FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

rbf_ wrote:
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the RoboShoot triggers. I've heard good things about them particularly when regarding a Nikon + Fuji kit!

I just received the RoboShoot triggers and they are very easy to setup. No need to mess around initially. Just connect and adjust the FEC. The EF X20 and Nikon SB 910 work easy with no delays. I just need to sort out the exposure compensation and background. With Nikon D810 and D750 the options for flash exposure you almost need a manual, but it is superb.

The TTL flash with Fuji is more simply, but I still need to learn more

Jun 14, 2017 at 07:49 AM
rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

charles.K wrote:
I just received the RoboShoot triggers and they are very easy to setup. No need to mess around initially. Just connect and adjust the FEC. The EF X20 and Nikon SB 910 work easy with no delays. I just need to sort out the exposure compensation and background. With Nikon D810 and D750 the options for flash exposure you almost need a manual, but it is superb.

The TTL flash with Fuji is more simply, but I still need to learn more

Sounds like it will be fun learning to use these. This is the setup I would go for if I were to get back into doing portraiture. I've also been looking at the LED lighting solutions you mentioned to me and they have some nice panels. I like the Dracast studio panels and well as the Westcott LED wands a lot.

Jun 14, 2017 at 04:38 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

rbf_ wrote:
Sounds like it will be fun learning to use these. This is the setup I would go for if I were to get back into doing portraiture. I've also been looking at the LED lighting solutions you mentioned to me and they have some nice panels. I like the Dracast studio panels and well as the Westcott LED wands a lot.

LED are great for portraits in lower light. You basically can adjust the lighting quickly as you don' have to take test shots. I have both the ICE and Rota light. Simple and easy to use.

The RoboShoot is excellent but I still have see how well the TTL exposure works with the Fuji system. Having worked with Nikon recently you just realize how sophisticated the Nikon system yet simple. It means getting the right balance of subtle lighting correct each time. The TTL with Fuji is great but I feel the exposure system still needs tweaking.

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:52 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

Interesting conversations. It's sparked my desire to begin acquiring off-camera lighting for my Fuji X-T2 and XP2 kit. I'm hoping someone may have personal experience that would help with my selecting an appropriate solution. I've become spoiled with the Canon 600EX/ST-E3-RT system and would like something similar for the Fuji.

I'm looking for the following in the order of importance:

1. Reliability
2. TTL
3. HSS
4. Simplicity
5. Economy

I think I've found an "almost" with the Nissin system, but it appears that the HSS support is still waiting for a firmware update?

I know there are possibilities with the Roboshoot and Cactus, but they don't fit the simplicity requirement. I'd like to avoid stacking a bunch of pieces to assemble a system.

Any ideas or other systems to look at would be a great help.

Thanks,

John

Jun 15, 2017 at 03:10 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

Shot this late this evening casual portrait with the X100F with RoboShoot transmitter and Nikon SB 910 with light box. Flash -2 EV and X100F on manual exposure.

This system is so easy and just works.

X100F    23mm    f/2.0    1/100s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

X100F    23mm    f/2.0    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

photoelle
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

So, I played with a lot of different camera settings today, to further test the EF-X500 flash. I used a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s.

My horse show photography depends on very precise timing. The outside leg of the horse must be elevated and bent, or the customer will not be interested in buying.

Without a show today, I compromised by using youtube videos to assess the timing, so please excuse the awful quality. I'm looking strictly at the leg position of the horse.

So I shot with no flash, with TTL flash and also Manual flash.
The camera was set manually to f4 & 1/200 sec., AF on C

For me, there is a definite small lag in TTL. Shooting the same sequence over and over, with the same timing, TTL did not produce the same results as Manual flash, or no flash.
It was very slightly faster with the Vertical Grip added in Power Boost mode, but not much.

Manual flash

TTL flash

No flash

Jun 18, 2017 at 04:07 AM
jecottrell
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

photoelle wrote:
The camera was set manually to f4 & 1/200 sec., AF on C

I would try the same experiment again and use manual focus as well. That way you're eliminating all external influences except for flash processing. For TTL, there's going to be some lag for the pre-flash and the exposure processing. It would be interesting to see if the response is any quicker (and/or affected by the autofocus processing.)

I would try this comparison:

f4 & 1/200 sec., AF on C
vs.
f4 & 1/200 sec., AF on M

And then I would try anticipating the lead on the leg position on the lag and shoot based upon that. It appears your results are fairly consistent within each test. It should be easy to plan for the lead required.

Jun 18, 2017 at 07:18 PM
Elisha82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

I suspect that it is the AF Assist. Turn it off on both camera and flash. AF Assist shouldn't be working in AF-C anyway.
AF- C shouldn't be and issue it it is set to Release TTL or not.

Jun 18, 2017 at 09:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

Hi Lyn. I understand the frustration in getting the right timing. In the past I did a lot of horse reining events where I had to also capture the correct and timing sequence of the sliding stops, flying lead changes and spins.

My take is use the 5DIII with your TTL flash system for these events until we have the release of the new flashes by Godox and Nissin. I have had similar issues with my Sony A7rII/A7s with delays in TTL flash. I suspect this is with most MILC systems and appears to be resolved with the new A9.

As mentioned there will be some lag with TTL as there is a pre-flash. I don't know what settings can be changed to reduce this lag.

Of course you can use manual flash for now with XT2. The TTL delay issue may require a FW update from Fuji.

Jun 19, 2017 at 03:45 AM
photoelle
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji EF-X500 flash experiment

I did some more experimenting, and turning the AF totally off did not change the delay in TTL shooting.

I was hired to shoot at the Calgary Stampede, so I took both systems with me and continued to experiment in "real world" conditions with both TTL and Manual flash pix.

I used the XT2 for non-action classes with the EF-X500 flash set to manual, and had no problems using it. I even shot some action with that set up too. The ambient lighting was pretty good in there, so shot without flash too. Here is a link to some of the flash pix: showchampions.com

I used the 5D3 with flash for high action performance classes when the light was lower, because I didn't know how the XT2 with no TTL would handle large moving subjects like multiple horse hitches.

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:59 AM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password