FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Charlie N
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

MaTiHH wrote:
David, thanks for the excellent review, very well done!

As for the alternatives I used to shoot with the Minolta AF 135/2.8, low cost (around 150 used today), good image quality and sunstars and an excellent built. Nearly undestroyable, I'd say.

And it can do sunstars:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1492/24859187084_bce57006d8_b.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/DSHQeS]

Hamburg Speicherstadt 1[/url] by martin timmann, auf Flickr

amazing sunstars

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:23 PM
nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Why wouldn't eyeAF work?

It works and works well.

shibutg wrote:
Does eye AF work with this lens (batis 135mm f2.8)/A7Rii combination? If so, does eye AF along with tracking work with the same combo?

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:37 PM
Lawrence Blau
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Have finally bonded with the 135 batis. Took some great portraits and beach scenes last weekend. Love the batis line

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:29 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Outside of besotted aficionados, Zeiss lenses are often a slow burn towards total acceptance. After long term use, many learn to trust the basic integrity almost all of them have. We need more Batises, soon.

Aug 18, 2017 at 04:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

philip_pj wrote:
Outside of besotted aficionados, Zeiss lenses are often a slow burn towards total acceptance. After long term use, many learn to trust the basic integrity almost all of them have. We need more Batises, soon.

What Batis lenses do you think Zeiss is producing next?

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:54 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

philip_pj wrote:

Somehow, I believe that Zeiss overestimated the acceptance of the Batis 135mm at f/2.8 and came up with an absurd asking price for this lens. The acceptance will come after the price has come down; not only a little bit but by about 25% or so. Actually, if you know the source or sources, this lens can be had for approximately that price.

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:27 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Yes that price definitely puts it out of the masses of photographers. I think Zeiss would sell many more units if it was priced more in line with its other Batis cousins.

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:45 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

AGeoJO wrote:
Somehow, I believe that Zeiss overestimated the acceptance of the Batis 135mm at f/2.8 and came up with an absurd asking price for this lens. The acceptance will come after the price has come down; not only a little bit but by about 25% or so. Actually, if you know the source or sources, this lens can be had for approximately that price.

That is an understatement at best! I'm still very pleased with my Canon 135 f2 for shooting people. I don't use a 135 for much else. I would also expect Sony to release a 135 f2 eventually if they are serious about a full line of pro lenses. Is this lens that much better than the 70-200 2.8 GM or even the Canon 70-200 2.8II? I can understand it's nice to have more compact kit.

Aug 30, 2017 at 06:00 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

It's 300 to much. Okay I lost that last month at the track. This is getting old folks

Aug 30, 2017 at 07:41 PM
shibutg

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Seriously thinking about getting a 135mm to pair with my A7Rii, should I wait for the G Master 135mm (f/1.8?) or go with the Zeiss f/2.8?

Aug 30, 2017 at 09:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
What Batis lenses do you think Zeiss is producing next?

I think there are three possibilities.

1) A macro. Something like a 60 f/2.8 seemed like a strong possibility but now that the Voigtlander 65 f/2 has come out I think this seems less likely. There are now three strong macros for E mount. The 90 f/2.8 GM, the Voigtlander 65 f/2, and the FE 50 f/2.8. I don't see much room for Zeiss to offer something that will sell very well in this mix. So far Batis lenses were all introduced with little competition. I can't see how a macro could do that. So I would rate this as least likely.

2) A longer prime. I think a 200 f/2.8 APO prime to supplement the Basis 135 would be a nice addition, but I think the introduction of this lens will depend on how well the 135 sells. If the 135 sells well, I think this could well be the next one. If the 135 doesn't sell as well they might bring out something else first, which brings me to:

3) A zoom. I think a Batis 28-70 f/3.4 could sell really well. Especially if it is optically excellent and significantly smaller than the GM 24-70 f/2.8. If they have been planning and developing this lens it might also help explain why they haven't made a 28, 35, or 50. Right now we have the choice between an excellent 24-70 f/2.8 which is quite large and a small but only competent 24-70 f/4. An excellent performing lens that splits the difference in size and speed I think would both be welcome and would sell well.

