Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

I'm running it on CC, but I also have a copy of CS5 loaded on that computer that will continue to run it if/when it no longer runs on CC. That computer is running XP, but eventually it will have to be upgraded to W10.

If W10 won't run Nik, I also have another computer that's still running W7 and CS5, which isn't connected to the internet and will never be upgraded. That's my backup plan if/when nothing else runs Nik at some point.

Jun 18, 2017 at 03:11 PM
ian73

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
If W10 won't run Nik, ...

FWIW, NIK is running just fine for me under Windows 10.

Jun 18, 2017 at 03:30 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

ian73 wrote:

Good to know, although I suppose that it (or a successor) could stop working at some point.

Jun 18, 2017 at 03:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

EB-1 wrote:
I don't see any support for the PC, only the Mac? I thought the NIK worked on PCs.

EBH

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
It does - I'm running it on Windows XP.

Yes, of course.
Somehow my reply to a previous post was lost. I meant to quote the alternative Macphfun software.

EBH

Jun 18, 2017 at 04:55 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

W10 and the latest versions of Photoshop CC has no issues with NIK. There is the odd tiny bug I notice sometimes but nothing that prevents it from working.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

No problems on my MBP and iMac running MacOS Sierra. But I rarely use it now that better plugins are available.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:14 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

EGrav wrote:
No problems on my MBP and iMac running MacOS Sierra. But I rarely use it now that better plugins are available.

What is your preferred alternative to Color Efex Pro and HDR EFex Pro2? I've yet to find anything that even comes close to the HDR Plug-in with extensive research and trying out multiple programs, but I admit I haven't looked into any alternatives for Color Efex.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:52 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

ian73 wrote:

Me too. I really like NIK software, especially their Silver Efex Pro, but honestly I've either found other plugins that do just as well or I've learned to accomplish the same things with PS.

I especially liked their control point concept, but now I just use adjustment layers with masks and have more precise control.

Jun 19, 2017 at 01:07 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

dmacmillan wrote:
Me too. I really like NIK software, especially their Silver Efex Pro, but honestly I've either found other plugins that do just as well or I've learned to accomplish the same things with PS.

I especially liked their control point concept, but now I just use adjustment layers with masks and have more precise control.

Silver Efex is the only component that I use. I don't use control points either; just choose a mode and then fine tune opacity and masking. Typically I only use 35-50% Opacity just to tweak my already-Photoshopped file a bit more.

Jun 19, 2017 at 01:46 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

CanadaMark wrote:
What is your preferred alternative to Color Efex Pro and HDR EFex Pro2? I've yet to find anything that even comes close to the HDR Plug-in with extensive research and trying out multiple programs, but I admit I haven't looked into any alternatives for Color Efex.

I don't do any HDR - can't stand the look - but I know that is a personal preference. I am now mostly using MacPhun or On1 plugins on luminosity masks. Occasionally Topaz. I started with Tony Kuyper's Luminosity Panel, but now mostly use Greg Benz' Lumenzia Panel.
YMMV

Jun 19, 2017 at 01:55 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

EGrav wrote:
I don't do any HDR - can't stand the look - but I know that is a personal preference. I am now mostly using MacPhun or On1 plugins on luminosity masks. Occasionally Topaz. YMMV

I use HDR Efex for real estate photography, with a custom profile it makes the most realistic files I have seen and with by far the most flexibility. I agree the overcooked look is horrible, for landscapes and especially for real estate.

Jun 19, 2017 at 02:06 PM
simonedf
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

FYI I've found this handy chart that lists Nik's Color Efex effects and it's Luminar counterpart.
It will make the transition easier for those of you moving to Macphun.

https://lightroomkillertips.com/nik-color-efex-pro-4-macphun-luminar-decoder-chart/

Jun 21, 2017 at 09:40 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

Why worry about what may or may not happen? I have CS6 standalone on my computers and it works fine with Nik software. My first choice even when Nik became free was to continue to use Topaz Labs as I prefer the user interface and I prefer the results.

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:29 PM
photo1a
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

ON1. I have had it for a long time, but avoided it because of the learning curve. I just now tried it with the black and white conversion. It works well.

Jul 05, 2017 at 11:27 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

If only there was an alternative to HDR EFex 2.0, I think I could find reasonable substitutes for the others and (reluctantly) separate myself from NIK. I have not seen anything that even comes close so far.

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:02 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

What would you use to replace Analog Efex Pro, please?

Jul 05, 2017 at 07:35 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RIP Nik Software. Any decent alternative?

Here's a nice comparison of several alternates:

https://lenscraft.co.uk/tutorial-nik-collection-alternative/

Jul 07, 2017 at 08:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.