New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2017 · DPP4 New Version Thread

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I have been regularly checking the UK and US Canon sites trying to see if there is a newer version of DPP4 than mine (4.6.10.0). I'm still hoping there will be some streamlining of what has become a passable program with the excellent DLO.

Checking seems to involve choosing a new model of camera on the Canon sites and seeing if the website has been updated in the downloads section. Not particularly user-friendly.

Canon don't announce updates and so if anyone sees one I would be really grateful if they could post about it, perhaps here...

May 31, 2017 at 06:15 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Sure thing. I was on the fence about resubscribing to Photoshop CC last December - GUI and performances updates to DPP might not see that happen next time around.

May 31, 2017 at 06:55 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Paul Mo wrote:
Sure thing. I was on the fence about resubscribing to Photoshop CC last December - GUI and performances updates to DPP might not see that happen next time around.

Since I made some subtle upgrades to my pc I'm finding DPP4 more or less usable, except for the clone tool which is ridiculously slow to start (10 seconds at least on my pc) and the actual conversions, which take ages.

The actual output file quality, especially with average lenses using DLO is very good, substantially better than Lightroom in those particular circumstances. The LR lens profiles don't come close to doing what DLO does.

I'm hoping some young buck programmer gets hold if it and makes it better still (and faster) in which case I'd really like to know about it and not have to keep hunting!

May 31, 2017 at 07:21 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DPP4 New Version Thread

dhphoto wrote:
Since I made some subtle upgrades to my pc I'm finding DPP4 more or less usable, except for the clone tool which is ridiculously slow to start (10 seconds at least on my pc) and the actual conversions, which take ages.

The actual output file quality, especially with average lenses using DLO is very good, substantially better than Lightroom in those particular circumstances. The LR lens profiles don't come close to doing what DLO does.

I'm hoping some young buck programmer gets hold if it and makes it better still (and faster) in which case I'd really like to know about it
...Show more

I noticed recently that DPP4 gets way slower when your working folder with RAW images fills up beyond a few thousand files, add some more files and the batch processing etc. stop working (the program simply hangs if I start batch processing or file conversion). My guess is that DPP4 keeps smaller versions of all the files in the current directory in memory, and just fills up all the computer memory with that - not very clever ... The workaround is to clean up the working directory from time to time but I don't see why it should be this way :-(

With DPP3 this never was a problem even though my system then had only 2 GB of memory (I now have 4 GB and DPP is probably 10x slower for batch processing compared to DPP3 on a 2 GB system). I have a very old dual-core Atom mini-PC that is not the most likely choice for image processing, but with the right software it works fine (e.g. Photoshop CS5 runs without any problems). And yes, I like the output and most of the DPP4 interface - it's just that it is terribly slow on my system compared to most other imaging software. BTW, with just 2 GB memory DPP4 would usually freeze right after starting on my system, what a memory hog ;-(

May 31, 2017 at 10:08 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I haven't used that many files in one folder, I'm rarely using more than a few hundred but yes it does slow down even then.

DPP3 gives the same final output as DPP4 I think, just with an older interface and was a very useful and quick program, unfortunately it doesn't support the newer DSLRs

May 31, 2017 at 10:11 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Edited on Sep 04, 2017 at 10:38 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2017 at 11:13 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DPP4 New Version Thread

rattlebonez wrote:
I switched from DPP v4 to DXO Optics Pro Elite v11

No regrets, DXO has excellent IQ

Consider other options to DPP

I've tried them all and chosen LR and DPP4.

I didn't like the DXO interface at all, far too fussy

The purpose of the thread was for DPP Upgrades BTW

May 31, 2017 at 11:25 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DPP4 New Version Thread

I've been using DPP4 a lot more lately. The output buries Aperture and ACR for troublesome images but, yeah, the interface could use some refinements. The leveling/cropping tool is about as awkward as you could possibly make it. But the conversion profile, color adjustment and DLO are the best and save time over my other apps (which require a lot clicks for a similar but not as good result) even with DPP being a little slow. With that said, I haven't noticed any slowdowns under the Mac OS and I'm running a very modest Mac Mini with only an i7 Quad and 16GB RAM.

May 31, 2017 at 12:05 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Gochugogi wrote:
I've been using DPP4 a lot more lately. The output buries Aperture and ACR for troublesome images but, yeah, the interface could use some refinements. The leveling/cropping tool is about as awkward as you could possibly make it. But the conversion profile, color adjustment and DLO are the best and save time over my other apps (which require a lot clicks for a similar but not as good result) even with DPP being a little slow. With that said, I haven't noticed any slowdowns under the Mac OS and I'm running a very modest Mac Mini with only an i7
...Show more

The clone tool is extraordinarily slow on my setup, the conversions merely very slow

May 31, 2017 at 12:14 PM
pshyvers

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DPP4 New Version Thread

technic wrote:
BTW, with just 2 GB memory DPP4 would usually freeze right after starting on my system, what a memory hog ;-(

Every photo editing tool is a memory hog, I've just accepted it and forked out a little more cash for RAM when building computers. They could probably do better, but in part it's just the nature of the beast when you're skimming through countless RAWs, each of which is 60-100MB uncompressed (cr2 has internal compression)

May 31, 2017 at 01:23 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Ditto on the clone tool being slow. It's also limited to dust removal and basic tweaks which is most of what I need so I'm glad it's there. For everything else there's PS.