Of course they could always make a very nice 28 or 35 or 50 and surprise us, but I think they have been reasonably clear that they aren't going there.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:16 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

GMPhotography wrote:
It's 300 to much. Okay I lost that last month at the track. This is getting old folks

A quick e-bay search shows that you can get it new from reputable dealers in Hong Kong for $1,650. I expect within a year the typical used price to be $1,500 and if/when Sony makes a GM 135 f/2 or f/1.8 that it will drop to about $1,250. I know may people will still balk at these prices, but I don't find them crazy. As I have said before, I think this situation is very similar to the reaction to the FE 55 f/1.8. That lens when it came out seemed unreasonably highly priced to people who were used to $100 nifty fifty made of plastic with lots of SA wide open. As people used the lens, however, they realized that it was something quite different and a lot better despite still being a small size. Most people now seem to realize for what you get the FE 55 f/1.8 is a reasonably value at its used price. I think we will say the same about this lens. It is not at all the same as the 135 f/2.8 lenses that have come before it. It is much better, but still quite small. And I think as used lenses become available and the used prices drop as would be expected it will be a reasonable value. Yes, the Canon 135 f/2, which is a very different lens, could be seen as a better value no doubt, but even though they are the same focal length I think it is still comparing apples and oranges. The Batis is a thoroughly modern lens with great sharpness across the frame from wide open and basically no colour fringing at all. The Canon has a wider aperture, nice sharpness and bokeh, but a fair amount of CA especially longitudinal CA at the wide aperture. It is also noticeably bigger especially with an adapter on the Sony. Quite different lenses in my book, and if the want the CA correction and the extreme sharpness across the frame and smaller size the Canon won't get you there. Conversely, if you want the fast aperture and gorgeous bokeh, the Batis won't get you there. In my view you should get whichever one gives you most what you want (although if you are in the market for the Canon there are other good options too).

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:31 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

1650 is a nice price. I consider that very fair.

It maybe the sharpest lens I have right now and I have some very good glass. The VC 65 should be a good challenge. Will see

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Steve Spencer wrote:

1) A macro. Something like a 60 f/2.8 seemed like a strong possibility but now that the Voigtlander 65 f/2 has come out I think this seems less likely. There are now three strong macros for E mount. The 90 f/2.8 GM, the Voigtlander 65 f/2, and the FE 50 f/2.8. I don't see much room for Zeiss to offer something that will sell very well in this mix. So far Batis lenses were all introduced with little competition. I can't see how a macro could do that. So I would rate this as
...Show more

I would be all over that Batis 28-70/3.4 zoom!

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Buy two bud one for me. Lol

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would be all over that Batis 28-70/3.4 zoom!

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:39 PM
MrTMan
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

shibutg wrote:
Seriously thinking about getting a 135mm to pair with my A7Rii, should I wait for the G Master 135mm (f/1.8?) or go with the Zeiss f/2.8?

It will probably come down to the question of size/weight vs. maximum aperture. And there's no right answer to that question, there are only individual preferences. All I can say, speaking for myself, is that I'm finding the DOF of the Batis to be sufficiently shallow, for my purposes.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:32 PM
peter1219

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

I have been using the batis 135 for few days and I am totally satisfied with its image quality, size and weight.
MrTMan wrote:
It will probably come down to the question of size/weight vs. maximum aperture. And there's no right answer to that question, there are only individual preferences. All I can say, speaking for myself, is that I'm finding the DOF of the Batis to be sufficiently shallow, for my purposes.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:00 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Steve Spencer wrote:

1) A macro. Something like a 60 f/2.8 seemed like a strong possibility but now that the Voigtlander 65 f/2 has come out I think this seems less likely. There are now three strong macros for E mount. The 90 f/2.8 GM, the Voigtlander 65 f/2, and the FE 50 f/2.8. I don't see much room for Zeiss to offer something that will sell very well in this mix. So far Batis lenses were all introduced with little competition. I can't see how a macro could do that. So I would rate this as
...Show more

This also begs the question, if Zeiss will compete with the Zony 24-70/4, given that they may not want to compete with the Zony 35/2.8 and Zony 55/1.8. If I combine the Contax inspired (due to the max aperture) 28-70/3.4 with a 200/2.8, I get a Batis 80-200/4 or a Batis 100-300/4.5-5.6. Maybe a Zeiss branded telezoom with a slightly shorter range than the Sony G equivalent could be a possibility? Perhaps it would sell better than a Batis 200/2.8? At the end of the day, this may be just as much a speculation about which lens is released first just as much as a speculation about what will actually ever get released.

A side note:I bought the original Contax hoods for my recently acquired Contax 100/2.8 and Contax 80-200/4. Now I realize what inspired Sony's rather big lens hoods for the Zony lenses, both A and E mount. Does Sony and/or Zeiss see the Sony and Zeiss partnership as the new Contax?

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

I'll be doing some corporate headshots the next 2 days which I have not shot the Batis yet on. Hopefully I can post some shots

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:13 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO Review

Well shot with the A9 and I had to follow what was shot before to match and not by me as I would never use this light a background. Anyway this is a Doctor not a model.

I added no sharpening. This is the Batis 135 with some airbrushing, it needs more.

Thats sharp folks

ILCE-9    Zeiss Batis 2.8/135 lens    135mm    f/6.3    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:27 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password