FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

monkey007
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

I believe they are sold also as Godox, Cheetalight and other brands. Currently I use Nikon D750, 3 Nikon flashes and Yongnuo YN622N + YN622N TX triggers. Sometimes I wish I had something more powerful, but still portable.

I'm really tempted buying the Flashpoint, but wondering what I need to buy and how to set it up. I don't need TTL, but would like to have HSS and being able to control the power output from a transmitter on camera. Can I use my Yongnuo controller to control the flash power? Any good place to buy in Canada?
thanks

May 29, 2017 at 09:48 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

monkey007 wrote:
I believe they are sold also as Godox, Cheetalight and other brands. Currently I use Nikon D750, 3 Nikon flashes and Yongnuo YN622N + YN622N TX triggers. Sometimes I wish I had something more powerful, but still portable.

I'm really tempted buying the Flashpoint, but wondering what I need to buy and how to set it up. I don't need TTL, but would like to have HSS and being able to control the power output from a transmitter on camera. Can I use my Yongnuo controller to control the flash power? Any good place to buy in Canada?
thanks

If you wanted to keep using your Yongnuo triggers, you should be able to use one of the receivers (same as you would with your Nikon speedlights) and put it on the hotshoe on the base of the AD360 (as long as you purchase the TTL version).

Otherwise, you can use the Godox triggers to control and trigger (X1, XT32)

May 29, 2017 at 09:54 PM
monkey007
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

If I buy the TTL version (which should have buit-in receiver), would it work with my YN622N and YN622TX without needing anything else? this is the TTL version
https://www.adorama.com/fplfsl360nk1.html#source=product

If I buy the Manual version, I believe would need to buy the Flashpoint transmitter, correct?

May 29, 2017 at 10:00 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

A little over a year ago, I faced a similar dilemma with multiple SB910's and PW triggers/receivers. I ended up selling the Nikon lights & PW's, and standardized on Cheetah and/or Adorama Flashpoint gear. Really happy with the decision.

Since you're apparently a Nikon user, be aware that the Godox X1 trigger (aka Flashpoint R2) treats 1/250 as HSS. This means that you will get noticeably under-exposed images at 1/250. As an alternative, you can trigger with an on-camera Cheetah V860X or Flashpoint Zoom LiOn.....which works fine at 1/250.

May 29, 2017 at 11:30 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

monkey007 wrote:
If I buy the TTL version (which should have buit-in receiver), would it work with my YN622N and YN622TX without needing anything else? this is the TTL version
https://www.adorama.com/fplfsl360nk1.html#source=product

If I buy the Manual version, I believe would need to buy the Flashpoint transmitter, correct?

No, the two companies use different wireless standards that donor communicates.

May 30, 2017 at 07:01 AM
monkey007
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

Thanks for all the replies. They very useful.
More research I do, more I want to change my lighting system.

This is what I'm thinking:
- sell all 3 Nikon flashes and all Yongnuo triggers/controllers.
- buy Godox AD360ii-N kit (including X1N controller, battery pack, twin power cable, Q clip and some other stuff), so no need to ganging up my 3 flashes to overpower the sun and one TT685N to replace the speedlight.

This way, I'll have portable and powerful system and cut down on triggers/batteries needed to run it.
Before I pull the plug, I want to know what do you guys think? Does is sound like a good idea? Any problems with this system?

May 30, 2017 at 09:49 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

monkey007 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. They very useful.
More research I do, more I want to change my lighting system.

This is what I'm thinking:
- sell all 3 Nikon flashes and all Yongnuo triggers/controllers.
- buy Godox AD360ii-N kit (including X1N controller, battery pack, twin power cable, Q clip and some other stuff), so no need to ganging up my 3 flashes to overpower the sun and one TT685N to replace the speedlight.

This way, I'll have portable and powerful system and cut down on triggers/batteries needed to run it.
Before I pull the plug, I want to know what do you guys
...Show more

Sounds like a pretty good plan. I can't imagine messing with external triggers ever again. You might consider the Lithium Ion version of the TT685 (V860ii I believe). The recycle time on the TT600/685 are not great, and I'd say worse than SB900s for instance.

On the whole, the Godox stuff is still the best option out there for me, but it is not without its shortcomings. I'd definitely recommend buying from a domestic reseller that has a warranty and can handle any service directly. Adorama has been good so far, just had a speedlight replaced last week and the turnaround time wasn't bad. Cheetah, MoLight, and a few others also back up their products or even offer service outside of warranty. Might be a little more expensive, but in the long run is probably worth it.

May 30, 2017 at 09:58 PM
monkey007
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

I was considering the V860ii vs TT685. I like the ability to plug in the external power pack with TT685, but not sure if this something I might need. And the TT685 is much cheaper.
I live in Canada and the best price for the AD360 I found on Amazon and for TT685 on ebay. I'm afraid that I don't get that service you mentioned. Buying at the local store is too expensive.

May 30, 2017 at 10:43 PM
Baduck
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

I was thinking about something similar and ended up ordering two Godox Witstro AD200. I have already a set of X1, triggers and receivers, that I use with my SB910s. I can use them also to trigger the AD200, so it made sense for me. The reviews on the AD200 are quite good, they are suppose to be less powerful than then AD360 (0.8 stops according to a review), but a lot more convenient, since everything is packed in a much smaller pack (they have an internal battery). I will get them tomorrow and I will use them for a wedding on Saturday, I will come back with some more feedback about them

May 31, 2017 at 05:55 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

monkey007 wrote:

thanks

You cannot control from Yongnuo controller, but you CAN HSS from it

You can control power from the R1 controller which is bundled with it:
https://www.adorama.com/fplfsl360k1.html

Jun 04, 2017 at 03:16 AM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

So many good options. I was going back and forth between the 360 and the 600 monolight a few months ago. I went with the monolight with a 48 rapid octabox. I'm very happy with my decision. It has opened up a lot of possibilities that I would get with less light output and when I don't need full output, I can get softer light due to more options with modifiers. That said, it is larger, heavier and a bit more effort to use. On the other hand, never worry about location lighting again

Jun 04, 2017 at 09:17 AM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flashpoint StreakLight 360Ws - help needed

Make sure you also check out the AD 200X. Not as much power, but is wireless and maybe more versatile. I'd recommend getting it or the 360 from Cheetastand. Edward Tang runs a great shop there. I bought my 360 there and now I want to pick up one of the 200's for a more portable setup.

JayT

Jun 09, 2017 at 11:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.