I've stopped using "Quick Check" as it isn't. It's as slow as molasses in January!

I now do my first pass of image culling & rating in the regular edit window via "Edit Image" (Ctrl + right arrow) as it renders a usable viewing resolution of a fitted image much quicker @ ~2s vs 14s for the same image in Quick Check.

BTW, I'm running Win 7 64 on a 2nd gen i7 quad with 24gb RAM.
Edit:
BTW to the BTW: These are 5DsR full size CR2 files.

Edited on May 31, 2017 at 05:17 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2017 at 02:06 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DPP4 New Version Thread

pshyvers wrote:
Every photo editing tool is a memory hog, I've just accepted it and forked out a little more cash for RAM when building computers. They could probably do better, but in part it's just the nature of the beast when you're skimming through countless RAWs, each of which is 60-100MB uncompressed (cr2 has internal compression)

I know memory is often one of the primary limitations on processing speed, but my computer cannot handle more than 4 GB and I hate switching computers every few years just because of this. I worked in the image processing industry for many years and know that all this isn't necessary - there are many good imaging programs that do far better than DPP4 on a modest system.

I'm now looking out for a completely new computer system just for photography work, but improvements over the last years seem more and more infinitesimal especially when looking at value for money. I don't like big, noisy and power-hungry desktops which severely limits my options ;-(

May 31, 2017 at 02:20 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DPP4 New Version Thread

Photonadave wrote:
Ditto on the clone tool being slow. It's also limited to dust removal and basic tweaks which is most of what I need so I'm glad it's there. For everything else there's PS.

I've stopped using "Quick Check" as it isn't. It's as slow as molasses in January!

I now do my first pass of image culling & rating in the regular edit window via "Edit Image" (Ctrl + right arrow) as it renders a usable viewing resolution of a fitted image much quicker @ ~2s vs 14s for the same image in Quick Check.

BTW, I'm running Win 7 64 on a
...Show more

|I'm doing my quick check with Faststone Image Viewer nowadays (on my very modest computer it takes 3-4 seconds while DPP4 takes over 30 seconds per file for Quick Check). In DPP3 speed was acceptable but DPP3 cannot handle my 80D files, so I have no choice ...

May 31, 2017 at 02:25 PM
pshyvers

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DPP4 New Version Thread

technic, the new AMD chips are pretty good value for the money. I just purpose built a micro ATX machine for editing that I like a lot so far. I was going wholesale for value, I think it wound up around $500 USD after a lot of shopping around. It's quiet & little. Ask if you want more details.

I don't know what kind of machine you have, but if it's limited to 4GB RAM, it's probably a good bit more than a few years old, and you will see solid improvements.

May 31, 2017 at 04:32 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DPP4 New Version Thread

pshyvers wrote:
technic, the new AMD chips are pretty good value for the money. I just purpose built a micro ATX machine for editing that I like a lot so far. I was going wholesale for value, I think it wound up around $500 USD after a lot of shopping around. It's quiet & little. Ask if you want more details.

I don't know what kind of machine you have, but if it's limited to 4GB RAM, it's probably a good bit more than a few years old, and you will see solid improvements.

Sounds interesting, can you give me some details? I built workstations long ago but haven't kept up with computer hardware over the last 5 years at least. My current system is an ASRock Ion system (dual-core Atom, NVidia ION graphics, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB internal disk, Eizo CS240 monitor). Yes, it is many years old and outdated technology but very small and quiet. I have considered buying a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 or Microsoft Studio for their nice displays but then we are talking about 3500-5000 euro's for a sensible configuration so I'm taking my time to decide, also because here in Europe it takes ages before we get the Mickeysoft products.

A much cheaper system that can also do the job would be nice (bonus points if it can handle basic video editing in fullHD/4K?). Price isn't a real issue but I like value for money ;-)

Jun 01, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DPP4 New Version Thread

dhphoto wrote:
I've tried them all and chosen LR and DPP4.

I didn't like the DXO interface at all, far too fussy

The purpose of the thread was for DPP Upgrades BTW

The DxO interface allows you to turn off modules you don't use and it's still beats the DPP interface hands down.

