New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

DanC.Licks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

I am writing this on behalf of a friend in Sweden who has been testing an E-M1 II and a 300/4 Pro lately. Where he is getting excellent results with S-AF, he is getting NOTHING BUT out of focus shots with both C-AF and C-AF+TR. He has tried on both moving and on static subjects with different AF point arrays and different IS settings, and of some 500+ shots, he got ZERO in focus. Where it seems to be right on in S-AF, it is front focusing quite heavily in C-AF. Sound strange? Any ideas?
Wish I could get my hands on a 300/4 Pro to try out....

Thanks
Dan

May 31, 2017 at 06:28 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

That doesn't sound right at all.

I don't have the 300, and I've only used tracking focus a few times on easier subjects like snowboarding, skiing and biking, but my in focus rate was probably better than 90%.

Does the tracking focus use Phase Detect and single focus use Contrast Detect possibly? I believe you can add focus adjustments on the MKII, but I'm not sure it would apply only to C-AF or both.

May 31, 2017 at 12:52 PM
whumber
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

C-AF + TR can be a bit hit or miss but it's fairly odd that he's having so much trouble with regular C-AF. Does he have the camera set to all points, 5 point group, single point?

May 31, 2017 at 07:10 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

As a test, he might try CAF with all points, set to On2, 0 setting on CAF Lock and try shooting larger BIF which should be easy if there's no background, only sky. I might also try a full reset, he may have something set strangely.

He might also look at Wrotniak.net or Mirrorlessons.com for their suggestions.

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:28 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Has he tried it with easier subjects like cars or something like that? Should be easier for the camera and thus easier to see if something is really off or not.

Where in Sweden does he live? While I have neither the 300mm or the E-M1.2 I have used Olympus for 5 years and have quite some experience with the camera. I live in the southern most part of Sweden.

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:10 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Like Bob said, he should try a reset to get all settings back to default.

And he should send some of those out-of-focus shots to you. Then you should post them here as jpegs with EXIF included.

With so many optional settings in the menu, it is possible he has one set incorrectly that affects C-AF and C-AF+TR.

Jun 01, 2017 at 05:25 AM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Thanks for the suggestions!
As far as I know he tried all different AF point settings and different kinds of subjects, both moving and static. He was getting good results with S-AF and hopeless with C-AF and C-AF+TR. I will pass this on and suggest he join up here, but I think he only had it over the weekend to test. There must me something set wrong. I can't believe it could be so bad. What I saw looked pretty far off.

I never use even C-AF (useless with my standard E-M1 II/Canon 400/5.6/Metabones rig), but as others on the bird forum are also reporting front focusing with C-AF and C-AF+TR, I did some testing of my only mFT lens yesterday, the 75-300 II. In general I found the AF not to be as consistent and accurate as the PDAF driven Canon 400/Metabones setup, (spot on every time on my static test target) so it was a little hard to tell, but on the whole I also found a slight bit of front focusing using C-AF and C-AF+TR. Here are a couple of average shots.

Bigger
Bigger

All with single AF point here
and de-focusing between shots. I have had to give it -1 AF adjust on the long end. The difference is visible at any AF adjust setting.
As I said, the AF with this lens on the E-M1 II is plenty fast, but just not as reliable as what I consistently get with the Canon/Metabones or the FT 50-200.

Jun 01, 2017 at 06:30 AM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Maybe on to something. It seems in his eagerness to try it out and not having had much time, he may have had the frame rates set too high for C-AF and C-AF+TR to work properly.

Jun 01, 2017 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Yeah as I wrote in the mail to him. C-AF works with Low FPS, but low FPS on the E-M1 Mk II is very high compared to other cameras. It's 10fps for mechanical shutter and 18 fps for electronic shutter.
High FPS is 15 fps for mechanical (with locked focus) and 60 fps for electronic (with locked focus).

Jun 01, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

I think there is a miss understanding in comparing it with the E-M1 Mk I with which he is used to.

Low fps in the Mk II is equal to 10 fps with mechanical shutter, or 18 fps with electronic. "Only" low fps enables C-AF to work. However, "low" fps in the Mk II is very fast and equals the Mk I's high fps.

As he has set the camera to high fps and mechanical shutter in order to avoid rolling shutter jello effect this automatically disables C-AF.

Had he set it to low fps (which is really fast) his C-AF would have worked.

Jun 01, 2017 at 01:59 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Seems to be the case.
The "jello effect" is almost a non-issue now with the Mark II. I can't remember when I last used the mechanical shutter!

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:08 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Yeah I heard many people say the jello effect is almost gone, sounds nice!
Check over in the E-M1 Mk II thread and you will see it on some of the hummingbird shots (on the wings) but that's a pretty fast motion to capture anyway.

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:18 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

There have been a few cases where I have noticed it, but nothing like with the Mark I! I have taken now over 10,000 shots with the Mark II, and only about 10% with the mechanical shutter, and they were in the beginning before I really learned to trust the electronic shutter.
The read time is now about 1/60 second, compared to 1/15 with the Mark I. I think if they could get it down to 1/125 people wouldn't even mention rolling shutter any more.

P.S. I am only talking about stills. I don't do and know NOTHING about video!

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

About the read time, Jman has an interesting thread going regarding the new Sony A9 (no I don't want it anyway). They've managed to really get a fast read out speed on the sensor. Even the golf clubs in the swing are mostly clear from rolling shutter, or even completely clear.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1492788/0?keyword=golf#14054932

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:57 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

The Sony A9 has a scan or readout time of 1/150 s for the electronic shutter. A mechanical shutter has about 1/300 s scan time, so the electronic shutter will soon surpass the mechanical shutter altogether. The Sony A9 does still use the mechanical shutter for flash sync, but don't ask me why.

Jun 02, 2017 at 12:32 AM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · E-M1 II C-AF(+TR) question.

Amazing progress in such a short time! When I got my E-M1 Mark I just over four years ago, it had neither silent shutter nor electronic first curtain. Each came with firmware updates and each was a big step foreward. Who knows what will still come for the Mark II?

BTW, for fun I tested the Mark II 60 fps thing on my Mark I set to 1/60. I wanted to see which way the shutter moved, up or down as it determines which way virticals are slanted due to movement. Pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157681374199005
Try that with a DSLR!

Jun 02, 2017 at 05:12 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password