faff

Sep 07, 2017 at 12:36 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I think DPP image quality easily beats Lightroom or Photoshop (Adobe Camera Raw)
Best of all DPP does not have the slow sluggish database of Lightroom to deal with.

But use what works best for you and enjoy photography processing.

Sep 07, 2017 at 06:33 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez wrote:
I think DPP image quality easily beats Lightroom or Photoshop (Adobe Camera Raw)
Best of all DPP does not have the slow sluggish database of Lightroom to deal with.

I find DPP very slow, clunky and the actual conversions take simply ages to complete, on my i7 pc the stamp tool takes over 10 seconds to fire up for each shot. Granted I think DPP can have a slight edge in colour reproduction and I like the DLO feature but to say it 'easily beats' LR is totally wrong IMO

LR is a much better more versatile program with developing features DPP simply can't come close to, plus DPP's sharpening is crude and basic

Sep 07, 2017 at 07:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Last night and this morning I spent some time with DPP, again. I have used it in the past.

Surprising how coarse some of the adjustments can be - like slider steps between 1 vs 2 vs 3 resulting in severe changes. A case where less, or even zero, is more.

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:00 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Paul Mo wrote:
Last night and this morning I spent some time with DPP, again. I have used it in the past.

Surprising how coarse some of the adjustments can be - like slider steps between 1 vs 2 vs 3 resulting in severe changes. A case where less, or even zero, is more.

In DPP4 you can make changes in almost all the sliders in 0.1 increments

Sep 08, 2017 at 05:26 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Paul, as DH says, move the sliders themselves incrementally, instead of clicking the black space fore and aft of them. By directly handling a slider, you can inch it forward and backward with higher "granularity". Also, arrow keys function as a nudge if I recall.

*barfs for using word*

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:23 AM
jrhoffman75
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Most sliders have up/down arrows.

The sliders move in steps of 1; the arrows 0.1.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:08 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · DPP4 New Version Thread

excatly jrhoffman75

Use the up/down buttons at the end
that allows fractional increases 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc

Sep 08, 2017 at 03:54 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · DPP4 New Version Thread

New DPP4 Version available 4.7.20, released a few days ago

No direct link but it's on the Canon sites
Not positive yet but I think the conversions might be slightly faster

Oct 24, 2017 at 07:04 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez wrote:

I use DPP for culling and occasionally for editing. DLO is an excellent tool but with careful editing using the Detail Tab in LR I can do just as good with good quality glass. DLO does make a difference with foliage, etc on the outsides when shooting with a WA lens. Unless you print posters it is hard to tell the difference.

You can't set up DLO in preferences and if you activated it in the camera it slows things down. I takes DLO about 7 seconds to do its thing and about 35 seconds to export a file. My main beef about DPP. If they put DPP's engine and DLO in LR I'd pay for it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:10 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password