Jun 01, 2017 at 08:34 AM
pshyvers

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DPP4 New Version Thread

technic, it boiled down like this:

- R7 1600X ($250)
- A320 microATX motherboard ($60)
- RX550 ($80)
- 16GB 2400MHz single stick ($80)
- small M.2 drive ($60)
- budget PSU ($30)

Slightly more than the $500 I quoted when I add it up. But anyway, the 1600X has excellent single thread perf, plus 12 threads for parallelizable editing (like batch photos or video). Budget motherboard chipset because we don't need overclocking or flashy lights. RX550 should be enough for editing & 4K, and mine is very compact & slot-powered. I went for the 5 series over the cheaper 4 series because the 5 series supports HDR and the newest version of DP. (eventual upgrade) Skimp on RAM speed because it helps games, not photo editing, and single stick lets you add a second if you need more later. M.2 drives are awesome, blisteringly fast, and budget ones are quite cheap. Make sure your mobo has a M.2 slot, and install Windows/Linux/programs on the SSD and store RAWs on platters.

Basically I splurged everywhere that is of value for media editing, (single thread perf, M.2, 16GB),and went as cheap as possible on everything that is not (budget mobo, slower RAM, small SSD). It's small, it's reasonable on power, it's not totally silent but that's mostly because I got cheap fans.

Jun 01, 2017 at 10:26 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DPP4 New Version Thread

technic wrote:
Sounds interesting, can you give me some details? I built workstations long ago but haven't kept up with computer hardware over the last 5 years at least. My current system is an ASRock Ion system (dual-core Atom, NVidia ION graphics, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB internal disk, Eizo CS240 monitor). Yes, it is many years old and outdated technology but very small and quiet. I have considered buying a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 or Microsoft Studio for their nice displays but then we are talking about 3500-5000 euro's for a sensible configuration so I'm taking my time to decide, also
...Show more

I just recently bought an i5/8GB ram/256GB Surface Pro 4 and installed the latest version of DPP on it. It runs as fast as my i7/16GB Dell. They just released what they're simply calling a "Surface Pro" with double the battery life, and increases the pen from 1024 to 4096 levels. Consequently you can find some incredible deals on Surface Pro 4's. I bought mine for $1088 plus $149 for two years of accidental damage coverage.

Standalone Photoshop CS6 runs great, after tweaking the program to display properly on a High-DPI display.

Get a friend in Canada or the US to pickup a MS Surface and ship it to you to take advantage of the price differential..... $3500 euro is about $5000 Canadian so you would save a lot of money if that is what you need to do.

Jun 01, 2017 at 11:19 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DPP4 New Version Thread

pshyvers wrote:
technic, it boiled down like this:

- R7 1600X ($250)
- A320 microATX motherboard ($60)
- RX550 ($80)
- 16GB 2400MHz single stick ($80)
- small M.2 drive ($60)
- budget PSU ($30)

Slightly more than the $500 I quoted when I add it up. But anyway, the 1600X has excellent single thread perf, plus 12 threads for parallelizable editing (like batch photos or video). Budget motherboard chipset because we don't need overclocking or flashy lights. RX550 should be enough for editing & 4K, and mine is very compact & slot-powered. I went for the 5 series over the cheaper 4
...Show more

Thanks, I will look into that in the next weeks. There are no local shops in my part of the country that sell good quality hardware components, it's either complete brand systems from companies like Mediamarkt or very cheap assembly clones. So I have to order all parts from webshops (that often don't know exactly what they are selling ...) and it's probably going to be a lot more expensive over here.
---------------------------------------------

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I just recently bought an i5/8GB ram/256GB Surface Pro 4 and installed the latest version of DPP on it. It runs as fast as my i7/16GB Dell. They just released what they're simply calling a "Surface Pro" with double the battery life, and increases the pen from 1024 to 4096 levels. Consequently you can find some incredible deals on Surface Pro 4's. I bought mine for $1088 plus $149 for two years of accidental damage coverage.

Standalone Photoshop CS6 runs great, after tweaking the program to display properly on a High-DPI display.

Get a friend in Canada or the US to
...Show more

I would also go with the i5 when buying the Surface Pro4 (or the new model), but would prefer a bigger internal drive and 16 GB RAM. The 3500 euro is for the version with 1 TB internal drive which is way overpriced ... the i5/8GB/256GB Pro 4 is now selling for around 1100 euro (it was a few hundred more last month), so similar to US price. However, I don't know if I can work with just 256GB internal drive, I would have to change my work-flow for that (I don't like hooking up to external drives, especially with such small laptops).

The MS Studio all-in-one is going to cost around 5000 euros for a serious configuration, but it's not even known for sure if they will be sold here (the Surface Pro 4 has only been available over here for a few months ...). Of course the main attraction of that system is the ultrahigh resolution display and the assumption that it all works well because it is sold as a complete system. Will have to see what the users think ;-)

Jun 01, 2017 at 03:34 PM
pshyvers

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DPP4 New Version Thread

technic wrote:
Thanks, I will look into that in the next weeks. There are no local shops in my part of the country that sell good quality hardware components, it's either complete brand systems from companies like Mediamarkt or very cheap assembly clones. So I have to order all parts from webshops (that often don't know exactly what they are selling ...) and it's probably going to be a lot more expensive over here.

Yeah, I don't know what the market looks like over there. I just get everything on Amazon & Newegg. Looks like Newegg will ship to the Netherlands...

Jun 01, 2017 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.