New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Capture One Histogram Accuracy

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture One Histogram Accuracy

I'm currently using Capture One 9

On occasion, I will find a slight discrepancy in the histogram with respect to blacks and peak whites when comparing C-1 and Photoshop.

I might set peak whites to hit the end of the histogram in C-1, but hen find I need to up the peak whites ever so slightly in PS.

So it makes me wonder if C-1 is showing me a histogram of the actual RAW file (albeit with any adjustments), or if it is showing levels relating to the output settings I have in my viewing profile, (I have it always set to sRGB)

C-1 vs 10 gives an opportunity to view output as per the actual output recipe, so I wonder if vs10 would give me better histogram accuracy (at least for peak whites and black levels).

Thoughts anyone?

May 30, 2017 at 07:31 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture One Histogram Accuracy

All Histograms, with the exception of RawDigger/FastRawViewer are based on calculations being extrapolated from a lot of factors and will never show you a true representation of the color/tonal distribution underneath. C1P has, at any given moment, at least two different Histograms going at the same time. If you switch color output in your recipes, it will show you shifts in the Histogram palette but the Histogram in the Levels palette remains unchanged. And neither line up exactly.

When you move to Photoshop, if you're working with raw, ACR applies its own color/tone calculations which will display a different Histogram depending - both as it relates to the C1P Histogram, but also depending on the process date you've set ACR to in the Camera tab.

If you want to compare what you're seeing with what's truly available you have to step away from both C1P and PS and view the file in RawDigger or FRV. If you want C1P and PS to line up exactly at all times… good luck. My hunch is it will be near impossible.

May 30, 2017 at 08:45 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture One Histogram Accuracy

Yes it is frustrating.

I'll settle for peak whites being peak white and blacks being black on the histogram.

They can do what they like in the middle...

May 30, 2017 at 09:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture One Histogram Accuracy

Why not output a file and compare in both programs. Here's a screen shot of a C1 screenshot with the same file opened side by side in Ps with Ps displaying the Luminosity histogram just below the same in C1. Pretty damned close by my eyes. I'd be more concerned with exact pixel values to judge anything about your files. I never actually use Histograms beyond a really rough idea of potential clipping on the camera LCD, but never ever in Ps. They're not needed there if you have the Info Palette and know how to use it.

Jun 05, 2017 at 05:19 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password